What Happens to Hate in the Lifestream?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
When you die, your memories and feelings and learnings all return to the Planet. And you're born from it too, which means that move from cradle to grave as a kind of blood-filled sensory digit of the universe, eventually giving the-mother-of-all-reports when your time is up. The Lifestream that you return to is made wiser when you die. It grows when you imbue it all of your experiences, both inner and outer, in your brief and precious window called life.

Do hateful people scar the Lifestream? If their experience turns into soup and goes into babies, what happens to hate?

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I don't think so. I think both the good things and the bad things in the Lifestream eventually dilute together and cancel each other out, because that's how life be. :monster:

I think the only time strong emotions like hatred would ever affect the Lifestream would have to require a lotta Jenova Cells, like what Sephiroth did in Lifestream Black.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I think hatred and sadness are just as valuable life experiences as hope and happiness, so in my mind those memories would enhance the lifestream in the same way.

I think willpower (which, admittedly, is driven by emotion) is the biggest factor in determining one's ability to resist dissipating into or scarring the lifestream after death. Using just the original game as an example, Gi tribe members (non-Jenova beings) are able to resist returning to the planet purely due to their hatred. On the flip side, the spirits of the Cetra in the Temple of the Ancients refuse to return to the planet so that they may continue watching over the Black Materia. Here we see that righteous devotion is another avenue to "living" after death.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Hatred is what Sephiroth fed off of to gain strength in the Lifestream, so it obviously is an element that can be utilized in some respect. That feeling is what allowed him to concoct a Negative Lifestream when combined with Jenova's impurity tainting those who died.

I'm pretty certain (given how Nero described his power) that dark, corrupted, and unfilterable negative emotions/memories/etc are what compose the Stagnant Lifestream. It's why being too close to his power causes living people to be overcome with fear, despair, and other horrible emotions. That darkness is the corrupted, stagnated souls unable to fully pass on and cycle positively with the rest of the current of spirit energy, lending it to collect and becomes its own separate energy. That spirit energy is tortured, wailing in agony and rage, and becomes the "stagnation force" that composes Nero's power and Chaos.

Last edited:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I don't think so. I think both the good things and the bad things in the Lifestream eventually dilute together and cancel each other out, because that's how life be. :monster:

I think the only time strong emotions like hatred would ever affect the Lifestream would have to require a lotta Jenova Cells, like what Sephiroth did in Lifestream Black.

That makes sense, but I’m not so sure it cancels out, since we are able to have materia. Unless I’m misunderstanding something, I was under the impression that materia were condensed/crystallized Cetra memories (on casting spells) from the lifestream.

Reactions: Ite

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
That makes sense, but I’m not so sure it cancels out, since we are able to have materia. Unless I’m misunderstanding something, I was under the impression that materia were condensed/crystallized Cetra memories (on casting spells) from the lifestream.
Knowledge is knowledge and emotions are emotions? :wacky: On a more serious note, I guess whatever mako condenses into materia would have to be of strong significance, I can't imagine the lifestream spawning a piece of materia that summons a sandwich every time you use it. though it would be very useful.

Given all the funky stuff the lifestream can do with a physical form (ranging from materia to AC!Sephiroth to Chaos), I'm really looking forward to all sorts of things we could fight in future Remake parts, hehehehehehe.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I suspect it's more the focus that hate gives you that matters =I must accomplish my revenge, therefore I refuse to dissolve until I do. Presumably love could accomplish the same thing.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
I always thought that emotions like hate etc were a part of who we are so the concept of the lifestream bringing death and rebirth would just mean that whenever your reborn you may already have those qualities inside you but it doesn't necessarily define your being.

Reactions: Ite

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
When you die, your memories and feelings and learnings all return to the Planet. And you're born from it too, which means that move from cradle to grave as a kind of blood-filled sensory digit of the universe, eventually giving the-mother-of-all-reports when your time is up. The Lifestream that you return to is made wiser when you die. It grows when you imbue it all of your experiences, both inner and outer, in your brief and precious window called life.

Do hateful people scar the Lifestream? If their experience turns into soup and goes into babies, what happens to hate?

I thought you were talking about the hate on the forum? ? I'm not going into that love triangle debate again.

I had this exact thought today. People's confusion, insecurities, hatred. It all has to go into something.

Top Bottom