What parts of the story would you like to see expanded in the remake?

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
There are many parts of the story in the OG that we either get only a few snippets or are simply explained in dialogue without ever being shown at all. What would you like to see more of or presented more in depth? For me, the attack on Cosmo Canyon and Seto's fight through the Gi cave would be very interesting to see. All we get in the OG is Bugenhagen's explanation, but to actually see it would make it more real.

Of course, it would obviously have to not be shown until we actually see Seto in the back of the cave after beating Gi Nattak, to preserve the moment of his reveal and Red's discovery of his father's true fate. But a flashback right after that point, when Bugen begins to explain, could work. And a playable flashback would be even better - imagine playing as Seto during that time, with the living Gi Nattak as a boss to parallel your fight with the undead version of him in the present time.

Possibly an initial flashback of young Red and the attack to show his father's departure from his point of view so we can better understand why he initially thought as he did, and then the other half, from Seto's point of view during his battle through the Gi cave, could be shown after you find him turned to stone at the back. And perhaps in a playable form, as I mentioned above. Then bring things back to the present after Seto's battle with living Gi Nattak and being hit with the poisoned arrows, to where Bugen asks Cloud to give him and Red a moment alone. That would make what follows even more impactful and emotional, I think, after having actually seen (and possibly played through) what really happened.

Another part of the story that I think would be interesting to see more of would be Aerith and Iflana's time in Hojo's lab, how they escaped, and how Hojo was able to track them down to Icicle Inn in the first place. We know he was waiting for Aerith to be born, but how did he even know Ifalna was pregnant? How did he know that Professor Gast had taken her north, and what caused him to leave with her in the first place? It could be interesting to see some of these things. And, it never occurred to me until today, but given that Aerith was a child in Hojo's lab for a time, and so was Sephiroth (having been a subject of Hojo's experiments himself), it may be possible that they met while they were both still there before she escaped. He'd have been older than her by at least a few years since she didn't arrive until after Dr. Gast, her father, was killed, and we know that Sephiroth knew Gast and respected him.

So I would guess that he was likely a teenager by the time Aerith came to the lab, but they still could have been friends during that time, especially if he found out that she was Gast's daughter. Given this was before his descent into madness, he was still human at the time. A bit cold and aloof, perhaps, but not the evil that he would one day become. It would be nice to see more of this side of him, so we know more of who he was before the events of Nibelheim, and more of his relationship with Dr. Gast so we can see why he had such respect for him. It's likely Gast treated him decently, as a human being rather than a test subject, which would have been a stark contrast to Hojo, who we know Sephiroth hated.

It seems to me that, in the wake of the disappearance of the only man likely to have ever treated him with kindness and decency, Sephiroth may have become more withdrawn than he already was. We know he felt different than everyone else, so it's not an unreasonable assumption, I think. Then one day he finds out that that man is dead and his wife and daughter are test subjects in the lab with him. I could see Ifalna trying reach out to him, maybe sensing the dark side laying dormant within him but not knowing of his origins any more than he did at the time. Sephiroth might have formed a friendship with her and Aerith back then, perhaps even helped them to escape when that time came, knowing how it is to be a lab rat and perhaps feeling he owed it to Dr. Gast for all the kindness he had shown him before he left.

Having all of that backstory and previous relationship with Aerith from their days together in Hojo's lab would make what happens between them during the present have even more of an impact than it already will. It's likely, given how young she was during her days in the lab and how many years have passed since then, that Aerith wouldn't remember knowing Sephiroth back then, at least not initially. But perhaps at some point in the journey before she leaves the group, she does, which would add even more weight to her decision to leave and face him alone, perhaps to try and reach him as her mother may have and help him as he may have once helped her. We know the outcome, but having this motivation on top of why she's already going, to pray for Holy to save the Planet and stop him regardless, I think would make it even better as well as the moments that flow from all of that and what he ultimately does to her in the end.

Obviously, more of Cloud and Zack's backstory would be great to see as well, whether it follows Crisis Core or not, especially if we get Zack playable in some of those segments. And more of Vincent's history as well. We saw it in Dirge, but we don't know if the Remake timeline will follow that or not, so it would be good to see and experience it in detail so we can know for sure. What moments and parts of the story would you guys like to see more of that were only hinted at or shown pieces of in the OG? I'm sure there's a bunch I haven't thought of, so feel free to chime in. :)

Last edited:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Very quickly:
I think I'm personally interested in whatever expands world-building aspects of the game. Feeling that the society you're in is a legacy of past historical events greatly helps immersion. For instance, I'd like more context on what could have motivated the development of Junon as an ultra-militaristic town with a giant canon pointing to the ocean, since Costa del Sol doesn't seem much of a threat. Stuff like that.
One idea that I like in Skyrim is how you can recognize the different architecture styles of the ruins you're treading into, each being connected to a distinct historical era. History doesn't have to be told, it can be seen. I would like it very much if FF7:R could develop similar concepts.

I agree 100% with Mayo. But with one proviso. The forgetting of the past which we see everywhere in this game seems to me to be an essential part of its world-building. What were the villages beneath Midgar called? Nobody remembers. What god or gods were worshipped in Aerith's church? No one seems to know or care. What's this strange entity buried in the ice? Nobody remembers any stories attached to it, but we've vaguely heard of Cetra, so it must be one of those. Cloud's loss of memory, and the loss of identity this entails, is mirrored by society at large. Almost everybody seems to be suffering from advanced amnesia. Or maybe Khorsakov's, a side effect of getting too drunk on materialism and the easy life.

I'd love to see a more richly developed physical past in their world, but I'd also like to keep the sense that nobody really remembers, or cares, much about it.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I agree with everything mentioned above. Additionally, I'm curious about elaborations on the following areas:
  • I'd love to see and learn more about Fort Condor. We hear Shinra are eager to conquer it to take back the reactor. However, a very basic Tower Defense game doesn't really convey that threat as well as it should in my opinion.
  • Also, more on the Wutai War would be nice.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm all for world-building, but don't get carried away. I love this world because of the story the game told, not the other way around. By all means, give me all the world details you like, but don't wreck the pacing to do it. Losing the trees for the forest, so to speak :monster:

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Not so much an expansion on story, but perhaps a bit of foreshadowing regarding the later members of the party would be fun. We're told Shinra are restarting their space program, so why not see Cid and the rocket mentioned in news reports in Midgar and Junon? Some allusions to Vincent via Turks membership records in Shinra HQ, or wanted posters for a mysterious materia thief from Fort Condor onward, little things like that would be cool.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Going from getting Cid to the Gold Saucer is super random. I’d love the Weapon Seller to be expanded on.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Flash-backs of Tseng secretly watching Aerith grow up maybe? Reno's time on medical leave after the bombing of Sector 7. Maybe even a bit of extended flash-backs of Cloud and Tifa's childhood.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Leader of the Turks. He too was in the OG and so on in the Compilation(the exception of Dirge of Cerberus since Rufus and the Turks do not make any appearance in that game even though they should've been I have to admit).

I thought everyone knew of Tseng's existence.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I can't tell if you're joking or not.

But the Turks are ShinRa Company's Elite group to handle more secretive assignments. While they are the side-antagonists of the OG and are signed to be cold blooded killers and kidnappers and whatnot, they're not completely heartless as they actually have more a nicer side when they're allowed to show it off.

Plus, Tseng has a soft spot for Aerith and Reno secretly cares for the other Turks and by understood the situation of the world and Cloud and the otehrs's intentions by the end of the game. In Advent Children, the Turks are no longer hostile to Cloud's group.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Yeah, but what I'm saying is that while Tseng was ordered to bring Aerith in for ShinRa due the false belief she held the secret location of what President ShinRa thought the "Promised Land" was like, he instead left it for years and watched her grow up hoping she would go with him the less violent way. Plus he ordered the other Turks not to attack when Aerith, Cloud and the others saw him in the Mythril Mines.

Well, they are important in some respects. In the OG you have to fight them a couple of times, while in Wutai you team up with them to rescue Yuffie and Elena(another member and the last person to join the Turks) from Don Corneo. Not to mention given the choice not to fight them for the last time, Reno, Rude and Elena part ways peacefully from Cloud's group after they realized that there was no need to fight the protagonists anymore.

Plus Tseng did give the Key to the Temple of Ancients to Cloud and there is a flash-back of him being stabbed by Sephiroth but he managed to survive as explained in the "On the Way to a Smile" book and his appearance in "A Turks Side Story" book, Advent Children(despite it being more minor than both the OG and in Crisis Core).

I'm surprised not everyone remembers the Turks. But then again I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Tasha, just ignore this dude cause they're trolling and report them. :monster:

I think I will do that. Plus, I like the Turks, but I am also aware that not everyone likes them.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Tasha, just ignore this dude cause they're trolling and report them. :monster:

I'm really sorry. Now it's my fault that this is happening and all I did was mention the Turks and one of the few things I do kind of like to see expanded. I'm really, deeply sorry for having wished that in the first place.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I'd also like to see the expansion of the Cloud's group's first visit of the Gold Saucer along with more Arcade Mini Games.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
...I'm also kinda looking forward to Aerith seeing the Highwind too and both her and Cloud talking in Sector 6 Playground. I mean, I love all of the protagonists too and I am sad of what Cloud had to go through and upset how Aerith had to die and sometimes do wish there was a sequel where she came back to life.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Okay, look. I AM SORRY ABOUT THIS OKAY!? I didn't mean for any of this to happen! Just don't take it out on everyone else, PLEASE! I didn't mean to upset you!

Tasha, it's all okay. Honestly. Nobody's blaming you. The guy's been removed now. He was a sicko. If he hadn't picked on you, he'd have picked on someone else. You didn't do anything wrong; you were just unlucky enough to wander into his gunsights. Please don't upset yourself. If anyone should be apologising, it should be that creep, but he won't because he achieved exactly what he set out to do: provide us all with a very nasty experience. He's gone now. It's all good.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Actually you know I don’t think I’ve ever done anything else, even my accidental first play through.

I completely missed Wutai my first time, lol. Wound up going there just exploring with the Highwind. A little more annoying as you have so much more materia by then, but also way overlevelled so crushed everything. :monster:

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
Someone made a similar thread on reddit and a comment caught my eye. It’s fairly simple but the immersion it brings would be amazing whilst adding to story elements possibly.

Felixoshea says:
“In terms of group travel...I have to say I CANNOT WAIT to just be able to run around the world map with your chosen characters and have them swap ambient dialogue like in FFXV. It'll serve as great encouragemwnt to swap your party members around to hear everything everyone has to say when you're just... on the road, as it were.
However, there's something else I'd love to see. You know in FFXV, after you spend the night in a hotel in town, when you get up, Noctis is on his own, and the other guys will just be scattered around town, and you have a little 'good morning' each time you find one of them? Imagine if whatever town you arrive at in FF7R, your non-party member teammates are just in town, chilling. You go to the Gongaga item store, and Barret is there stocking up, or Tifa is checking out her old house (kind of) in Nibelheim. Nanaki spending time with his grandad. That'd be a really cool touch to make them feel like real people.”

Now imo this has fantastic potential.

Top Bottom