What was the deal with Denzel?

ExampleZ

Pro Adventurer
Square kept forcing this kid on us in Advent Children (especially the Complete edition) to the point where he got more screen time than most of our beloved heroes, yet he never appeared again in anything afterwards. I guess they finally got the message that nobody cares about Denzel, but why did they focus on him so much when he barely did anything the whole movie, and his role could have just as easily been filled by Marlene?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Lol I'd actually managed to forget about Denzel.

I think the short answer is: they have no idea what the fuck they are doing. They have a terrible habit of inventing redundant characters nobody gives a fuck about and then giving them an inordinate amount of screen time/story.

Each of the original games characters could have had more development, backstory etc and they continually waste opportunities to do that. As for why that happens, if I wanted to be charitable I'd say they're too afraid of disappointing fans who have built up their own head canons over the last 20+ years, that it's an impossible legacy to live up to.

/Rant.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
The name of the movie is Advent Children... so I guess that's why. The movie wants to show how the corrupted lifestream is affecting a new generation (that also reflects on the fact the villains are young), and how Aerith is ever-present and that, despite being dead, is able to heal those infections. Its a cycle: bring your Sephiroths, Jenovas, and KH gigantic dark bosses, life will find a way and get rid of black goo viruses... for some time.

Last edited:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
This thread title is mandatorily narrated by Jerry Seinfeld in my head. :monster:

I personally like Denzel. He’s a brave but vulnerable kiddo who lost everything. I enjoy his backstory and how he gave a face to platefall. That being said, I think most of us will agree that AC as a standalone narrative is a complete mess. It can’t stand on its own and needs the context of the novels. A good movie should be a cohesive product with sufficient exposition and resolution for all of its essential characters, but it isn’t, so I reconcile that disappointment by viewing AC as a part of a serialized, episodic narrative (accompanied by Nojima’s novellas - AC being “Case of Cloud”).

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
I'm absolutely hurt by the existence of this thread lol Denzel is my pure child!! :rage:

Jokes aside, I agree with everything @Ryvius said. Plus, I don't think Denzel's importance was supposed to be more than what was showed to us in ACC, ie. a representation of their past sins and a way for them to atone for these same sins.

Last edited:

ExampleZ

Pro Adventurer
This thread title is mandatorily narrated by Jerry Seinfeld in my head. :monster:

I personally like Denzel. He’s a brave but vulnerable kiddo who lost everything. I enjoy his backstory and how he gave a face to platefall. That being said, I think most of us will agree that AC as a standalone narrative is a complete mess. It can’t stand on its own and needs the context of the novels. A good movie should be a cohesive product with sufficient exposition and resolution for all of its essential characters, but it isn’t, so I reconcile that disappointment by viewing AC as a part of a serialized, episodic narrative (accompanied by Nojima’s novellas - AC being “Case of Cloud”).

I'd argue that AC/C with the context of the game is even worse, but that's a rant for another thread. And iirc the novels weren't released outside of Japan until many years after the fact, and even if they were released at the right time it still wouldn't fix the incoherent mess of plot holes, retcons and contradictions that is Advent Children.

I'm absolutely hurt by the existence of this thread lol Denzel is my pure child!! :rage:

Jokes aside, I agree with everything @Ryvius said. Plus, I don't think Denzel's importance was supposed to be more than what was showed to us in ACC, ie. a representation of their past sins and a way for them to atone for these same sins.

They could have made him appear in the remake, though I'm kind of glad they didn't since it's already chock full of pointless references.

Top Bottom