• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

What would you like to see a remake do?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
WHY YES MY GOOD SIR

Except it felt like everything in the game had the viscosity of rubber cement. The transition from field screen to battle was kinda slow, and so were the battles themselves. If it had been sped up more to the rate of FFVII (personally I thought VIII was just a wee bit too fast), it would've been better. But I fucking HATED battles in that game, and exploring...why the fuck is there a question mark over my head to bring my attention to crap? Half the fun is wandering around figuring out what you can interact with on your own!

Learning skills was fine (standard method - it's basically the same in Tales of Vesperia, frex); synthing was standard; but I didn't care for Trance thaaat much (cool and all, but why does it last four turns, y'know?), and the actual Trance stuff for most of the characters was insanely generic (Double Black/White/Summon, as an example).

I DID, however, really like the way they set up Quina's Blue Magic function - basically, not that different from that one ability in FFVIII (Consume or something? you learned it from Eden, and it could boost stats?).

Fuck...I miss Blue Magic/Enemy Skills. ILU BIG GUARD ;.;

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
I got NO problem doing that. Send a plane ticket pls. :monster:

And no. No Dark Aeons. They were put into the Japanese re-release and the PAL (Europe and Aussie) releases...along with the new abilities and everything. ;.;
*opens wallet* ...? *peers inside* ...The moth's dead. ;.; We'll just have to settle for olde tyme insults across the net. :monster: "I say, I say, I say! That's a shocking bad hat, sir!"

Well, I've always heard about SE adding stuff to the PAL releases to make up for the delay, but I've always taken it with a pinch of salt.

Actually, one change in a VIII remake - correct Kiros' weapons. For godssakes, it's katar, not katal. Just about the only translation mistake in VIII, IIRC.

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
Why so sidequest hate? =/

I'm glad you asked. I hate this apparent move the series is making to where the games are like 75% irrelevent sidequests. If I wanted that, I'd play some MMO. Sidequests are often tedious & lack the rewarding aspect of finding out more about the setting or story. As well, I just have no interest in super bosses. I don't play enough to beat them normally, & the experience feels kind of cheapened when each version comes up with a new superboss, anyway.

Your explanation of the Dark Aeons...really makes no sense. I just don't know how else to say it. The only time the Aeons should become "Dark" is when they're hijacked by some malevolent force, like Shuyin or Yu Yevon. Those situations made sense. "Really strong random summonings" do not. Every other time you fight the Aeons, they are normal.

It's still the amazingness that IS Tactics, but where's the polish?

Now I'm kind of seeing what you're getting at. I would have preferred them to fix Cloud & make the ending better, but I don't want a "facelift." Extra content is fine. Retranslation is fine. But the graphics, while simplistic, worked. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Especially if you're trying that nostalgia thing.

Especially when they dick around & ruin stuff. I used to have a summoner that was absolutely awesome. Now I kind of want to kick my new summoner off the team. He's way too slow to do anything really beyond the first tier summons.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
*opens wallet* ...? *peers inside* ...The moth's dead. ;.; We'll just have to settle for olde tyme insults across the net. :monster: "I say, I say, I say! That's a shocking bad hat, sir!"

Well, I've always heard about SE adding stuff to the PAL releases to make up for the delay, but I've always taken it with a pinch of salt.
Have at you! :monster:

Yep, it's true. I dunno if the PAL version has language select (Europeans and all), but it's basically the exact same as the International re-release of FFX (which was only released in...Japan). Except the original Japanese International version came with this bonus DVD with some extra content on it (interviews and such I think), including the very first cutscene stuff for X-2 (which was basically the bit with Shuyin all locked up and shit).

I'm glad you asked. I hate this apparent move the series is making to where the games are like 75% irrelevent sidequests. If I wanted that, I'd play some MMO. Sidequests are often tedious & lack the rewarding aspect of finding out more about the setting or story. As well, I just have no interest in super bosses. I don't play enough to beat them normally, & the experience feels kind of cheapened when each version comes up with a new superboss, anyway.

Your explanation of the Dark Aeons...really makes no sense. I just don't know how else to say it. The only time the Aeons should become "Dark" is when they're hijacked by some malevolent force, like Shuyin or Yu Yevon. Those situations made sense. "Really strong random summonings" do not. Every other time you fight the Aeons, they are normal.
Umm...that's what they do. They're all summoned by Yevon summoners trying to ASSASSINATE you. And since, by that time, Yevon WAS a malevolent force...you get the idea.

Well, except for Anima, which WAS pretty damn random (you redo the ball-throwing minigame at Gagazet, then go the entrance of Gagazet, where the Ronso were hanging out...OSHIT GIANT FISH THING OMGGGGG). Even the Magus Sisters are summoned by these three sisters that chase you along Mushroom Rock Road.

Ifrit's might be the best, however - being summoned in Bikanel at the entrance to Home, and hiding under a cliff overhang that its summoner takes you to "to find her lost baby" :monster:

It's just an extra challenge. They're much harder than even the hardest of the Arena bosses (and that's saying something). But games aren't too sidequest oriented, really. Except X-2, which was nothing BUT sidequests. Which sucked.

A good game is going to have plenty of sidequests, but all of them will be completely unnecessary to complete the game, and most of them won't really be referenced without going back and finding them the hard way. Tactics had ONE sidequest, period. This was not awesome.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Except the original Japanese International version came with this bonus DVD with some extra content on it (interviews and such I think), including the very first cutscene stuff for X-2 (which was basically the bit with Shuyin all locked up and shit).

The European version came with a bonus DVD too. :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
A good game is going to have plenty of sidequests, but all of them will be completely unnecessary to complete the game, and most of them won't really be referenced without going back and finding them the hard way. Tactics had ONE sidequest, period. This was not awesome.

It had at least four: recruiting Cloud, recruiting Beowulf and Reis, turning Reis back to normal, and the Deep Dungeon/Midlight's Deep.

Granted, the first three were sort of part of the same overall quest, but, still, you didn't have to do all parts of it. For that matter, if you got Reis as a dragon and then never bothered to go to Nelveska Temple, she'd remain a dragon.

And that's not getting into the extra stuff the War of the Lions version has.

Last edited:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
It had at least four: recruiting Cloud, recruiting Beowulf and Reis, turning Reis back to normal, and the Deep Dungeon/Midlight's Deep.

Granted, the first three were sort of part of the same overall quest, but, still, you didn't have to do all parts of it. For that matter, if you got Reis as a dragon and then never bothered to go to Nelveska Temple, she'd remain a dragon.

And that's not getting into the extra stuff the War of the Lions version has.
Exactly. To get Cloud, you had to do all the other crap to get Beowluf and Reis. Please tell me you're not also counting going to the volcano to get the Materia Sword as a sidequest, too. :awesome:

There's a bunch of extra battles, yeah, but none of them are really...sidequest-y. If that makes sense. They're almost all one-shot battles that don't really do much to fill out the story and give you crap (except for the one that's about Beowulf and Reis).

And for the record - anyone who doesn't bother to get at LEAST Beowulf in their party utterly fails at life and, frankly, should just go kill themselves right now.

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
The Dark Aeon thing REALLY doesn't work. Yu Yevon & Shuyin were hate-filled ghost monsters who directly hijacked the Fayth. Yevon is a religion. The Aeons come from & belong to Yevon. When I say, "malevolent force," I don't mean they slid a little down towards the moral event horizon. If that were all it took, Seymour should have had a Dark Anima. Perhaps even Issaru's & other summoners' Aeons should have been "Dark." Even the Unsent don't typically have Dark Aeons. It clearly takes a lot to corrupt them.

Top Bottom