• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

When do you think it will be released?

When will it be released?

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 19 48.7%

Votes: 14 35.9%

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 2020 (moved to Playstation 5)

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I was watching a gamespot video about the remake and the game journalists were asked when they thought it would be released. One of them said Q3 2019 and that really struck me not because I thought it was impossible, but because I thought it was probable.

Unless Cyberconnect2 has 200 people working on this I simply cant see it coming out by 2017. Now the Playstation 5 can be expected around 2019 and absolutely no later then 2020. This may affect the release date.

Final Fantasy XIII was 3.5 years from its first trailer to release. But Im sure most of us are hoping for this remake to be more expansive then that game. Which of course means a longer period of development. But the PS4 is easier to make games for and this is a remake which should help alot.

My mind says 2020 but my heart thinks 2018

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Gonna have to agree... 2018 seems most likely. 2017 just feels too rushed, and if they wait much longer than 2018, they'll start pissing off the fans.

Although... do we know how long it's already been in development? I could swear I read somewhere that things were further along than just having a trailer, and actual production had begun. Or maybe I'm dreaming.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
This is the thing. We don't know just when this was started. If it was 6 months ago then I'd rather the release date be 2020 because I don't want a bare bones game. I think they've been at it for a while though so 2018 for me.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I believe it's been stated that the game has been in development for about eighteen months.

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
2018 would give it a 5-year timeline for development (started it 18 months ago) which I think is reasonable for a game of the scope of FFVII.

Nice to see people's expectations are realistic, at least on here.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I'm optimistic about 2017. It's been in development already for a while and he'll have something to show us at Christmas. Granted, Nomura's got his hands in the cookie jar here and he's not the most punctual person on staff...

Last edited:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I'd say 2018, because I want to be original.:monster:
That being said, I would not mind them taking their sweet time about it in order to polish it (what's one or two more years to wait?), I wouldn't like them to rush it for the sake of the 20th anniversary.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Yeah, Nomura said they've had it in the works for a year and a half already before they showed off the trailer.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
2018 would give it a 5-year timeline for development (started it 18 months ago) which I think is reasonable for a game of the scope of FFVII.

Unless you mean the end of 2018 as a release date wouldn't that actually be a 4-year timeline for development? As 1.5 years ago is early 2014, and 2018 -2014= 4.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I think the release date depends on how fast Cyberconnect2 is, how expansive are they actually making the game, and how quickly Square can finish FFXV in order to devote more staff to it.

If you look at the Grand Theft Auto series, they spare no expense and are rewarded for it. They spend 200 million making the game but get back over a billion in sales.

I really think this game has the strong possibility to sell 10m units again. Its going to release on the PS4 when the console will be at its strongest, maybe as cheap as $249, and there will already be 10s of millions of them in the wild - and then it will release on the Xbox One and then most likely PC. I can see it doing 6m on PS4, 3m on Xbox One and 1m on PC. At least. Theres no reason to spare any expense here. Finish up FFXV and Kingdom Hearts III and put all hands on deck with this thing.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I reckon it'll be 2020 and be forced to move to PS5, like how FF Versus XIII was supposed to be for PS3 but ended up moved to PS4 and having it's title and everything changed.

Similiar thing could happen to the remake, and *Half Sarcasm, half joke* who knows, maybe it'll be changed and be turned into the final chapter of the Compilation of FFVII *back to normal* since we all know how Nomura took forever with FFXV to the point where he left all together and Tabata took over.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Now the Playstation 5 can be expected around 2019 and absolutely no later then 2020. This may affect the release date.

Isn't it more likely to expect the PS5 in 2020 with 2021 being the absolute latest release year? The amount of development time between the PS2 and PS3 was 6.66 years and 7 years for the amount of time between the PS3 and PS4 release dates. Isn't expecting the PS5 to come out in 2019 a little early for a release date expectation?

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer

Unless you mean the end of 2018 as a release date wouldn't that actually be a 4-year timeline for development? As 1.5 years ago is early 2014, and 2018 -2014= 4.

They've been working on it for 18 months. We're in the middle of 2015. End of 2018 would be 3.5 years.

So, yes. That's what I meant.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Now the Playstation 5 can be expected around 2019 and absolutely no later then 2020. This may affect the release date.

Isn't it more likely to expect the PS5 in 2020 with 2021 being the absolute latest release year? The amount of development time between the PS2 and PS3 was 6.66 years and 7 years for the amount of time between the PS3 and PS4 release dates. Isn't expecting the PS5 to come out in 2019 a little early for a release date expectation?

If your just basing it around the time frame from PS3 to PS4 then yes '20/'21 is likely.

However consoles got alot of flack last gen from developers and gamers that the PS3/360 generation of consoles lasted too long (7 years). 512mbs of memory for 7 years was a nightmare for developers. And gamers showed their thirst for a new console by buying the PS4 at a record setting pace.

Its also should be noted the PS4 wasnt quite as powerful as new consoles normally are - but it was like that to keep the price reasonable and make it just profitable for Sony.

So I think in the future we'll see consoles released every 5-6 years at a lower price point. They'll be very powerful, but not cutting edge like they use to be. I think Sony Microsoft etc learned that a 7 year console generation is too long.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I see 2017 is catching 2018 in the poll. Thats interesting. If they release it in 2017 I wonder if the game will be all that expansive.

The scary part in all this is the fact a long development cycle is no indicator of the quality of a game. Theres been games which took 5 years to make and have turned out terrible, while others that took 5 years turned out great.

Anyways, outsourcing to Cyberconnect2 is key in all of this. If done right, this could help get a massive game in our hands rather soon. If you look at racing game franchises, Forza releases new games about twice as fast as it's rival, Gran Turismo. The Forza team accomplishes this by outsourcing alot of the work, while the Gran Turismo team does everything 100% in house. And it hasnt hurt Forza's quality any if at all, the franchise still has higher review scores then Gran Turismo.

It will be interseting to see how it all plays out.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I'd like to think 2017 for the 20th anniversary, but 2018/9 seems more likely. The fact we've only seen a trailer and no gameplay yet seems to be an indicator. I think that if we do see gameplay next year, then 2017 COULD be likely. It'll be a missed golden opportunity otherwise.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I've been off for a few days, is it official that they're outsourcing to CyberConnect2 now? Because last I checked I couldn't find trustful source about this (citing an interview).

I personnally put 2020 because I expect they will be late. XD

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
I see 2017 is catching 2018 in the poll. Thats interesting. If they release it in 2017 I wonder if the game will be all that expansive.

The scary part in all this is the fact a long development cycle is no indicator of the quality of a game. Theres been games which took 5 years to make and have turned out terrible, while others that took 5 years turned out great.

Anyways, outsourcing to Cyberconnect2 is key in all of this. If done right, this could help get a massive game in our hands rather soon. If you look at racing game franchises, Forza releases new games about twice as fast as it's rival, Gran Turismo. The Forza team accomplishes this by outsourcing alot of the work, while the Gran Turismo team does everything 100% in house. And it hasnt hurt Forza's quality any if at all, the franchise still has higher review scores then Gran Turismo.

It will be interseting to see how it all plays out.

The problem with outsourcing is that often times the quality isn't there. A recent example is the latest Batman game. The only outsourced version is the PC version which had to be pulled from Steam it was so buggy.

Top Bottom