Where Did Cloud Get the Fusion Swords?

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
This is bugging me now that I think about it. They're quite the unique weapon, Cloud didn't just walk into a store and pick them up, they must have come from somewhere. They didn't mention them at all in CoT, so Cloud must have gotten them somewhere in that period between AC and CoT.

So, anyone have a clue how he got a hold of those things? Does Case of Shinra make any mention maybe?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Where did Sephiroth get the Masamune? :awesome:

Where did Angeal buy the Buster Sword? Who forged it?

No, its not mentioned in Case of Shinra at all. Why would it be?

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Where did Sephiroth get the Masamune? :awesome:

No, its not mentioned in Case of Shinra at all. Why would it be?

I dunno, maybe they sent it to him as a bribe in preparation for hiring him? :p.

Good question too. It was possibly custom-made by Shinra for him. Given that Sephiroth, and what the hell Genesis too, were such high-ranking SOLDIER, maybe Shinra made them custom weapons.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
It would be fucking awesome if Sephiroth got his Masamune from the first guy he killed in Wutai. Or even better, after the first battle he won in Wutai and he lifted it from some Wutai General he just punched into orbit.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's possible, but its one of the little, fun mysteries left to us that we can toy with. Maybe there's some badass custom weapon maker in FFVII who took Cloud's request. Or maybe he just found them in a chest. :awesome:

Gale

Read My Mind
Considering some guy out there made two fully-functional machine gun arms for Dyne and Barret I'd guess there's at least one decent craftsman Cloud met who could have whipped it up for him.

Masamune was probably a custom job comissioned by Shinra. People associate it soley with Sephiroth so I doubt he just found one in Wutai.

Or I'm completely wrong as some spinoff will show in four or so years.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
People associate it soley with Sephiroth so I doubt he just found one in Wutai.

If anything, I don't think anyone is saying he found one in Wutai, implying there's tons of them laying around.

He took it from the top shelf of a wardrobe in a bedroom in an impoverished fisherman's house in Lower Junon. While Cloud's many psychological problems are often analysed on these boards, I find his kleptomania is rarely discussed.

Either that or it comes with the bike as an optional extra. The sword and the bike are literally made for each other, so wherever he got the bike from, he got the sword, I reckon.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
It's possible, but its one of the little, fun mysteries left to us that we can toy with. Maybe there's some badass custom weapon maker in FFVII who took Cloud's request. Or maybe he just found them in a chest. :awesome:

There is one in FFVII, the guy that lives alone and Dio bullied into giving him the Keystone. I'm sure the guy would have stuff that he needs delivered to him, so it's concievable that after ditching the Buster Sword, Cloud made a delivery to the guy and the started talking/Cloud robbed his house clean.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
After saving the world, I'm sure there are weaponscrafters that would jump at the chance to make a new weapon for the hero of the world. And even if there weren't, you've got SO MUCH gil by the end of FF7 :monster:

Gale

Read My Mind
While I don't doubt that being part of the team that stopped Meteor offers enough fame that some eager craftsman would offer to forge Cloud a weapon, Avalanche doesn't seem particularly famous. I'm sure their exploits are known, but considering that two of its members live in Edge and that they aren't constantly approached by thankful townsfolk shows that they don't exactly have a fanclub.

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
M-Mira, crackitlackin, Izaya Orihara, SAILOR NARU, Sharon Rainsworth, Mara, Brosuke Hanamura, Commissioner Gordon, Santa Claus, Lenneth Valkyrie

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
M-Mira, crackitlackin, Izaya Orihara, SAILOR NARU, Sharon Rainsworth, Mara, Brosuke Hanamura, Commissioner Gordon, Santa Claus, Lenneth Valkyrie
Oh no, Sephy's a capable and independent boy. He carves his own path...

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Honestly, I'm going to go out on a limb and throw out my own postulation regarding the origins of the Masamune.

Within each FF story and universe, there always exists a set of legendary weapons that house phenomenal power. They're usually the same within the mythos of Final Fantasy. Ragnarok, Excalibur, the Assassin's Dagger, Yoichi's Bow, The Holy Lance, etc.

One of those consistent ultimate weapons is the Masamune. I think it's more than likely that during one of his SOLDIER missions, Sephiroth came upon the ancient sword while either exploring, or fighting a creature that held it. Where did it come from? Who the fuck knows. Where do all of the other ultimate weapons come from? Why was the Spirit Lance in a cave in Wutai? Why was Ultima WEAPON carrying around the Ultima WEAPON sword? Why was the Apocalypse in the Ancient Forest?

It just...was. I think that the Masamune is just one of the legendary ultimate weapons of FFVII and Sephiroth got his dirty hands on it.

The Buster Sword is a custom made, one of a kind sword. Who knows who built it, and what its made of, but it clearly is as strong as Sephiroth's sword, seeing as how it never cleaves it in two, like other weapons.

As for the Fusion Swords, they're definitely a custom job made for Cloud's specifications. The synergy they have with Cloud's fighting style, and his bike makes it very likely he commissioned them from the same person who made his bike, or someone familiar.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
About the Masamune, there was a similar discussion about its origins in another thread, and everyone had a lot of theories. Here's mine:

1. Maybe Shinra tried to create a weapon with some extremely rare materials - the result being the Masamune.

Because of these rare materials, the sword had an incredible strength. So incredible, that no one could wield it properly...except for Sephiroth. So, it would make sense to give the sword to him.

2. Maybe the Masamune was some kind of ancient relic found in the site where they also found the tablets talking about Omega and Chaos. I can't remember if these were found in the place where Jenova was sealed, but if it was, maybe the Masamune was a weapon that the Cetra used to defeat Jenova. Ironic, isn't it?

Again, the sword would have such an incredible strength that no one at this time would be able to wield it, except for Sephiroth.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Why was Ultima WEAPON carrying around the Ultima WEAPON sword?
It borrowed it from it's cousin in FF8.

As for the Fusion Swords, they're definitely a custom job made for Cloud's specifications. The synergy they have with Cloud's fighting style, and his bike makes it very likely he commissioned them from the same person who made his bike, or someone familiar.
I had a big essay on CxA forums on how the swords symbolize Cloud's character during the events of AC. Want me to dig it up? :monster:

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
I read a fanfic once where Masamune was Jenova's and found with her body. :desu: Hence Sephy-kitty's aptitude with it. (read: fanfic. Not official, just an idea I wanted to throw in 'cuz it's kinda cool)

The Buster Sword was commissioned by Angeal's stepfather (though you all probably know that by now). It wasn't said who the maker was though, just that it was expensive enough for the guy to work himself literally to death paying for it.

The Fusion Swords couldn't have come from the same guy that Fenrir came from. Case of Tifa doesn't mention Cloud's new swords at all, but mentions where he got the bike and that he spent a long time modifying it. If the swords came with it, that seems like a pretty big detail to just sort of... gloss over. But it was sort of a last minute addition in the movie, wasn't it? There are screencaps of Cloud fighting Kadaj using Buster from way-back-when.

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
Why was Ultima WEAPON carrying around the Ultima WEAPON sword?

Pregnancy does that.

I had a big essay on CxA forums on how the swords symbolize Cloud's character during the events of AC. Want me to dig it up? :monster:

The swords Cloud picks is directly related to his choice in men?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You know, you could probably argue that the Ultima WEAPON was born from the monster of the same name. They have about the same color scheme, and considering how in FFVI, Ultima Weapon and the sword of the same name, were both created at the same time for use in the War of the Magi...it'd make sense that they be related to each other thematically.

Drake raises an interesting point. The Ultima WEAPON of FFVIII is wielding a sword that looks the same as Cloud's sword. I think it's very likely that Cloud's Ultima Weapon was a result of the WEAPON death's and its power leaving behind that sword.

Top Bottom