Why Hello There!

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
So I've been lurking around here for a while now, and figured I'd introduce myself, and explain a bit how I got here!

Back in the heady days of the mid-2000s I was a embarrassing teenage member of a funny little proboards forum called the Genesis Awards. I think some of you might be familiar. While I was at one point the top poster there, I eventually lost track of it as real life got too busy, and was gone by the time they moved off proboards.

Flash forwards 15 years or so and I'm totally disillusioned with social media, and finding myself pretty bored with the majority of well... the internet? I think back nostalgically to the forum format, partly due to FFVIIR bringing back all those memories of discussion and analysis and speculation that I wasn't really finding anywhere now. I knew GA was long dead, but wasn't there that other FFVII forum back in the day? One that at the time had seemed big and intimidating so I'd never really been a member?

I look you up and here you all are, and I have absolutely loved browsing the forum. I was genuinely thrilled to see almost the exact same discussions we were having about Lucretia's morality 15 years ago still going strong, for example. It's been equal parts nostalgic and brand new and I'm having a great time seeing everyone's thoughts on everything from the LTD to the nuances of different ultimania translations.

If I'm honest, I'm unlikely to post much because I don't feel I have a huge amount to contribute these days, but figured at the very least it would be weird to keep lurking around without saying hi. You've definitely rekindled my love of this game, and restored my faith in internet communities, so thank you!

Hey Leafonthebreeze, welcome! I too used to be a very active member of the Genesis Awards; I made some good friends and had a lot of fun before it all imploded. I still have the same username and am still a big Turks fan, so you might remember me. You probably went under a different name at GA; if you feel like sharing, I'd love to know, but don't if you don't want to.

Anyway, let me give you a big welcome to the forums. TLS is a really nice place. If you want to jump into any conversation, you'll be very welcome. We often hotly disagree with each other, but we try hard to remain courteous.

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Hey Leafonthebreeze, welcome! I too used to be a very active member of the Genesis Awards; I made some good friends and had a lot of fun before it all imploded. I still have the same username and am still a big Turks fan, so you might remember me. You probably went under a different name at GA; if you feel like sharing, I'd love to know, but don't if you don't want to.

Hi, and hi to @Mr. Ite as well! I was actually Leafonthebreeze back on GA, but I stopped being active around the time the original admin, Pied Flycatcher, left and handed it over to Woodster, so around 2007-8. I know it kept going a while after that and moved off proboards, so I probably missed a lot! I was IRL friends with FearandLoathing (we went to the same school) and at one point met up with Woodster and Piratesrox in London - I'm not sure I can remember many other usernames haha. Our paths might have crossed though! Didn't it eventually get taken over by T. Costa?

I too am a Turks lover, when I hit top poster on GA Pied let me choose my own forum rank, so of course I chose Turk! I actually just finished reading The Kids Are Alright and loved it way more than I was expecting to!

@cold_spirit Oh yes, definitely good advice - it's the only way I've been browsing the forums while lurking!

Ah, you must have dropped out of GA round about the time I joined. So we meet at last!
I remember Pied Flycatcher and Woodster and Fearandloathing and Piratesrox. In the beginning it was a great place to be, supportive and friendly. T. Costa did take over and it gradually became quite cliquey and embittered, and everyone abandoned it en masse. The last time I visited the site, it was like an abandoned, ruined city in a jungle of viruses and bots.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Your name sounds familiar, but I definitely wasn't there in 2008. Maybe I know it from fanfics? I was at GA for a while, migrated here after it fell. But welcome aboard.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Hi, and hi to @Mr. Ite as well! I was actually Leafonthebreeze back on GA, but I stopped being active around the time the original admin, Pied Flycatcher, left and handed it over to Woodster, so around 2007-8. I know it kept going a while after that and moved off proboards, so I probably missed a lot! I was IRL friends with FearandLoathing (we went to the same school) and at one point met up with Woodster and Piratesrox in London - I'm not sure I can remember many other usernames haha. Our paths might have crossed though! Didn't it eventually get taken over by T. Costa?

I too am a Turks lover, when I hit top poster on GA Pied let me choose my own forum rank, so of course I chose Turk! I actually just finished reading The Kids Are Alright and loved it way more than I was expecting to!

@cold_spirit Oh yes, definitely good advice - it's the only way I've been browsing the forums while lurking!

Pied! That takes me back. I must have joined in ‘06? Good times. I was there until about the end, there was an overlap between this place and that for a year, maybe? 2010-ish. I never noticed it get cliquey but maybe I was blind to that kind of thing, could be I was on the inside and didn’t notice, or was on the outside and didn’t notice. If such a thing exists here, I am similarly oblivious ?

Top Bottom