• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

WHY IS IT CALLED THE MOONWALK?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I can moonwalk

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
But Jackson's feet never left the floor! Explanations plox.

And that's the beauty of it, we never knew exactly just HOW the heck he managed to perfect it . . . or at least I never figured it out. Apparently he got the inspiration from a famous French mime that preceeded him by oh let's just say a couple of decades ago. Guy by the name of Marcel Marceau invented a routine known as Walking Aginst the Wind and that's what MJ based the famous move off of.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's called the "Moonwalk" because it looks like he's defying gravity and walking weightlessly as if on the moon. :monster:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Yeah, no, then he'd float :monster:.

But he isn't floating. See, the thing is he's actually moving backwards with his feet although we think that he's moving forward--there in lies the trick to it (or part of it really). There's also this complexity about it involving the exact syncopated movement of each foot. Placing one foot down as you bend your opposite leg slightly and appear to "glide" effortlessly. You alternate those movements and move up on the toes of one foot and press your weight down on your other foot.

It's so much more complicated than a lot of us might think. But that's how you appear to "glide" or "walk on the moon".

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
pparently he got the inspiration from a famous French mime that preceeded him by oh let's just say a couple of decades ago. Guy by the name of Marcel Marceau invented a routine known as Walking Aginst the Wind and that's what MJ based the famous move off of.
LOL, somebody did not do the research.

The person that invented the moonwalk was Bill Bailey.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
So how does walking on the moon really look like anyway? :monster:

Has anyone walked on the moon without spacesuits on? I must have missed that bit.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
So how does walking on the moon really look like anyway?

Lulz. I'd imagine it would look like death throes as you suffocate/freeze/explosively decompress and die. But doing that's not catchy enough for pop culture yet.

Or if you're a hoaxter, you might suggest that the government go back to the movie studio where they filmed the first moon landing and demonstrate. :wacky:

Ideally, though, it'll remain the moonwalk, because MJ is the:

sega-genesis-michael-jackson-moonwa.jpg

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
I'd imagine it would look like death throes as you suffocate/freeze/explosively decompress and die. But doing that's not catchy enough for pop culture yet.

That'll be pretty awesome on emo music videos though. :monster:

And what's a hoaxter? *n00b* :awesome:

Ideally, though, it'll remain the moonwalk, because MJ is the:

Was. :sadpanda:

And LOL... is that real? :awesome:

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
That'll be pretty awesome on emo music videos though. :monster:

True. Although ticket prices for an emo concert on the moon would be astronomical, so to speak. :monster:

And what's a hoaxter? *n00b* :awesome:

There are some crazies out there who believe the moon landing was a hoax created by NASA, and did so because they were desperate to win the Space Race. They tend to point out various "discrepancies" in the footage to fail try and prove it. >_>

Was. :sadpanda:

And LOL... is that real? :awesome:

:sadpanda:

And you bet. :monster:

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
True. Although ticket prices for an emo concert on the moon would be astronomical, so to speak. :monster:

The fare for going there would be astronomical too. :monster:

There are some crazies out there who believe the moon landing was a hoax created by NASA, and did so because they were desperate to win the Space Race. They tend to point out various "discrepancies" in the footage to fail try and prove it. >_>

Wait, what's the Space Race? :huh:

And LOL how would they know the discrepancies if they haven't really been there themselves? :awesome: Are these written somewhere? Sounds interesting.

And thanks. :)

And you bet. :monster:

Oh man... that's awesome... :monster:

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
This got moved for lack of content? It's spawned discussion, you tarts!

Also, Bill Bailey + Moonwalk = lol.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Yah rly :monster:

It comes in at the end.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
Wait, what's the Space Race? :huh:

And LOL how would they know the discrepancies if they haven't really been there themselves? :awesome: Are these written somewhere? Sounds interesting.

And thanks. :)

The Space Race was a contest during the Cold War where the USA and the Soviet Union technologically competed against one another to see who could progress furthest into space. I won't bore you with the details unless you want me to. :monster:

I'm not sure where you might find some conspiracy theories about the moon landing other than through teh Googlez. Really though, I have a feeling that reading through stuff like that would give me an instant headache. :shifty:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
LOL, somebody did not do the research.

The person that invented the moonwalk was Bill Bailey.

Marceau invented a miming routine not a dance move. MJ took the inspiration from this miming routine, which isn't the moonwalk and incorporated it into his style. Yes, Bill Bailey invented the moonwalk which is a dance move but MJ didn't draw from that, he drew from Marceau's miming technique which is slightly different than Bailey's moonwalk.

Top Bottom