Why WERE the Corel people so mean to Barret?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Why WERE the Corel people so mean to Barret?

I saw this originally on GF and I wanted to ask it here.

Why were the townspeople of Corel blaming Barret for the Corel incident when the entire town also wanted a Mako reactor? Why are they singling out Barret alone?

Re: Why WERE the Corel people so mean to Barret?

[quote author=The Notorious M.O.G. link=topic=112.msg1509#msg1509 date=1229005794]
I saw this originally on GF and I wanted to ask it here.

Why were the townspeople of Corel blaming Barret for the Corel incident when the entire town also wanted a Mako reactor? Why are they singling out Barret alone?
[/quote]

No clue. But good question.

I always thought that Barret didn't want the Mako Reactor built. I can't remember.

[quote author=Rei Ayanami link=topic=112.msg1518#msg1518 date=1229008814]
I always thought that Barret didn't want the Mako Reactor built. I can't remember.
[/quote]
No, that was Dyne. I think they blamed Barret because he was the one who got Shinra there and was very passionate about the reactor getting built. He told them all it would better their lives.

So though the townspeople agreed, it was Barret who was head of it all, and therefore the easiest person to blame.

[quote author=Balthea link=topic=112.msg1531#msg1531 date=1229012596]
[quote author=Rei Ayanami link=topic=112.msg1518#msg1518 date=1229008814]
[/quote]
No, that was Dyne. I think they blamed Barret because he was the one who got Shinra there and was very passionate about the reactor getting built. He told them all it would better their lives.

So though the townspeople agreed, it was Barret who was head of it all, and therefore the easiest person to blame.
[/quote]
I had forgotten about Dyne. Thanks for pointing that out.

Put all the blame on Barret. It's stupid.

[quote author=Balthea link=topic=112.msg1575#msg1575 date=1229021504]
Scapegoats make people feel better, and they did have their lives destroyed.
[/quote]
Yeah, but THEY agreed to it. So, it's their own fault.

It's not an excuse, but it's something that happens all the time even in the real world.

Remember too that they were agreeing to go into the next generation and to get lots of jobs. I'm sure none of them ever imagined that the reactor would have problems and Shinra would come in there to punish them.

So, when that all happens, they instantly turn against the person who brought Shinra there in the first place.

[quote author=Balthea link=topic=112.msg1584#msg1584 date=1229022055]
It's not an excuse, but it's something that happens all the time even in the real world.

Remember too that they were agreeing to go into the next generation and to get lots of jobs. I'm sure none of them ever imagined that the reactor would have problems and Shinra would come in there to punish them.
[/quote]
Yeah.

I know I wouldn't want Shinra comming in my hometown to puhish us for something they put there.

Then again.. It could go both ways.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

Because he was black :monster:

Seriously, it's because people are stupid, and feel better scapegoating someone and he happened to be one of the biggest proponents for the Mako Reactor. He was the main guy who spoke up for it, while Dyne was the opposite. So the town of Corel felt he "sold them out" and thus was the focus of their resentment and anger.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

People need scapegoats is all man.

sephirothpaine

Pro Adventurer

[quote author=Dacon link=topic=112.msg1602#msg1602 date=1229031393]
People need scapegoats is all black men.
[/quote]

Corrected :monster:

No, J/K.

Barret only wanted to take care of his wife. Building the reactor would had made it easier for him to do so.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~

I agree. I never really understood the whole "Blame the Black Man" incident. It was poorly constructed and badly executed. I like the concept, which add poor Barret's feeling of guilt, but it was never properly developed. Least not to me.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

I'm totally missing the point of what that tl;dr poster on gamefaqs is saying. What's hard to understand about them blaming Barret because it was his own idea and they want to scapegoat him because they're weak willed people? They apologize to him if you have Barret in your party when you save Corel from the speeding train during the Huge Materia, admitting they unfairly blamed him for their trouble.

As for the other stuff, they're looking way too far into the bizarre layout of Shinra and the world. No shit, it's weird to have an amusement park right above a desert prison, but that's Shinra's bright idea. And FYI, the Ropeway Station isn't the only entrance to Gold Saucer. The Turks are able to get to the Gold Saucer via some other trolly in BC. It's just that in FFVII, the player only goes to the Golden Saucer via Corel.

As for the others, they're just way too....inane.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

Well, it's just his perception, you know. He raised some good points in an intelligent manner and his points are just as valid as yours, considering that both you, and he separately makes sense and you both are playing (presumably) customers of the FF7 franchise. I think all he's trying to say is that part of the game could have been more coherent and written a little better.

(and to be honest we really can't say he's looking too far into it considering the stuff we talk about here daily. Hey, if he makes sense, he makes sense. FF7 wasn't written perfectly.)

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Yeah, but there are some things you just have to accept as being unique to the FFVII world. They're the things that would of course make no logical sense in reality, like...having an amusement park right above a supermax desert prison and letting inmate try their bids for freedom in a Chocobo race.

There *is* no explaining that. That's just the nature of the bizarre world of Final Fantasy.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=112.msg7146#msg7146 date=1231595569]
Yeah, but there are some things you just have to accept as being unique to the FFVII world. They're the things that would of course make no logical sense in reality, like...having an amusement park right above a supermax desert prison and letting inmate try their bids for freedom in a Chocobo race.

There *is* no explaining that. That's just the nature of the bizarre world of Final Fantasy.
[/quote]

The problem with bullshit like that is it can excuse things without any sort of logic being utilized, and that's not acceptable.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa

What about Dyne, doesn't he also go up to the Gold Saucer even though he'd need access to the elevator (which Coates doesn't mention), kills some people in the Battle Arena then voluntarily goes back down to the prison?

But yeah, FFVII is full of sloppiness.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

FFVII is hardly the paragon of logic or reason in terms of how its world works.

Now the Dyne thing...is a different story. I have no clue how the hell that one happened.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Bullshit, it still has it's own rules, natural laws, and shit that the world abides by.

There's no excuse for sloppiness or bullshit.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

LOL why build a city 10 meters off the ground?

Why build a prison below an amusement park?

Why let a megalomaniacal conglomerate rule the entire planet?

I mean, not a lot of stuff makes sense dude. Yeah, it's sloppy how they don't explain Dyne taking an express elevator to a prison and then getting back down, but questioning the Gold Saucer is just...something you have to roll with.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

The third in that list isn't as farfetched really, and has been a plot element in at least over nine-thousaaand other games, so :monster: at that.

Carry on.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=112.msg7197#msg7197 date=1231616412]
LOL why build a city 10 meters off the ground?

Why build a prison below an amusement park?

Why let a megalomaniacal conglomerate rule the entire planet?

I mean, not a lot of stuff makes sense dude. Yeah, it's sloppy how they don't explain Dyne taking an express elevator to a prison and then getting back down, but questioning the Gold Saucer is just...something you have to roll with.
[/quote]

No it's not, and I could come up with reasoning for all of those things.

And no one "let" Shinra rule the world, they took it.

Top Bottom