Why WERE the Corel people so mean to Barret?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Re: Why WERE the Corel people so mean to Barret?

And no one "let" Shinra rule the world, they took it.

Eh...I can't really say that. Yeah, when they got to the point where they had their own private army and SOLDIER, yeah, but at the beginning they were only a small weapons company. People LET Shinra take over because they monopolized a brand new energy source and just bought everyone off. If everyone knew what Shinra would be before the fact, the world could have crushed Shinra in the beginning.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

[quote author=The Notorious M.O.G. link=topic=112.msg7208#msg7208 date=1231623959]
And no one "let" Shinra rule the world, they took it.

Eh...I can't really say that. Yeah, when they got to the point where they had their own private army and SOLDIER, yeah, but at the beginning they were only a small weapons company. People LET Shinra take over because they monopolized a brand new energy source and just bought everyone off. If everyone knew what Shinra would be before the fact, the world could have crushed Shinra in the beginning.
[/quote]

They didn't let them, they had NO choice but to submit to them if they were to gain use of Mako, and the money it would bring in. I'm sure Corel wasn't the only town in such a situation.

Not everyone was as powerful as Wutai. Infact, Wutai is pretty much the only other nation that had a dedicated army. As far as we know anyway.

Question, was there any other source of power classified before Mako in FF7? I'm pretty sure there were other sources of power, but I mean, classified in official documentation.

And I doubt people thought Shinra was evil before all the shit hit the fan.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

People used coal, steam, and oil generally. The world was generally civilized before Shinra came along.

And yeah, if they wanted Mako, but hypothetically if things went another way and the world (for whatever hypothetical reason for the purpose of example) went 'No, we don't want it and you can't make us', there's really nothing that Shinra could have done about it without their army, because I'm pretty positive that guns existed before Shinra did.

And as far as we know Wutai was the only place that had an army, but it doesn't take much to go 'People+guns=army. Shinra based civilization is all we see in FF7, but I'm sure Shinra didn't INVENT the basic tenets of civilization. People just let Shinra buy it off them.

And I doubt people thought Shinra was evil before all the shit hit the fan.

I know, I'm just saying 'hypothetically'.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

Well it's obvious Shinra didn't invent the faucets of civiliztion, they haven't been around long enough for that.

The fact is though, Shinra was pretty well organized, and had a lot of resources. I doubt a few villagers and weapons could have held them off if Shinra decided to resort to force. Most of the places they decided to build the reactors on, where remote villages, that weren't really that big.

Not to mention it would have been pretty hard for them to ignore the power and allure of Mako energy.

Shinra was like the snake in eden.

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do

I also think some people are reading too far into it. People do it all the time. If you were the leader of some type of campaign, and told them hey, this will benefit us, and then it ends up messing your lives up. Who the hell do you think they are going to blame the most? The person who talked you all into it.

And whats so bad about having an amusement park trolly in a desert prison. Truthfully, there were probably tons of entrances into the place, yet they only used on for your characters. There could be people in Corel with connections to people in Gold Saucer. You never know and it's not really that odd, especially since I believe Mako said the Turks got into Gold saucer by other trolleys. Plus look at reality, some prisons have cable tv and all of that crap. It's really not that crazy to think of in a fantasy type setting.

Question, was there any other source of power classified before Mako in FF7? I'm pretty sure there were other sources of power, but I mean, classified in official documentation.

If you read the case of Barret, it talks about how alot of things were coal powered before Mako became the choice source of power.

Even building a city 10 meters off the ground really isnt that farfetched of an idea. I mean the area could be really ideal for a town, but where you need to build it could be very unstable terrain. So building it in the air is an option. It's not the safest option, but it could have been the only one. Or it could have been an egotistical statement in city form. We are better and above you. Obey us or else.

Top Bottom