Will it be possible to disable the voiceovers?

AVVTW8Jj6FnP

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Will it be possible to disable the voiceovers and just have subtitles? Is this something you can do in contemporary RPGs? I haven't played video games in years but I was thinking of playing the remake. One thing holding me back is the thought of having to subject myself to the voiceovers. I would much rather prefer the deeper imaginative involvement I got from reading the dialogue in the original.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
I kind of feel the same way about the English VAs. They're not bad, but they're not representative of the characters, I feel. The Japanese VAs do a much better job. I won't try to mute the voice acting, but I will play it in JP with ENG subtitles. It'll just feel more right to me.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I’ve been planning to have voice volume on 0, as it drastically improved my FFXIV experience, among other games. Voice volume sliders are pretty bog standard these days, I hope they don’t fuck it up and I don’t see why they would.

I had a fun thought just now of disabling both voices *and* subtitles, so that I don’t understand any of the new story stuff, I just get to see visuals and hear music while things vaguely follow the OG script, which I have memorized XD. Even I don’t think think I’m that far set in my ways though lol.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I feel like they've generally made great VA selections, but the direction and script seem to be erring corny. Bad direction can wreck the best of dubs. I've heard that the trailers have been dubbed out of context, so hopefully that's the case. That being said, I watch a lot of things in Japanese, so I don't really have a problem with using Japanese audio. I'll probably play it in Japanese, because those are the "canon" voices at the end of the day - not to mention, they are consistent with AC. I don't like it when voice actors change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Not going to disable them. They put effort into it, so I personally feel they deserve to be heard in context of the game itself. If I dislike it by the end of the playthrough, then I'll change it up through muting or Japanese or whatever.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
Not going to disable them. They put effort into it, so I personally feel they deserve to be heard in context of the game itself. If I dislike it by the end of the playthrough, then I'll change it up through muting or Japanese or whatever.
Same here. I'll definitely listen to a few parts of it in English. I really do want to hear better examples of the English VAs, but some of the clips they've used for certain characters are just horrific and do not accurately represent what these characters are going to sound like.

AVVTW8Jj6FnP

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Thanks for the information Misterbadguy. Well, if I get the game, I think would take the approach of Dee and play in JP with ENG subtitles. Like Ryvius, I would assume the JP audio to be canonical. My reasoning is that the Japanese actors will be more authentic due to being from the same culture and generation in which the OG was made. The especially purist idea of Mr. Ite to disable both voices and subtitles is an interesting one. I agree with FFShinra that the ENG actors deserve a hearing. But I have to concur with Dee that some of the clips have been horrific. For instance, the acting for Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris in the January 31 trailer is listless and stilted.

Top Bottom