Winter is coming...

Eerie

Fire and Blood
How come I didn't see any thread for A Song of Ice and Fire by GRRM? XD
A little reminder:
The story retrace the numerous intrigues and wars the nobles go through to get their hands on the Iron Throne, just to be the King. It is a tale of many betrayals, justice and injustices, love and hate, life and death that make the story of Westeros. But, as everybody is fighting, the Night's Watch must face a menace greater than a trivial war for a throne. Winter is coming, say the Starks; indeed, it is.

For now, 4 books are out, the 5th is still being written - yes, he IS slow when it comes to writing - and there's a pilot coming on HBO.

As for me, who wishes to write, I look up to Martin - he's truly a great writer and his story delivers everything: great characters, plenty of twists, prophecies, characters death, politic schemes, war, violence, and so on. There's just everything in it and the writing is simply awesome - albeit a bit difficult at first.

A complex universe, complex characters, complex plots, what more is there to ask? :awesome:

*sits in Westeros, waiting for A Dance with Dragons XD*

BEWARE, SPOILERS AHEAD UP UNTIL BOOK 4.
For the pilot / book 5 and everything that will come after we'll use spoiler tags :wacky:

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yeah, but I read it in French, so I'm always having a hard time with the names, sorry. I should definitely reread that in English though >_>

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yes, you should. Translations never do the original any justice.

Also, these books are just enough to not require a thread to be awesome or known about.

I'm actually starting to re-read the books, halfway the first one again already. It's also the first book (I think) I've re-read evar, but it's justice no matter how often you read it.

GRRM's a cunt though, for letting us wait so long for the next book, :@. Anything new about the HBO thingy by the way? Haven't heard about it for probably a few years now.

Belmat

Pro Adventurer
I re-read the first book a few weeks ago; however, I don't own copies of the rest, so I'll be off to the library soon.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yes, go for it.

Just read up on the TV adaptation, I wonder when the pilot's going to be aired?

Also, Wikipedia lists Peter Dinklage as Tyrion. Dunno really. In fact, I can't imagine any 'known' actors for roles in the series. Would be nice to see them do an all-new cast though.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
The pilot is going to be filmed in October/November (well, they'll start the filming then me think). I must say, I totally lack imagination for actors taking whose role etc. I'm just going to trust HBO on that one because that channel only deceived me when they cancelled Rome >_<

As for the books, I have to buy them in English first, since I own them in French - and then, I shall never switch back to that horrid French version >_>). I do own Dreamsongs II in English though and it's awesome to read and to slip in his mind ^^

On a side note, The Hedge Knight really made me fall in love with the Targaryens :awesome: I can't wait for the 3rd novella/comic XD

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Oh yeah, I should get / read those too. And everyone loves an incestuous family, :awesome:.

I can only imagine Viggo as Stark, really.
Which could work if they'd have a big budget for the first season, 'cause, you know, he dies

I'm a tad worried though. A lot of the important characters in the book are kids and/or teenagers, usually not above 16 - the series might look like a teen series of sorts if they aren't careful.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Well, it's HBO anyways - True Blood, Rome - so it's not for kids anyways XD They'll up Dany's age me think - she marries a bit too early, 13 so yeah, they'll probably up that to 15 at least XD

For the others, I'm not sure - after all, it's not like they'll have troubles with them. What worries me though is that Martin will probably still be writing ASOIAF when the serie will reach the 4th/5th season XD If it's not cancelled, hopefully. Let's pray they'll make a great pilot XD

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
lulz yeah, I was thinking about that as well - Martin'd have four years max to finish the fifth book, then one year to finish the other two / three / whatever, :monster:.

And I read somewhere that Martin originally intended to up Dany's age with a 5-year gap or something... but that might've been
about her rise to powar
or something, not sure anymore.

Also, marriage at 13 isn't that bad, it's the graphic consumption thereof that won't be aired, :monster:.

crevaxa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
MDL_0
Oh yeah, I should get / read those too. And everyone loves an incestuous family, :awesome:.

I can only imagine Viggo as Stark, really.
Which could work if they'd have a big budget for the first season, 'cause, you know, he dies

I'm a tad worried though. A lot of the important characters in the book are kids and/or teenagers, usually not above 16 - the series might look like a teen series of sorts if they aren't careful.

I read the leaked proposed pilot. They added like two or three years to all the kids except for Joffrey.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm sure Joff sucks / will suck plenty of balls anyways, :awesome:.

also, I guess I can live with two or three years. afaik, none of the 'kid' characters behaved according to their age, i.e. everyone's mature as fuck.

Belmat

Pro Adventurer
They were rather mature, true. But it's going to lose some of the vulnerability they felt at times, such as Arya escaping from the castle, etc.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yeah, I think that if you look at Sansa for example, she's the perfect example of the girl who was all day-dreaming about her prince and was forced to grow up rather quickly. She was amongst the oldest in the Stark family, but really when you look at what the others are going through, isn't it natural to have them be mature like that?

TBH, Martin said he had a hard time writing children, but what they go through do give them a little bit maturity too. So, it's a bit of both me guess.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeh I agree lol!!!!1!

Dunno how kids would really act in such situations, really. I mean, they're all getting pretty fucked up in the books, :monster:.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I'm actually really worried for Arya DX Bran seems to possess a great destiny though - and Jon too, in his own way. And while Sansa's chapters first bored me, now she's really interesting and I'm really looking forward to what happens with her lol. XD

But Arya yeah, her path seems really dark DX

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
GRRM actually said that if he were rewriting the series from scratch he'd up most of the kids' starting ages, so they'll probably just be older in the TV series.

Awesome series, one of my favourite ever. He needs to get off his arse and finish the last three books though before he keels over from eating too many pizzas and shit D;

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm actually really worried for Arya DX Bran seems to possess a great destiny though - and Jon too, in his own way. And while Sansa's chapters first bored me, now she's really interesting and I'm really looking forward to what happens with her lol. XD

But Arya yeah, her path seems really dark DX

Yeah, Sansa's the stereotypical stuck-up cunt at the start of the movie, :monster:. It's awesome to see the characters evolve during the course of the books, really.

Also, for form - should this thread be a spoiler or a non-spoiler thread? If the former, a warning should be added to the thread title or first post. If the latter, spoiler tags galore, :monster:.

EVERYBODY DIES!

Eerie

Fire and Blood
LMAO XD Well, IDK for spoilers, I think up until book 4, everyone should have read so it's fine no? When ADWD will be out, it'll be something else, but who knows when that one will pop up :monster:

I may tag the first post to say spoiler galore until book 3 but after that spoiler will be used for when the pilot will be out (since not everyone will get to see it at the same time) and the book 4?

Belmat

Pro Adventurer
Arya's actually my favourite character I think. Such a small girl, gradually turning into some sort of uber killing machine.
Good times.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Arya's awesome. Off the top of my head my favourite characters are probably Arya, Dany, Jon, Asha, the Hound, Tyrion and Jaime. Though I'm sure there're others I'm not thinking of. The Queen of Thorns is pretty awesome as well.

Belmat

Pro Adventurer
You think it's some sort of comment about us that our favourite characters are little girls?

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Meh it's not like I want to have sex with any of them, at least not until they get older :monster:

Last edited:
Top Bottom