• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Wonder Woman

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Patty Jenkins just released this new art for Wonder Woman on her Twitter.
DBK9Rh9VwAACsFG.jpg:large

I love it; it's very subtle. I might get this blown up into a poster.

Also, VA Marisha Ray posted a tweet with a link to an article about WW that sums up my thoughts perfectly on female-led superhero movies. https://twitter.com/Marisha_Ray/status/869966297521504258

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion

Ghost X

Female leads are not a risk. Most of my favourite films have female leads. Female led stories only fail when the writing, etc, is shit. The common denominator is not the female lead being an issue, it is the current utterly shitty uncreative era of Hollywood movies that is the issue :P.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Aaaand back. Good film.

This film was a pit trap inside a minefield inside a ww1 era barbed wire fence, but they walked the line very well.

My only big 'fuck off' moment was Erich Ludendorff being the physical incarnation of the God of War. Unless the British guy was also real, that's a bit questionable.

I spent most of the action scenes thinking 'those poor Germans', which I'm not sure was intended or not.

I liked this film a lot for what it wasn't. It wasn't Diana giving lectures on how wrong everything is, which was a real concern.

Nobody wasted time trying to keep her out of the action, which a lot of lesser movies would.

They didn't play up the naivete for too much fish out of water comedy.

And both sides were working towards an Armistice, it wasn't Diana being the only one that understood peace.

The only 'problem' with female leads is that they're often taken to be representative of all women everywhere, which is an impossible weight to carry. Certain critics deconstruct everything they do as to how it reflects on the sisterhood, which results in creators being afraid to give female leads flaws, which leads to other critics bringing up the word 'Mary Sue' or not considering them compelling leads. If you just treat them as people, the wider audience is fine with it, nobody burned their PS2 because Olga or The Boss was in it, nobody burned an effigy of Quentin Tarantino because of Jackie Brown or Shoshanna Dreyfus. Just treat them like people, not Avatars of all things female, and it works out fine.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Aaaand back. Good film.

This film was a pit trap inside a minefield inside a ww1 era barbed wire fence, but they walked the line very well.

My only big 'fuck off' moment was Erich Ludendorff being the physical incarnation of the God of War. Unless the British guy was also real, that's a bit questionable.

I spent most of the action scenes thinking 'those poor Germans', which I'm not sure was intended or not.

I liked this film a lot for what it wasn't. It wasn't Diana giving lectures on how wrong everything is, which was a real concern.

Nobody wasted time trying to keep her out of the action, which a lot of lesser movies would.

They didn't play up the naivete for too much fish out of water comedy.

And both sides were working towards an Armistice, it wasn't Diana being the only one that understood peace.

The only 'problem' with female leads is that they're often taken to be representative of all women everywhere, which is an impossible weight to carry. Certain critics deconstruct everything they do as to how it reflects on the sisterhood, which results in creators being afraid to give female leads flaws, which leads to other critics bringing up the word 'Mary Sue' or not considering them compelling leads. If you just treat them as people, the wider audience is fine with it, nobody burned their PS2 because Olga or The Boss was in it, nobody burned an effigy of Quentin Tarantino because of Jackie Brown or Shoshanna Dreyfus. Just treat them like people, not Avatars of all things female, and it works out fine.

That's good.

Also the creators said they were inspired by the Little Mermaid for the movie. Well, it is the tale of a princess who leaves her kingdom and becomes a part of the human world and falls in love with a human male.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/05/19/wonder-woman-writer-little-mermaid-influence/

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Saw it, and very much enjoyed it. It managed it's balance of humor and action well, and managed to be like but different from Captain America (although all Steves are apparently great and noble comic World War buddies to pal around with). Thoroughly well done and a damn good film, and hopefully DC manages to hold the line with their future films to be more like & Man of Steel, and less like BvS & Suicide Squad.

Only a couple minor things I felt were a little meh:

• It still makes no damn sense why her mom refused to tell her anything.
• While I do love the Wonder Woman theme song, it doesn't really feel natural in the film. It feels like an after-the-fact, "don't forget to use her theme when she's being especially badass" edit.
• Her battle with Ares (whip scene notwithstanding) was the least interesting of her fights, because it was less awesome coordinated combat and more of a CGI debris war, and the rest of her fighting was so badass and dynamic.

X :neo:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
After further thought...

So General/Quartermaster Ludendorff wasn't Ares? That's both better and worse in different ways.

Hey, kids, if you wanna go toe to toe with a Greek goddess, don't forget to do hard drugs.

One would also expect some kind of consequences for blatantly murdering a roomful of his own men.

I would have liked a little more depiction of the Central Powers frontliners. By that point, they are suffering hard. Probably couldn't be depicted at a 12 rating, though. Still, I think they missed an opportunity for loyal German soldiers to do heroics against the person attacking/that has just killed their commander.

I'm sure there's going to be jokes about guys named Steve that heroically sacrifice themselves by destroying a plane carrying a superweapon, but what the hell.

Unexpectedly great: One soldier, even Diana, can't break that kind of trenchline. She can punch through herself, but the inevitable counterattack wins back the lost territory.

The rest of the team pretty well handled.

Missed the first five minutes due to queues, does anything important happen in it?

X, I felt that Ares was the one good fight,up to the end anyway as it was the only time anything was an actual threat to her. Also, he was a bit more creative than the usual slugfest. Before he puts on his armour, at least.

WW1 soldiers v Greek Goddess is a bit of a mismatch.

Sorry, following this channel, so I'm particularly invested in ww1 right now.

I'm learning to avoid most reviews, as they're virtually all taking shots at the previous DCU.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Don't have time to write up a full post because I'm tired as hell and have to work tomorrow, but I'll summarize my thoughts.

Loved the movie. I fucking loved it. Action was great, humor was well placed, feels were everywhere and I teared up and cried more times than I care to admit.

The critics were not lying or pandering to us; this is easily DC's best movie to date. I love it, and came out a bigger WW fan than before I went in. I'm buying the score, and I'm getting the behind the scenes book at work tomorrow.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Mfff. So good. Took my little cousin with me. It was a little more verbal and philosophy lite for her, but she liked it enough. I loved it, and much like Lith, choked up at a few scenes.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Speaking of comics, I'm going to get the Steve Trevor oneshot that came out on Wednesday. Hopefully my comic store still has a copy.

I didnt read anything, because i am gonna watch that movie today. I will edit later today, and will read later. Looking forward to seeing it. Usually i dont like super hero movies, but this one look like a fighter movie so i like that, kind of looking forward to be seeing it.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Watching this tomorrow morning with my brother. The reviews have been great so far, we're feeling optimistic!

Pretty good in the beginning, didnt like the ending. Sort of why i never usually go watch Super Hero movies, but it started good atleast.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Now that I've had a little time to chew on my experience of the film, I'm finding it to be fun, powerful, but not without it's flaws. Gal Godot puts in an obvious effort, but she more often than not comes off as a bit flat. The fun she was having in BvS is missing at times, and sometimes the weight of the dialogue can be a little tiresome for what could be a little more balanced towards action. On the whole, she's kinda held up by the other actors, especially Chris Pine, who easily steals any scene he's in.

But that's really the only thing that mars it for me. The messages are powerful, the cinematography is superb, and I have never seen such a majestic depiction of powerful woman without needlessly sexualizing them to pander to horny people for easy entertainment value. I even forgot this was 3D (Which I didn't see it in) so that says a lot for the strength of the film's composition.

I just...I have all the respect in the world to Gal Godot, but I don't think I would have cast her in this role. Her screen presence outside of combat just really lacks at times. She's no Lucy Lawless.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I just...I have all the respect in the world to Gal Godot, but I don't think I would have cast her in this role. Her screen presence outside of combat just really lacks at times. She's no Lucy Lawless.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I thought her interactions with characters outside of combat were fantastic. And while I love Lucy Lawless, I wouldn't compare the two actresses for the strong, female characters they played. Idk, maybe I just spent too much time staring at Gal Gadot's lovely face and saw the microexpressions changing during the more calm moments of the movie.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I thought her interactions with characters outside of combat were fantastic. And while I love Lucy Lawless, I wouldn't compare the two actresses for the strong, female characters they played. Idk, maybe I just spent too much time staring at Gal Gadot's lovely face and saw the microexpressions changing during the more calm moments of the movie.

^This. I genuinely felt Gal's screen prescence, which I thought was more like Christopher Reeve's Superman. She had great chemistry with the cast as well.

I just got back from seeing it again. I'm glad she wasn't another Xena. I mean outside of the similar look people say, she didn't have to be.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Bloody loved it! A lot better than what I was expecting. :awesome:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I remember exactly three things about Xena -spinny thing, warcry, and some kind of duel involving a platform made of logs that was destroyed. What was she like again?

Thought Gal did pretty well myself.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I have angered Xena. This cannot stand.

My favourite fan theory re WW:
The cow that watches her break into the tower is Zeus. Which is actually consistent with the myths, he does that every now and again, and it was a bit out of nowhere to have that cow/bull show up.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Seen it and I'm very pleased with it. :D

About the end:

Guy named Steve played by a guy named Chris sacrifices himself to stop a German plane full of bombs in a World War period setting...seems familiar. :P

Top Bottom