Worth buying a PSP for?

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
In the opinions of most Dissidia owners(or owners of Crisis Core) does it make it worth buying a PSP? Since I have a little bit of money from my job, I was considering buying it. Would that be a good idea, or should I just stick with my other handheld (DS)?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Umm, if you're a Final Fantasy fan, then there's no question this is a game worth buying the PSP over. Especially if you haven't even played Crisis Core.

And the PSP has a good library of other games, so now's the best time to finally invest in one.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Umm, if you're a Final Fantasy fan, then there's no question this is a game worth buying the PSP over. Especially if you haven't even played Crisis Core.

And the PSP has a good library of other games, so now's the best time to finally invest in one.
I would say I am, but I haven't heard that the PSP is very good for what should be a portable system. What other games are there that you'd recommend?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Who told you that?

There's God of War, Patapon (which is incredibly fun), FF Tactics: War of the Lions, I'm a SH fan, and Silent Hill: Origins is a game I'd recommend if you've played the others, and then there's all of the other older PS one games you can download to your PSP from the PS store, and have them play on your PSP as well.

Metal Gear Solid for 10 bucks to play on your PSP? That's a helluva deal, especially considering how rare and expensive it is now. There's a shit ton of new and old games you can play on it.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Who told you that?

There's God of War, Patapon (which is incredibly fun), FF Tactics: War of the Lions, I'm a SH fan, and Silent Hill: Origins is a game I'd recommend if you've played the others, and then there's all of the other older PS one games you can download to your PSP from the PS store, and have them play on your PSP as well.

Metal Gear Solid for 10 bucks to play on your PSP? That's a helluva deal, especially considering how rare and expensive it is now. There's a shit ton of new and old games you can play on it.
I played the PS2 port of 0rigins and I didn't like it so much. Mostly because of the semi-limited inventory and the fact I never quite got used to the fighting system.

Also not a fan of God of War, so. :monster:

War of the Lions sounds good, as does the Joan of Arc game, so I dunno, maybe.

And I have Metal Gear on the PS1 (got it for a dollah), and since my PS2 is still in good working order I don't really need it. :monster: But yeah, my friend Jeremy was saying that you need to recharge it quite often, but I dunno.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Yes. Yes, it is. :monster:

I can't really compare the DS with the PSP, because both has the same awesome points for me. As for modding though, the PSP is the best way to go. The PSP is flexible and highly customizable; you can do a lot of things with it, while the DS is limited to how much your card can give you.

That, or I just couldn't be bothered trying to figure out how to mod my DS. :monster:

Also, the PSP has some pretty good games. My list of favorites have mostly PSP games on it. Crisis Core and Dissidia are so worth it. BUY ONE :reptar: You won't regret it.

Mako Eyes said:

AWESHUM GAME. And LocoRoco. :awesome:

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Here's another advice: If you're apparently so short on money that you can't just go 'Hey I'll buy it whatever' instead of 'Hey I haven't pre-spent all of my weekly pay yet should I get a PSP', I'd suggest keeping it on your account for a while, :monster:.

firehahahahahaha

fire master
Just to add on to the list I got: Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, and Peace Walker coming soon, Killzone Liberation, Megaman Maverik Hunter X and Powered Up, Daxter, and of course the best PSP title to date: Loco Roco.
But besides just games, it also does internet, music, movies, and more. I'd def. recommend it over the DS.

Oh and I forgot to mention Prinny: Can I Really be the Hero? and Half Minute Hero. Both really epic games.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
Oh I would have thought so. I'm buying a PSP as soon as I get paid along with Dissidia and Crisis Core.

Other games to get include: Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy Tatics: War of the Lions. I'm also thinking of getting a couple of non-FF related games like the GTA ones but those alone would be worth it.

If you want to save money just buy them second hand and then sell them and the PSP once you're finished anyway. That way you have a little more money than otherwise. (Again, that's what I'm doing).

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
No one game is worth buying a console for. Just ugh, no.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Well, I intended to buy my PSP just for Crisis Core, but since I knew there would be some good stuff in there, it then became "not just for Crisis Core anymore", so I got it 1 year before it came out here in Europe.

I'd recomend what has been said, FFT: War of the Lions, Dissidia, of course, Crisis Core as well, aaand Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, if you can get it. Hell of a good game, I tell you!

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Here's another advice: If you're apparently so short on money that you can't just go 'Hey I'll buy it whatever' instead of 'Hey I haven't pre-spent all of my weekly pay yet should I get a PSP', I'd suggest keeping it on your account for a while, :monster:.
I'm not like "HOLY SHIT I MUST BUY A PSP IMMEDIATELY" I'm just wondering if, when I have enough money, it would be worth buying one. :monster:

KissTheRain

reality is a prison
AKA
jailbait
Well if you know how to program the PSP right, it has a lot of benefits.

For one there are many excellent games on it outside the FF/SE section so you can play those or new ones are always coming out and one may spot your eye, but you won't be able to buy cause you are lacking a PSP. Even now you seem interested in Dissidia and/or Crisis Core, but cannot get it and i'm sure you'll feel the same way if you do not buy one and see other games you want.

Besides games, you can put music and videos on your PSP so it's like an ipod just chunkier plus you can play games on it besides solitare and what not. You can put pictures on and change your bg it's got a lot of functions and space on it making it fun to customize and put all your media on. c: You can even get interenet service on it if you install/download it and have a modem to run it from.

Also, I really awesome thing you can do with a PSP is you can download N64, SN, and other gaming systems games onto your system so it's practacally like getting a bunch of systems and games if you know how to download it correctly. (need a computer cord for eveyrthing i'm saying just so you know, lol) For example, I have almost every Zelda game on my PSP, old kirby and sonic stuff it's amazing.

So I'd say definatly get the PSP. (:

Splintered

unsavory tart
I'm a relatively new owner to a psp and am pretty satisfied. Not going to lie, I got the psp almost specifically for Crisis Core, but Alex is right: never buy a console for just one or two games (I got my shit for free, so I'm only a little but of a hypocrite.)

The library of OMGMUSTHAVEGAMES aren't terribly huge on the psp but I still manage to have fun. Playing ps1 classics portabley is also a huge amount of awesome/nostalgia. Crisis Core and Dissidia are both great games to play but at the same time they aren't the top of their class as far fighting games or finalfantasytitles are concerned (unless you are a huge final fantasytard), so if you're hurting financially you should hold off and be satisfied with the DS.

I don't think you'll be disappointed but it isn't a necessary buy as of now. You could wait a bit for them to turn out more games (doesn't XIII have a compilation piece for it) and let the price of the original go down as Sony continues to create it's dozens of different versions. Also, apparently if you hack your psp, you should be able to manipulate it to play all kinds of things so *shrug*.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
To answer the thread question - I thought so, spent 100$ bucks on a PSP to get this...and then I lost the PSP while my family was moving and it's in a box somewhere ><. But hey, I still have it here somewhere, and I'm sure there's other games I'll enjoy for it besides Dissidia.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Dissidia is a great game if your an FF fan. Whether it's worth the PSP is moot, if you ask me, as there are several reasons to get one. Many enumerated in this thread.

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
Get an older PSP secondhand at like GameStop or something, and put custom firmware on it. Not only will the system be cheaper that way, you'll be able to play freaking everything. :monster: Make sure the memory stick you get for it is at least a 4GB or higher so you can carry a couple of digital-copy-only games on it whereever.

I got my tax return check the day after Crisis Core came out in the US and went straight to Walmart and bought one. :awesome: I never looked back.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Damn right its worth it. I originally bought my psp for 3 games: Crisis Core, Dissidia and KH:Birth by Sleep and now I have several more plus several downloads so yeah I'd highly recommend getting one, only thing is my psp is now fooked to high heaven so I can't finish Dissidia right away and I can't afford another one right now....sad days :(

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Dissidia is a great game if your an FF fan. Whether it's worth the PSP is moot, if you ask me, as there are several reasons to get one. Many enumerated in this thread.

Basically my thoughts on the matter. If you get a PSP go ahead and get Dissidia as, IMO, it's worth it, but consider that a PSP is worth getting anyways, Dissidia or no.

Top Bottom