X-Force (2014-current) [Marvel]

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
tumblr_n7r14ldHot1qfo4qoo1_1280.jpg

This is the most standalone X-Title that's out there right now, and it's fucking BRUTAL and AMAZING. It follows Cable and his newest band of mercs investigating a specific set of mutant-abuse related warcrimes, and blurring (and eventually completely erasing) the moral lines that they use to combat those threats. Everyone on the team has flaws, and it gets into everyone's heads in INCREDIBLE detail. Insofar as I've been able to tell, there is ZERO crossover with any of the other X-Titles, so they're basically fighting a completely secret war - which it does very well in an extremely militaristic setting.

The story comes directly out of Cable & X-Force but there's a rather significant event that happens between them. The good news is that you learn about this event as the series goes, so it's a damn good series to jump into (and it's only 12 issues in). Basically the big points from that comic that you need to be aware of is that post-AvX, Hope worked through some personal shit, and rejoined with Cable - who manifested uncontrollable precognitive visions, and had been devoting all his resources to Minority Report-ing away the MASSIVE disasters that filled his visions before they happened... but then something DID happen...

-And that's where we kick off.

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Isn't this one due for the executioner's axe any minute? I hope the writer gets to resolve their (really odd) story first.

I did give this one a try, and I've continued to stay apprised of it, but it is very odd in its plotting and treatment of several characters. Fantomex and Psylocke, in particular, with the former's portrayal seeming completely inconsistent with his presentation elsewhere, and the latter's portrayal being a better fit for the character when she still had elements of Kwannon in her head.

At least Marrow and Dr. Nemesis are getting some use.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I kniw that All-New X-Factor is coming to an end, but I haven't heard anything about X-Force getting axed. (Doesn't mean it won't, but doesn't mean it will either).

I think that Fantomex & Betsy being different from other titles has to do with when this happens (who the fuck knows), and the fact that doing what they're doing in the company of who they're doing it with is mentally exhausting and basically brings everyone's flaws bubbling back up to the surface. (Today's chapter touched on this really strongly). Pretty much everyone starts off at their best and gets ground down to their very worst, which is one of the reasons I enjoy the series as much as I do. This series spends more time in its characters' heads (literally and figuratively) than any other series I've read.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Looks like the main threads of the story that they've been telling are starting to wrap up. I really love every time that they tell a story through Marrow's perspective, so I'm particularly fond of this issue for that.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Curious about your thoughts on the finale of this, X, seeing as you've been in love with it from the first issue. I was never particularly fascinated with it, and while the ending is pretty good for what it is, I'm just sort of left wondering if there was more of a point that I'm missing.

I guess it gave Marrow, Cable, Nemesis and Hope something to do for a while, so I should be thankful for that.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It was a bit of a strange wrap-up, I won't argue that, and the art isn't my favourite.

That being said - I think that in the grand scheme of things I was mostly prepared for it to be more of an ethical restructuring and look into what X-Force had become and should be now, and how they avoid the pitfalls that they'd descended into. On that note, I really liked it. I think that the bit where Psylocke slices him through the skull and they all talk about killing him but don't, and Hope taking Cable's place sets for a more interesting team dynamic and a clear indication of their operational procedure for how they'll be going forward without Cable's more grizzly warhound approach. Plus -- he's earned his two-eyed, two-armed retirement.

Although we get to deal with the trans-multiverse-whatever with Secret Wars, I still think it's pretty rad that Scott is leading the way with the Uncanny X-Men and Nation X, and Hope's taken up X-Force for behind the scenes. I think that there's a lot of potential for interesting interaction between the two of them - especially since nothing's happened with them since AvX.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
My biggest problem with this series is that I can't buy Fantomex
turning against the team or being such a sociopath in the first place. I think Spurrier has great ideas, is a good storyteller, has a lot of insightful thoughts about culture and the role fiction serves in it, and just all around seems like a cool dude -- but I can't get behind this story no matter how much I try. Which really disappoints me because I like the whole cast, and have been loving most of them for years (some for decades).

Fanto is possibly the one I'm least attached to, but I'm still really annoyed with his portrayal here. I would be less so, though, if it wasn't such a massive contradiction of another, better portrayal of Fantomex that was being published concurrently with this one last year over in the second volume of "Wolverine and the X-Men."

Seeing as both series started at approximately the same time ("X-Force" in February, WatX in "March"), the blame for this falls primarily to editorial, but it's really fucking wacky that Jason Latour had his positive, penitent, increasingly noble, increasingly well-adjusted portrayal of Fanto presented at a stage of "completion" in July's issue of WatX (issue #6) -- the same month Spurrier's Fanto in "X-Force" shot a Cable clone and fed it to sharks as a way of giving in to sociopathy without ruffling any feathers (issue #7).

Though I will point out that even with the first issue of Spurrier's series coming out before Latour's, Fanto hadn't yet given cause for alarm in "X-Force" by the time his drastically different portrayal was beginning to take flight as what it is in the first issue of WatX.

Anyway, back to the issues Fanto began exhibiting in "X-Force" #7, I obviously mention those without even yet looking at all the other fucked up shit Spurrier's Fanto would go on to do -- attempting to murder his teammates and all the other shit he does.

This is supposed to be the same guy who had sentenced himself to a shitty life of penance for past misdeeds, whom Logan insisted come to the Jean Grey School and teach ("Wolverine and the X-Men," vol. 2 #1)?

This is supposed to be the same guy who gave Evan, another child clone of Apocalypse (like the one he murdered), a chance to grow up and prove he didn't have to be evil? To whom he expressed regret for his actions -- as well as for whom he openly took on the role of parent, referring to himself as Evan's father (WatX, vol. 2 #4)?

This is supposed to be the same guy who stood his ground against Faithful John after Storm and Wolverine had already fallen to him, ready to give his all to protect Evan, still believing that the boy could defy his "destiny" to become Apocalypse despite Faithful John being there to kill him, having come from a future in which Evan had already given in to his dark side and wrecked the world (WatX, vol. 2 #5)?

This is the same guy who, at the end of this arc, having successfully saved Evan, told him, "You see -- I was wrong, Evan. We don't have to give in to being the monsters they say we are. We can beat them without raising a hand. All we have to do is believe" (WatX, vol. 2 #6)?

Incidentally, the lack of Fantomex is yet another reason "AXIS" sucked so much. It featured the culmination of Evan's thematic arc -- he was the only inverted hero (i.e. a villain during that story) to actually defy his villainy and help save the day -- yet Fantomex was nowhere to be seen, nor has been his response to Evan finally proving he can be good despite his nature.

Anyway, again, this atrocious mix-up can't really be blamed on the authors of these two series, who were writing them at the same time; once more, that's the editor's sin to seek atonement for.

It does, however, stand as an egregious contradiction between these two titles that in "X-Force," the Fanto clone still going by "Fantomex" hasn't merged with at least Cluster, if not both her and Weapon XIII. Fantomex and Cluster did, in fact, decide they wanted to be one person again at the end of "Uncanny X-Force," vol. 2 #9. Furthermore, not only does the demeanor and morality of Fantomex in the second volume of "Wolverine and the X-Men" indicate that they went through with that merger, but even if they didn't, for the single clone going by "Fantomex" to arrive at the level of morality and humility displayed in WatX without Cluster's positive traits instantly invalidates the entirety of his portrayal in Spurrier's "X-Force."

Now, I suppose one could argue that the reverse is equally true, but I read the WatX portrayal first, and I'm talking about why this series doesn't work for me. =P

In all honesty, I doubt that Spurrier would even care about these discrepancies. He's gone on record as saying he doesn't feel that maintaining continuity is a big deal (he's said it more than one time, truthfully) -- and while I can get behind his sentiments in general, not with titles published in the same month.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I will absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with everything you said there. I'm not as familiar with his character, but the complete disconnect seeing his version in WatXM totally threw me off.

X-Force works WAY better not connected to everything else that's supposedly going on around it at the same time in the 616 for that reason (and also the fact that it's so distant from everything else, but it feels like other factions should at least have a SMALL tip off about things like that going down - Cyclops being on the lookout for new Mutants and all, not to mention all the spying and things that would drop red flags globally).

Top Bottom