X-Men '97

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Ok, show of hands. Who here gets chills if I say this? :

"Storm, mistress of the elements, comMANDS you to reLEASE that CHILD!!"

Who here thinks I oughtta lighten up on the speeches...sugah?

X-Men '97 is phenomenal. I began reading X-Men with Uncanny X-Men #1, cuz my Dad had a big comic collection and dang Dang dang dang dang dang dang that is pure, distilled 100-proof X-Men.

It's 10 episodes long and wastes almost not one second. It also amalgamates and retells stories from the comics but still manages to keep to its own continuity almost effortlessly. It has those members of the original voice cast whom are still with us mostly reprising their roles (except for Jubilee's, who notably handed her role off to an Asian voice actress on principle), the music sounds great, and it gets a lot more right (re: the way the X-Men are portrayed in the comics) than the original Animated Series did.

For starters, CYCLOPS. The dude's been getting waaaaay short changed for a long time and I'd always been pissed about it. He is the X-Men's original main character. Professor X was always there more for expositional purposes. Cyclops is (as he comes right out in Episode 1 and says), "Definitely the Good Guy."

The characters are all true to their comics counterparts, so much of the comics' story is sumarized so succinctly and so smoothly, and it all looks great and sounds great. It's a wild fricken ride, man!!

I just can't believe how good this all is. It has tons of those easter egg thingies that are so popular these days but (wisely I think), it doesn't waste much time on them. It chooses mainly to use its time (10 eps is not that long) to focus on

Telling. A. Story. Crazy concept right?

X-Men '97's 10 episodes are available to stream on Disney+. In my view, it has all the makings of a ratings Juggernaut.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, though I've heard good things. I'm not super keen on the new specific art style (the line weights feel ever so slightly off, if that makes any sense) but I've definitely seen worse in the comics themselves.

Ghost X

I've watched the first two episodes, and am liking what I am seeing so far. Can't recall the original series to know if story quality has improved, but I get the impression it has.

Last edited:
Top Bottom