• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

X-MEN: First Class / Days of Future Past / Apocalypse / Dark Phoenix

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Sounds like this (and that one DC movie with the two famous superheroes) are both movies I should just download instead of watch in the cinema, :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Let me rephrase, I'm now seeing this tomorrow instead of today. So thoughts still on Sunday, just later that day. :awesome:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I just realized, why the fuck are they letting Magneto go at the end?

Didn't he kill a shitton of people when he fucked shit up for Apocalypse?

Like, helping them out for a bit at the end redeems him and unkills these people? C'mon.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
You just gotta love how Psylocke just walks it off in the end, like she don't give two shits about what's going on.

Olivia Munn has said that's she open to do a Psylocke spin-off film, and frankly I'm all for that, whether or not they bring back Angel as well.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I just got back from seeing this. Its really not that bad. Im not a huge fan of the prequel x-men films because of casting and retcons, but this one was fine. Critics say it's bloated with action and no real story. Thats bullshit. Sure, X-men 1 and 2 are better written and tackle issues well, and thats not what this is. But it is enjoyable, and has some great bits.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
If the MCU is what comic books would be like in real life built into a cinematography-delivered story, the X-Men films are what comic books are like as a movie.

Dear GODS, I just loved the film. Sure not all of it's excellent, and Mystique not having a weird voice in her natural form is bothersome, but it had all the things I wanted to see with really lovely cinematography.

• Awesome Cyclops origin & development.
• Fucking 100% classic Weapon X Wolverine!
• Actual Phoenix Jean Grey right from Singer's unused X3 concept art.
• BOTH of those absolutely phenomenal Quicksilver scenes.
• Forcefield Magneto.
• Oh, the use of Star Wars conversation to make an X-Men 3 dig. xD

• MOTHER FUCKIN' MISTER SINISTER AFTERCREDIT!

I still wanna know if Mystique is Nightcrawler's mom.

X :neo:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I really feel it's too late to go the Mystique is Nightcrawler's mom. Nothing that can construed as a reference to it in this movie, in the last movie it's quite clear Magneto and Mystique were in romantic relationship before he was arrested, in addition to the thing between her and Beast. And the part where she appears naked before Xavier. Putting Azazel/Mystique in there as well is a little much.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I liked it.

Though I think they could have played off of Magneto and Apocalypse roles a bit more

Magneto has very often been paralleled with Malcolm X. He firmly believes that mutants are stronger and superior to humans. He also believes that this incites fear among humans, which is why they react to mutants with prejudice. The only way to stop this fear, in Magneto's opinion, is to break it by firmly asserting mutant superiority over humans.

This could have worked well for the first half of X-Men Apocalypse where Magneto finally meets someone who he believes agrees with his cause. However, as the movie goes on, we learn that Apocalypse is less interested in mutant superiority, and more interested in survival of the fittest, or that weaker mutants only serve as fodder to make him, or who he perceives as the more superior mutants, stronger.

So now Magneto is placed in a position where he's clearly aware that he's allied with someone who's not really interested in the advancement of mutants as a species, but only in the belief that the weak should only live long enough to serve the strong. Mutants not exempt. For the first time in the film series, Magneto is forced to face a mutant extremism that even he cannot comprehend.

And maybe they could have really strengthened this self-realization within Magneto by having him notice strong parallels between the Nazi regime and Apocalypse with things such as Apocalypse sorting the mutants out by which ones possess abilities that he deems of worth

They could have accomplished this with having Apocalypse kill Angel after he fails to stop Nightcrawler from saving Charles. After witnessing Apocalypse kill another mutant just for failing him and then see him let loose on Mystique and Quicksilver would be the "click" moment for him to betray Apocalypse.

Note I copy and pasted ^ that from a reddit thread and didn't come up with it. It's just something I would have liked to see.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Saw it yesterday, I wasn't too impressed however I'm am hopeful for a few things.

We get the real dark phoenix later.
X-23 hints.
Savage Wolverine.

Outside of the screaming to the heavens, I loved every second of Eric's confrontation with the police. It made me tear up.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Best comment ever on that via: http://io9.gizmodo.com/bryan-singer-is-linking-the-x-men-movies-and-tv-shows-1785740383

CqzLzjqUkAAMBo5.jpg

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Saw Apocalypse. The consensus seemed to be not good, thought it was fine.

Although it's getting increasingly ridiculous that Magneto keeps racking up a giant death toll and just sidling away at the end with no hard feelings. Like, in the original trilogy, they are still great friends but the Prof still didn't just let him walk away...

Glad to see a truly powerful mutant take the stage in Apocalypse, he nearly solo's the entire team, without luck or contrivance, he's just really that powerful.

Quicksilver fun as always. Jean Grey was a bit wooden, but everyone else well acted.

These movies keep stressing the civil rights metaphor, but with the power levels the way they are, that's getting pretty punctured. At this stage, it ain't the mutants that need protection from the humans, it's the other way around.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It'll be quite interesting to see how this all shakes out. The decent story beats seem like they're in place, but I'm gonna wait for a proper trailer before I know what I think (especially because I'm really hoping that we finally get Phoenix looking like Phoenix for once).

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I'll be honest, I'm flaccid. I don't think casting Sansa 'Mardy Arse' Stark helped there. Also annoyed that Jennifer Lawrence is Mystique again, IMO she just didn't fit, it felt more like she's popular so she got the role. I like the change for Storm though, she looks more like the comic version (apart from the hair). Please no shitty cringe lines this time.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
JLaw was cast as Mystique back in July 2010, before most people knew who she was. She had only been in one significant role by then, and it was in an indie film most people still probably haven't heard of.

Top Bottom