Xenogames

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I've yet to get my hands on Xenogears, but I've completed all three of the Xenosaga games, and I'm actually quite fond of them.

Granted, Episode II was the DMC2 of the series (crap by comparison, but solid enough on its own), but overall the series is very, very good, imo. Epic storytelling fgj. The battle system actually made the portions of the game where you fought things (LOL) a lot of fun, and more than just a stopgap between ten minute cutscenes.

I am kinda pissed that I fucked up in one of the sidequests for Ep. II and can't get everything done unless I reset. Unfortunately, this means no fight against Dark Erde Kaiser D;

Thoughts?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I recently bought all three games from Gamestop.

What's so bad about Episode 2?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
It's not BAD, per se. It's just not as good by comparison. The battle system wasn't as good, and there was something about the interaction with people (I forget what, exactly, as it's been AGES since I played it, and only once, then).

If memory serves, it was also a bit short. On the upside, Shion and KOS-MOS' outfits get progressively more whorish as the series goes on. Hot damn.

But the series is fantastic overall. I wish more multipart games of their calibur would be released. They're very heavily story based, sort of like the Metal Gear series. And hot damn almighty is it confusing as piss until you get further into it all. Just when you think you have something figured out...guess again :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The biggest problem with two is all the changed voice actors, and they change for the worse too. Well, except chaos perhaps. KOS-MOS, MOMO, and Shion all get terrible new ones. Fortunately, KOS-MOS and Shion get their original voices back for 3, MOMO doesn't, :-\.

But yeah, like Omega said, its not necessarily bad but it isn't nearly as good as the other two. The battle system is slower and a little broken at times. It also focuses almost entirely on Junior and Albedo. Which is fine, but I wasn't nearly as interested in that story.

The story in 3 is an improvement over two, it does feel rushed at the end, but it was. The series was supposed to be 6 episodes and it was dropped to 3, so I really can't fault them. In fact I'm grateful that they tried to wrap everything up before the series died.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Good series was good. I pretty much agree wif all those points there ^

Albedo was good villains. How often do you see someone rip off their own head just to horrify people into a coma? :monster:

Nikkolas

Banned
Episode I and III are both so good they're tied for me.
Superb music, some of the best voice-acting you'll find in video games (second only to the Legacy of Kain series) and a wonderful story.
EP1 loses points for a bland battle system. And EP3 loses points for making Shion look even more like a hooker than in 2. I loved my EP1 Shion with the dorky glasses and big butt.

Personally I always liked Margulis more than Albedo.

Voyager was pure epic in P3 though. The way the VA could say "Jan Sauer" was chillingly awesome.

My favorite hero though...that's a bit harder. Shion Uuzuki in EP1 probably. In EP2 and 3 she got way too dependent and well, stupid.
Of course when it's all said and done, Allen Ridgley is the man.

Oh and
I cried during Jin's death.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I've only played Episode I, basically cause I got stuck. On the mission when you get Ziggy and he has to go rescue MOMO, I can never make it all the way through, I get killed. :/ Other than that uhh.. Good game. ;D

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I beat the first one years ago

I only purchased the other two because I just wanted to beat them all.

I really don't like the art style in the second one tho.

tangerine

B ● A ● N ● A ● N ● A
AKA
Val
I loved the series but methinks I was near the end of the third one when I stopped because my PS2 died. </3

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=725.msg32014#msg32014 date=1237489973]
Albedo's a fantastic villain, one of my favorites. And that laugh, man did Freeman nail that :P.
[/quote]
HO LEE SHIT, did he ever *shudder*

[quote author=Nikkolas link=topic=725.msg32029#msg32029 date=1237490688]
Episode I and III are both so good they're tied for me.
Superb music, some of the best voice-acting you'll find in video games (second only to the Legacy of Kain series) and a wonderful story.
EP1 loses points for a bland battle system. And EP3 loses points for making Shion look even more like a hooker than in 2. I loved my EP1 Shion with the dorky glasses and big butt.

Personally I always liked Margulis more than Albedo.

Voyager was pure epic in P3 though. The way the VA could say "Jan Sauer" was chillingly awesome.

My favorite hero though...that's a bit harder. Shion Uuzuki in EP1 probably. In EP2 and 3 she got way too dependent and well, stupid.
Of course when it's all said and done, Allen Ridgley is the man.
[/quote]
Oya. LoK DID have amazing VA.

I think what broke the battle system in Ep1 was that you could do the Double Buster bullshittery with the Brave Soul (the acc. that boost attack power as your HP goes down?). I one-shotted (well, two-shotted) the final boss with KOS-MOS using that combo and only attacked with her.

I liked the direction Shion took. She was stupidly good looking. Considering what happens with Red Testament, tho, her change in looks kinda made sense to me.

Albedo was a badass. Margulis was just really cool. Tho not as awesome as Voyager. O man, when Ziggy flipped his shit in Ep2? Awesome scene.

I liked Allen. Sad face at that one part, tho.

Favorite hero character...probably Shion, Ziggy, or Chaos. I liked Jr. in Ep1 with the gun moves that he had (Storm Waltz, Soul Rhapsody, etc), and sharing a voice Jim Hawking of Outlaw Star was a plus...but I didn't really like him overall. MOMO was annoying, and Jin was a little too cliche. Fuck his outfit. KOS-MOS was very strong and still likeable...I'd hit that :monster:

[quote author=Channy link=topic=725.msg32291#msg32291 date=1237514806]
I've only played Episode I, basically cause I got stuck. On the mission when you get Ziggy and he has to go rescue MOMO, I can never make it all the way through, I get killed. :/ Other than that uhh.. Good game. ;D[/quote]
:monster:

Which part? You've not even scratched the surface of Ep1. You've a very long way to go. It's like you've just infiltrated Shinra, rly. Not even out of Midgar yet :monster:

Art style wasn't as good in the second one. I also didn't like that random shit where they were all...

Idea Guy 1: "Hmmm, how to make our giant robots cooler for gamers?"
Idea Guy 2: "Ooh, I know! MAEK THEM BIGGAR!"

But I really love the series. All complex and thought-provoking and shit. I'd play it all from the start again if it wouldn't take so long to finish. I'm really glad I pre-ordered Ep2, because it came with a disc of all the cutscenes from Ep1. Wish they'd have done that for the other two games D;

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I thought Ep2 was supposed to come with a disk for the Ep1 cutscenes regardless of pre-order, considering that alot of people might not have played it.

And yeah, I know I'm not far, but how the fuck do you sneak around when he's fucking clunk clunk clunking everywhere? He's weak as hell on his own. And I just can't find the key. :/

I'm a little wavered on Ep3 considering that's when they start mixing in heavy religious Christian mythology an shit. Mary Magdalene? wtf?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Rly? I didn't know that. I was freaking out before the release. Was all "ZOMGWTF GIMME MAI SHIT DAMN YUUU" and hyper and everything :monster:

I think you're supposed to walk around by only lightly holding the stick in whatever direction, so that he still clunks around, but isn't as noisy.

Erm...can't...spoil...it's not...I can't say anything ;_;

They're not spouting religious propaganda or anything like that. Not sure how much you want to know. Yes, there is a good bit of Christian religious dogma stuffs in Ep3, but it's not gratuitous or anything like that; it does help to tie the overall story together. It is...certainly different, tho. Was not expecting that shit =/

So hard to explain >:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Double poast for Channy:

Hold R2 while moving, and be all Solid Snake-like and sneak (turn radar on, if it's off). Apparently you can walk a few steps behind each guard so long as you're walking, and they won't hear you.

If you do have to fight, Guard for a turn and use the beam gun to attack all the enemies at once.

If you still have them, use your Ether Upgrade items on Ziggy so he can upgrade to Bodyguard, and ESPECIALLY Recharge (very helpful!).

Once you get to MOMO, it gets a lot more manageable. It's really only so bad because you're alone.

/reading from my strategy guide :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
[quote author=Channy link=topic=725.msg32330#msg32330 date=1237530856]
I thought Ep2 was supposed to come with a disk for the Ep1 cutscenes regardless of pre-order, considering that alot of people might not have played it.
[/quote]

Yup, because Ep1 has never been released in Europa, right? O.o

Nikkolas

Banned
Get ready for Margulis. You don't have to win the fight but you should try at least. He always beat me though. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guAG_0MHpPY#noexternalembed

Epic.

But his second fight in Episode II was tough though. See up to this point I still hadn't perfected the whole Air or Down trick but once I got that, I could get him down to the point where I almost could beat him...then he'd use some h4x move which INSTANTLy ended the fight. No way about it. So I spent over an hour just restarting my game and trying to beat him before he used it. And I finally did. Second hardest boss in the main game for me next to The Patriarch. I used up almost all my items just on him but of course he's the last "real" boss so I didn't have to worry.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
O! I forgot about that! I lives in Americas...I had to preorder for my disc =/

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
I loved the Xenosaga series, but it had so many problems with the development team it had to be shortened from 6 to 3 games, and you can tell. The third game felt like it rushed alot of what was going to be developed of the course of the series, but it was still an awesome game.

They never really did say what exactly Wilhelm was, and they left it open and didnt solve everything.

But I actually liked the second Xenosaga alot. Most people said they hated the battle system, but I liked the story alot in it, but thats because I liked Albedo and Negredo the most.

Top Bottom