• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Yen Press has acquired the rights to the Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I'm trying to find more information on this so we can put an article up. Our very own Kingdom Hearts530 tipped us off on Discord. ^_^

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Almost unbelievable news for me. On the Way to a Smile is the Compilation title I stand by the most. So stoked.

I gotta say this announcement, Polygon's 500 Hundred Years Later, and Kotaku's Found In Translation have made this a great year to be a FF7 fan, despite no real Remake news.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
https://twitter.com/manganews_us/status/931935398019850240

Yen Press also said it’s the first in a line of Final Fantasy novels they will be releasing. I wonder if that means the Turks Lateral Biography novel might get licensed as well?

If this is really true, then it's about time the rest of the world gets both On the Way to Smile and if what you think is also true, Turks Lateral Biography novel! Soon as they're out, I'm so gonna order them and buy them online so can read them in my hands!:D

So like... actual translations then??

Yen Press had released actual translations of the KH manga and are doing so for the KH novels as well, so I don't see why not they won't translate the FFVII novels.

Almost unbelievable news for me. On the Way to a Smile is the Compilation title I stand by the most. So stoked.

I gotta say this announcement, Polygon's 500 Hundred Years Later, and Kotaku's Found In Translation have made this a great year to be a FF7 fan, despite no real Remake news.

Ditto to that, even though we'll have to wait until next year. Whoa, 2018 is gonna be totally huge for me!

KH3 releasing next year(if they don't delay it, I mean :P)

Dissidia NT.

On the Way to a Smile english novels.

New Pokemon games for Switch(either the 8th generation or a spin off, who knows, with hopefully news of Diamond and Pearl remakes).

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card anime.

And I'm also curious on what the Dream Arc movies of Sailor Moon Crystal will look like even though I'm still sticking to the original anime(with the first DiC English dub, not the new ViZ english version).

Kingdom Hearts530

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Heart/Sam
I'm trying to find more information on this so we can put an article up. Our very own Kingdom Hearts530 tipped us off on Discord. ^_^

*bows*

Y'all were the first guys I thought about <3

I'm really really excited for this personally. I love the TLS translations and the entire FF7 Community owes you guys a debt, but it will be interesting to see where the translations differ!

(I'm gonna try to be around more, I promise!)

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Wow, this rules. "Better late than never" certainly applies here, I'd say.
Here's hoping for more stuff.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Merged the threads and moved FGJ! Thanks, Shademp! Just caught that news on my phone during a meeting, and made a poast about it, so I'm glad it was caught earlier this weekend & looking forward to more information about it.

X :neo:

Lex

Administrator
I'm ashamed to say I didn't understand until now that this means they'll be actually published in English. When I saw the news "Yen Press acquires the rights" I kinda just went "that's a bit weird, I wonder if the original publisher let the documents lapse or something" (I am clearly not familiar with Yen Press, I assumed it was a Japanese company).

This is absolutely huge and welcome news. I have it in French, I can't wait to finally own it in English. And I really hope this paves the way for both the Turks novel and everything else (such as the XIII novellas).

Flint, I see you put a title on a post on the front page - since we now have the Siliconera link from the other thread, if you don't have it posted up by tomorrow I'm happy to take over then?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I haven't fleshed out that post because we have literally zero information. Everyone is assuming it will be an English translation, and I'm quite sure they're right to do so, but it hasn't actually been confirmed yet. We don't have a release date. We don't know how it will be distributed, or if it will only be available online.

I reached out to Yen Press on Facebook, said I was from TLS and asked if they had any more information, such as a press release. They saw my message almost immediately but it's been a couple of days now and they still haven't replied. I'm not feeling particularly inclined to write an article until we know something. If you feel differently, go ahead.

Lex

Administrator
I'll send one from the TLS Facebook and see if I get a bite.

EDIT: Never mind, you can't do that apparently. Could you send them another message or would you like me to do it from my personal account?

EDIT 2: I've sent them a message, we'll see if they respond (doubtful!)

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Very cool. I have the English novella from the Limited Edition Advent Children that has the Cases of Tifa and Barret (and another one?), so I would like to have the rest :)

Lex

Administrator
Do Yen press publish in the UK? There's nothing on UK Amazon.

tenor.gif

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I seriousy hope they'll publish it in Australia or at least in the UK. I seriously want to buy it for Christmas.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
I did see it on the UK Amazon. Same release date, lack of image, etc. If you're going to order make sure it isn't the French edition (the hardcover option). Unless you want that one ofc :monster:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I did see it on the UK Amazon. Same release date, lack of image, etc. If you're going to order make sure it isn't the French edition (the hardcover option). Unless you want that one ofc

Lol, of course I'm going to make sure it's not in French or Japanese.

Plus, if I can't get it in AUS, then UK's my next best and only option, because the new GST rule has unfortunately made Amazon US make a decision to stop shipping their stock to Australia starting the first of July this year.:(

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Not only that, but this book is combining Cases of Tifa, Denzel, Nanaki, Barret, Yuffie and ShinRa which all probably several pages worth by themselves as all six of them were seperate when they were first released in Japan a little over a decade ago. So it's liable to be hundreds of pages long when it's in a single novel.

It's like how Yen Press combined all four volumes of KH1 manga, Chain of Memories manga and KH2 manga books into less volumes and tons of more pages.

Top Bottom