• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Yen Press has acquired the rights to the Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The individual stories were never released individually. Case of Tifa and Case of Denzel were released together, as part of the "Advent Children Prologue" book; then Tifa, Denzel, and Barret's stories were published together (in English) as part of the North American Limited Edition Collector's Set release for AC; and then all the stories were published together in the complete "On the Way to A Smile" novella.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Slight addendum/correction to the above:

Case of Denzel was released on its own on the AC website shortly before the AC Prologue book that contained both Denzel and Tifa's stories.

None of the others had any kind of individual release, though.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Holy crap I noticed that Final Fantasy VII: The Kids Are Alright: A Turks Side Story is also getting an English translation.

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-Biography-Alright/dp/1975382366

Release date: January 22, 2019
Pages: 256 pages - paperback
Description: "A lot has changed the in two years since the Lifestream erupted, and a new city, Edge, has been born from the wreckage. There, a young man and woman run a private detective agency, but then they run into the infamous Turks of the Shinra Electric Power Company... The world of Final Fantasy VII expands with this prequel to the events of Advent Children!"

EDIT:

Was this, like, known stuff? Who do I have to follow to be more up-to-date on my novella announcements?

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Sweet! Not only KH3 is coming out on that month next year, but Final Fantasy VII: The Kids Are Alright-A Turks Side Story is coming out in that month too! How awesome is that!

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I wonder if they're going to re translate anything or just re release it. Also kinda odd timing but I guess it's to hype up the remake.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Which is a bit strange since I heard that the Remake wouldn't have any connections with the Compilation, and both On the Way to a Smile and The Kids Are Alright-Turks Side Story are set between the OG and Advent Children. Maybe it's to hype new fans into looking up the Compilation? Considering how Shelke was in "World of Final Fantasy", Cloud had his Advent Children outfit in Dissidia NT and Zack appearing in the 'Final Mix' version of World of Final Fantasy coming out next month, it could be possible.

I haven't been keeping close attention on these Yen Press translations, partially because I can't afford the books, so I didn't notice until now that they switched the title and sub-title.

Japanese version: "On the Way to a Smile: Final Fantasy VII"
English version: "Final Fantasy VII: On the Way to a Smile"

And for good measure here is how the full title was changed for The Kids Are Alright.

Japanese version: Final Fantasy VII: Lateral Biography Turks -The Kids Are Alright-
English version: Final Fantasy VII: The Kids Are Alright: A Turks Side Story

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Well folks the best non-OG title has finally arrived in my hands. It’s been a 9 year wait but I think it’s safe to say the Compilation has peaked. What a ride it’s been!

Okay, maybe it’s just me that likes On the Way to a Smile this much. But the characterization so good! Not only does this novella make the transition in tone from FFVII to AC more believable, but it does so while making original and interesting character developments along the way. How will Red XIII deal emotionally with outliving his loved ones? Cloud, the hero of the planet, begins life anew... as a delivery man? Firing up a reactor is a big no-no, but is it okay to use the already processed Mako if it’s to transport medical supplies? These developments give depth to the world while also elevating the original themes FFVII was built on (e.g. life, environmentalism). It’s good stuff.

0A5E8553-7F89-4F08-B79B-BCD43EDA4803.jpeg

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I wish I had that book in my hands yesterday, but a certain bookstore I went to didn't have it despite what their website had said. Oh well, at least I'll hopefully get mine for Christmas since I ordered it in. I can't wait to read it myself for real!

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
The same thing happened when my sister ordered the Ultimania Vol 1. No explanation as to why there was a delay, only that they'd get in touch when they finally shipped it. It arrived about two weeks later.

I wont be getting my hands on the OTWTAS until my birthday end of November :sadpanda: I've got zero patience :P

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
If a lot of reviews come along with complaints about the localisation, maybe we could get a comparison analysis written up that highlights the biggest differences between fan and official? I'd personally like to see that done anyway but that's just me trying to get you all to show the localisation text to me :monster:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Either too many people got their hands on the books on Tuesday too quickly that the retailers didn't have time to put them up anywhere else in the world, or the hackers that the internet had just recently are causing major problems that the book sellers aren't taking any chances? I got no clue either.

If this is happening, then I probably won't be seeing my book until the end of November...or maybe at all and I'll have to get my money back and order somewhere else. If I had a choice, I'd rather the delay rather than being told that it won't come at all...but the latter scenario is quickly becoming likely.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
None of the translations I've seen have errors like getting names wrong or anything like that. But it does seem like they took a few creative liberties and shortened things. I guess it's not bad as long as it gets the same point across. As long as it's the same basic idea, I'm fine with it. But I'll admit I've always enjoyed TLS's translations.

Top Bottom