• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Yoichi Derpa says no Final Fantasy VII remake until they top the original

ForceStealer

Double Growth
As others have said it basically amounts to another excuse.

You know, it's possible that working on an FF7 remake, and trying to tread the line between upsetting old fans and attracting new ones, would actually give them a bit of a reminder/crash course as to what made the first so good, and improve their work henceforth.
Wishful thinking? Sure, but is it any more wishful than hoping they'll just "figure it out" with FFXV? I think 13-2 addressed a lot of 13's problems, just maybe working on a 7 remake could push them the rest of the way if they have to deal with issues like what to do with a world map/airships or how to approach plot points. I know 7 doesn't have the BEST storytelling (I've said before, I think VII has the best story, while IX has the best pacing), but maybe it would remind them where they went wrong with XIII.

Maybe?

Rapunzel

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jibrille
I don't get why they keep announcing why they aren't remaking it. While I don't mind if they wait another five years or so to remake it, so many people want them to, and it's annoying for them to keep bringing it back up when they aren't going to do it anytime soon.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I don't get why they keep announcing why they aren't remaking it. While I don't mind if they wait another five years or so to remake it, so many people want them to, and it's annoying for them to keep bringing it back up when they aren't going to do it anytime soon.

Because they dont want people to forget they can. They say these things in the hope that people will continue to support them just because that remake just might be around the corner.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Well wasnt it that in this case the issue was brought up at a share holder meeting?

If so (to lazy to see page one :monster:) Then its likely that one of the shareholders asked whats up with the remake and then Derpa said this retarded statement.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
Then it shall never be released. They will never top FF7. I assume however that they will over rate a new game and class it as better, which is fine by me if it gets a FF7 remake or better yet a FF7-2

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
imo they've already surpassed the quality of FF7. A lot of games they've released prior and following have had as equal care put into its production with more polished results.

That said as for whether or not they will be able to create something as genre-defining as FF7? That will spur on a similar type of fanbase? That will have all the endearing faults? That can appeal to that sense of nostalgia? I don't think that's really possible.

The game has built up a sort of legend within the company. They can't possibly ever "top" it unless they (and the public too, for that matter) take a step back and look at it for what it is.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yup, I mean FFVII was a defining game back at the beginning of when gaming became mainstream (wow what a fucking clumsy sentence that was!) but now its such a saturated market, its really difficult to come up with something unique or original. Something thats going to stand out from the crowd. I only really see that from the indie devs who make stuff that sells for like £9.99 on Psn, its like bigger companies are to afraid to take risks.

In many ways the gaming industry has become more like the film industry. Personally I think SE need to recruit a load of fresh talent and let them come up with stuff that they otherwise wouldnt be able to do on a small budget. But again....risky biznitch innit? :/

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I think visually they are doing great, and don't have to worry there.

The stories and characters need to be fleshed out, and this is their problem.

I may be alone in saying that I would rather play an engrossing 100 hour game that made sense and engaged me.

A game that made me really feel deeply about the characters and the plot(s), as well as interesting game play. That is what I want.

... :)

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
Personally I think its their characters. They have little character. They have moved away from this japanese/anime style too. Its just like a hollywood film now. There is little game play and no sense of exploration. Since the games are so amazing graphically, you cannot make the game too big either. You want to get lost in a world.

Thats just me ranting. FF7 will never be topped imo.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
man I don't normally post in this top half of the forum but lol

They have moved away from this japanese/anime style too. Its just like a hollywood film now. There is little game play and no sense of exploration. Since the games are so amazing graphically, you cannot make the game too big either. You want to get lost in a world.

uhm.

idk about you but I think Final Fantasy is still pretty damn animu and no amount of cultural shift is going to change that sort of presentation (since it is pretty much Square Enix's trademark)
Also amazeballs graphics does not necessarily exclude size or immersiveness, wat

I think Square Enix's problem is a structural issue. Plenty of companies have done a lot more with a lot less, especially when they have imposed deadlines.
No-one but the shareholders can really tell them when they want a game, when they want it finished, and at what standard it should be at, so it feels like they're just sitting in their studios twiddling their thumbs and because they're such a huge company they're making games and products at their own pace whenever they damn well feel like it. Post-FFXII, I never really felt that they were turning out product efficiently and when XIII came out I felt that they'd been dicking around a lot, releasing a game that felt merely alright rather than something that could have blown my socks off with a story and structure that could match the novel combat system.

I'm more or less apathetic to the idea of an FFVII remake. FFVII was what it was back when I played it around the year 2000-ish and a remake will have an entirely different context. I respect their decision to withhold producing a remake until they feel they've gotten their shit together, though. If they feel obligated to produce their next earth-shattering RPG of the next generation, the onus is on them.

There just needs to have been some sort of indication that progress has been made. That's what it comes down to, I think - some sort of indication that Square Enix are working towards ideas and planning shit out so that their talent can make a working formula for a game, FFVII remake or even just the next number in the franchise. Compared to some other game developing companies, I find Square Enix to be incredibly opaque.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
FFVII, FFVIII and FFX are really the only super japanese/anime style aesthetics.

Wolfhart

embraces her dreams
AKA
Monik XIII
So anyone here thinks XV will surpass VII? (or that SE will consider that it has?). I know it's too soon to be sure but... it has a really good aspect and I believe there is much anticipation from the fans...

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I doubt it, tbh. Sure it'll sell quite well, but, won't be another FFVII. It's not a new game, doesn't introduce a whole new kind of storytelling (and graphics etc) to a new generation of gamers like FFVII did. Timing and originality (at the time) were paramount to FFVII's success.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Nah. It won't. They had some magic back then that made it a masterpiece. XV needs to stand on its own right to be better and not be a shadow of a former piece.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Exactly. The goal should never be "surpass FFVII" or "be the new FFVII". Let FFXV be its own game, shine with its own light. Square should try to get the best out of their skill. Let the crowd decide if it's the new FFVII or the new masterpiece, or whatever.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Indeed. They decided before release that XIII would be the new VII, and while they've milked that idea for all its worth, it never came close.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Just to inform anyone who hasn't been paying attention...this whole topic was invalid the moment Yoichi Wada stepped down. :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The current line of discussion isn't about Wada. And his stepping down doesn't invalidate what was said while he was in the position.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I guess, but that doesn't mean they can't change their minds based on what he said, does it?

As far as I'm aware they've already made a decent set of FF games with FFXII and FFVIII which already topped FFVII as far as I know.

Sure, FFXIII is a bit of a roller coaster ride of opinion, but stylistically it beat out FFVII long ago.

Maybe not in terms of plot...but c'mon...that's up to writers.

Lex

Administrator
You think XIII beat VII stylistically? Really?

others_opinions.gif

No seriously, I strongly strongly x10^8 disagree with the idea that XIII stylistically beats VII. In fact, the only thing that XIII beats VII on is graphics, and you don't even have that if you include advent children under the banner of VII. And I love XIII, so it's really not about hate for that game.

In terms of fan love/ reaction, no game has topped VII yet. If you look at everything objectively, you can probably say there are a few that were better designed than VII, but none have been so universally liked/ popular. It's their most popular game by a wide margin, even when you place it next to others that did incredibly well (VI, VIII, X etc.). That's the reason this thread exists and still generates discussion. Because SE will forever live in the shadow of VII until they can overcome it by creating something completely new and... "better" isn't the right word, but something that generates the same buzz.

There was an article a long time ago that talked about the launch of FFXII. It might have been Wada or something gave the first fan in line a signed copy of XII, and this fan took the copy of the game and said "please remake FFVII for PS3 thank you". The article mentioned that this dude clearly loved FF, but he had this game in his hand and already didn't care about it due to VII. It's this kind of thing SE want to stop.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Honestly I don't think that's going to happen. FFVII was a 'perfect storm' of factors that just came together and people associate good experiences and memories with.

Unless Final Fantasy XV becomes a launch title for PS4 and actually ends up being "good" in all the ways fans remember FFVII being good, I just don't think it can happen the same way.

Top Bottom