"You Only like FFVII so much because it was your first RPG"

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
"It was not my first RPG".

I guess I'd counter it like that :lol: .

Now seriously, though. Just explain why you like it. You know, "It's not because it was my first RPG, it's because... XXXX".

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Firstly, it wasn't my first RPG.

Secondly, it's not my favourite either. :awesome:

My favourite is actually FFX which is the first one I played, but my counter to that is that I didn't really like it that much when I first started to play it. It was after I had started several other FF games, and after I really got into playing IX and IV, that Flint suggested that I go back to X, which I did and I just really grew to like it. I'd also say that the better graphics helped, and the stories, like on FFVII, didn't really get to me like X's. Also I connected better with the characters.

Last edited:

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
FFVII is probably my last RPG and it's my favorite one

My first one is Crisis Core, and I still love it too

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Well personally 10 was my favorite... and it was my first RPG... and it IS my favorite because it was my first...

I probably shouldn't be in this topic.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Your last RPG? How can you say that at age 20? :)

You never know, m'dear!

Dunno my PSP is nearly 5 years old and abused and I have no money to invest on gaming platforms... I'm thinking if I get a job after I graduate I can perhaps play the KH series. I'm just not interested on non Japanese stuff.

Thanks for the encouragement though! :D

Fangu

Great Old One
"Critics, sales numbers and a constant approval from newer generations prove you wrong"

idk, in my experiences people who use arguments like that aren't really looking for a serious discussion. It's already obvious they haven't done any research on the subject.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I do like VII a lot, and it was the first RPG I played, so my counterargument would not be as simple as some that have been posted here already.

For example: the first nipples you sucked were your mother's, but you wouldn't suck them any more, would you? Or at least, you probably wouldn't enjoy doing so. Yet I still love playing Final Fantasy VII, so there must be some other reason that I like it that isn't just that it was the first RPG I played. That being the case, your hypothesis is incorrect.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
It's nonsense, the first game I ever played was a platformer called Jason Jupiter on my uncles Amstrad PC. Does that make it my favourite? Over Mario or Sonic? Hell no, it was fucking shit. So yeah, try firing that back at them, cos it doesnt work for any other genre either.

Also Ff7 wasn't my first Rpg, i'd played and loved Secret of Mana before that, and Zelda but depending on who you ask Zelda doesnt count.

Jiro

Average Jiro
That's a pathetic argument. If you didn't like the first RPG you played, what are the chances you would play another one? Also Final Fantasy VII is a good game, so I don't even get what the argument is.

I think the "no u" response is the only one the other person is worthy of. They seem like an idiot imo.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
My very first RPG was Earthbound. No u, derp :reapermon: Honestly...

Notsureiftrollingpenguine.jpg

(decided to give Fry some time off, penguins will make this thread better in his place)

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
Why should I counter argument something that is obviously true? There has been better games than FF7, for sure, but still it's the most precious gaming experience I've ever had. Eventhough it may not be the game I consider The Best anýmore, it's still one of the best games ever made. Whoever doesn't like it should stick to their Crash Bandicoot & Colin McRae Rally (both are good games), or whatever game people nowadays play.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't think it was my first RPG, for one, it was just the first I really got into. I'm sure being your/my first enters into the equation of it being my favorite. But like Octo said, the game has to be good regardless. While I'm sure they exist, I doubt that most FF fans that started with 1 find 1 to be their favorite. FF7 was revered when it first came out too, and there were plenty of people playing it that played other RPGs before it. The idea that you would like an otherwise miserable game solely due to the fact that you played it first is silly. You might be willing (or subconsciously) overlook things that someone more "experienced" would, but a bad game is a bad game.

Also, which fans are saying this to you? I'm gonna go ahead and guess fanboys of either FF6 or 9, because those two are always the ones that seem to have a vendetta against FF7. I would bet a lot of them played 6 or 9 first themselves.

Lex

Administrator
It's just a shitty argument for people who are annoyed that VII gets so much attention IMO.

It is the most popular. If anyone has access to the Playstation Network, go on to it and choose "top sellers of last week". I've yet to see it dip below number 3. It's usually at 2. It's just always in the top 3, EVERY WEEK. I think a lot of people whose favourites are anything other than VII saw it get a lot of attention and rightfully wondered why their favourite didn't get the same, but the answer is simply because people still talk about it all the time, love the world, and it sold the most. Just simple facts.

You could also think about it from another perspective: Final Fantasy VII was the first FF game ever to be released in Europe, which undoubtedly boosted sales figures and brought a new continent of people to FF. For a large percentage of those people, FFVII probably was their first jRPG.

I also don't agree with the often touted phrase "overrated" with relation to FFVII. I just don't think it's overrated. People gush about it all the damn time because they love it, but games are still subjective. I know now that I'm capable of looking at VII objectively - I see its many flaws and bad points. I've played the game to death. I know the damn thing better than any other game I've played. There are bits of it that I can't stand playing through (mainly the first Kalm visit) which is arguably one of the most awesome moments for a first time or 2nd time player.

I'd still play through it again. Over and over The same can be said for other FF games, but they're missing something that VII gives me. And it wasn't my first RPG :monster:

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Well, FFVII wasn't my first RPG. It was Secret of Mana, although admittedly I wasn't too great at it as I was very young at the time. But for the first RPG I actually could play through without running for help every 5 minutes? Chrono Trigger. :awesome:

But if someone went up to me and told me that I only like VII because it was my first RPG, I'd tell them to STFU and that they're not allowed to tell me their reasons why I like my games. I don't go around telling them that the only reason that they dislike VII is because it's so popular or that they only dislike VII because it'll make them OMG OH SO COOL and OH SO INDIVIDUALISTIC, not like the stupid hordes of sheeple that mindlessly love VII for no reason, or that they're just being stupid FF hipsters. I know what I like and the reasons I like them, so don't force your reasons on me, kthnxbai.

Also, what's wrong with liking the first RPG you played?

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
What bothers me is that people sometimes are just butthurt about "their" game not being popular.

I mean, hell, I love the first two Lufia games. The last two are kind of weak, in my opinion. And let's not even talk about the Square rendition of Lufia II. It's not a popular game at all, but you know what? I love it to pieces. It came out late in Spain, and I had been anticipating it for more than a year since I first saw it on a magazine. The whole "swords and magic" thing was amazing to me, and captivated me. When I got it, I absolutely loved its cliché story (I was a kid), and to this day I think it's one of the games that I've seen to be able to pull out a cliché story the best. It's a very simple RPG game in terms of gameplay, but it does its job, and it has puzzles to add a little variety.

It's not popular, and definitely a lot less than other games from the same time that I tend to enjoy less. What about it? Should I be butthurt? No way! It's MY choice. I am the one who likes that game. The others don't? Oh well, shame. :) No need to attack their preferences. I know what it feels like to be in love with a game, and I can understand how much it'd hurt to see someone critisize it.

I rambled quite badly, but hopefully I got my point across.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The term overrated is overrated. Absolutely EVERY game is overrated by those who like it, and underrated by those who don't. Its just relative.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
"so?"

It's nonsense, the first game I ever played was a platformer called Jason Jupiter on my uncles Amstrad PC. Does that make it my favourite? Over Mario or Sonic? Hell no, it was fucking shit. So yeah, try firing that back at them, cos it doesnt work for any other genre either.

Also Ff7 wasn't my first Rpg, i'd played and loved Secret of Mana before that, and Zelda but depending on who you ask Zelda doesnt count.
Bro-fist-thanking for Amstrad computers. My first computer too (damn you Short Circuit game I couldn't beat!)

Lex

Administrator
My first RPG was Monkey Island on the Commodore 64. I loved it, but I like VII more :monster:

EDIT: It was actually the Amiga 500, not the Commodore 64. I think I was about 5 years old.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
My first RPG was FFIV, and my favourite is FFVI (with FFIX or Chrono Trigger being close seconds). This is a stupid line of argument though. :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
My first was FFVII, although I only started to appreciate it after I started looking more at it with the Compilation. I don't know if I'd call it my absolute favourite but it does have a special place for me.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
My first RPG was Monkey Island on the Commodore 64. I loved it, but I like VII more :monster:

EDIT: It was actually the Amiga 500, not the Commodore 64. I think I was about 5 years old.

i tried to play monkey island once. that game is totally insane. one of the best game ever :monster:

In short, Mr. Thread Starter guy, you fight argue like a cow! :wacky:

Top Bottom