• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Your friends and Twilight

Do you think less of people who like Twilight?

• Yes, it's pretty damn embarassing and stupid to like this damn series.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • No, they can like whatever they like. Bad taste be damned.

Votes: 28 68.3%

• Total voters

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I want to ask a serious question here, that came up with another person I know.

Whenever you discover one of your friends likes Twilight....

...do you secretly in your heart, think a little less of them? Be honest, I'm genuinely curious. No judgment here at all or anything like that. Just want to know and discuss it.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I generally don't care when my close friends like Twilight. With my more distant friends, it's...complicated. If they like it and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, yeah, I'm gonna think less of them. If they like it, but realize it's a pretty dumb book, I'll be fine with them.

NoenGaruth

That Guy With The Midgar Model
AKA
NoenGaruth, Stolz, Blitzwing, Ryoko Asakura, Judge Magister Gabranth, Col. Hans Landa, Itsuki Koizumi, Treize Khushrenada
I dont really have to worry much about this since all the girls in my circle dislike it save one who's only read the books but shes ok since she isn't obsessed or anything.

Tho wether or not I'd look down on a friend who likes it depends on 3 scenarios:

1. They just like it (such as my friend I mentioned), in which case I wouldn't think any less of them, they think it's ok and like to watch the movies or read the books, then yeah that's fine cause its just something that entertains them.

2. They're really into it and have lots of merch and attend the midnight premieres etc. I could still tolerate this if they're my friend, however they will be subjected to me mocking the series frequently.

3. They're the crazy foaming-at-the-mouth type (as in the "Edward-suck-the-blood-from-the-wound-I-just-cut-on-my-neck" crazy), at which I'd probablly stop hanging around them all together....or commit them to an asylum.

mentaz

bubbles
I generally don't care when my close friends like Twilight. With my more distant friends, it's...complicated. If they like it and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, yeah, I'm gonna think less of them. If they like it, but realize it's a pretty dumb book, I'll be fine with them.
^ same.

Two of my closest friends like Twilight, but they only saw the first movie (they never read the books) and thought it was an okay movie, nothing extraordinary. I think that they only like it, because it has vampires - they like anything related to vampires - and they're oh so emo/goth. They know I don't like it and are fine with it, and I'm fine with them liking it.

Now, another girl that I know, loves Twilight more that anything in the world, and says that the reasons why I don't like it, are because I'm not romantic (ever since I didn't cry my eyes out while watching A Walk to Remember, she says that I don't possess a romantic bone in my body. Go figure.) and read more manga than books (not really). So, yeah I do think a little less of her, but she can can like whatever she wants.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Hmm. Well, there are five of us in the group and we all have different opinions on many things. Three of us (them) absolutely adore Twilight to the point of no return. Two are on "Team Edward" and one is on "Team Jacob". I know so because this always comes up in our random hang out discussions. And I mean always. Especially now that they've just watched New Moon. They even have the t-shirts. >_>

The two sane ones left are my non-bookish friend and I. I'm pretty much an anti-Twilight, and she's a neutral/doesn't care. So I'm all alone in making fun of Twilight whenever they discuss it. :monster:

I don't really think any less of them, now that you mention it. I just find it really funny sometimes, and I'm just thankful they're not exactly like the rabid fangirls we see around the net and everywhere else. They do agree on some anti-points I make, and they listen to my complaints. Sometimes they even mock Twilight with me. But I think they still love Edward and Jacob more than me. :desu:

They probably think less of me. After all, I frequently insult their Meyer goddess and her sparkly minions. :awesome:

Edit:
Oh yeah, my older female cousins all love Twilight too. I showed them the movie in hopes of getting an anti-Twilight ally, but they ended up loving Sparklypants a lot. At least they refuse to read the books. >_> My mom and aunt loved the movie too, and are planning on taking me to the cinema this weekend to watch New Moon. I think they have the false impression that I like the series... :@ Wtf

Also, this. :monster:

Last edited:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Honestly, I'm kinda used to my friends chasing after the latest retarded emo hunk, so Twilight's not really a biggie for me. Plus they're not rabid about it, just enjoy it as a guilty pleasure, knowing full well it sucks...

Not vampire-blood suck, shitty-writing suck.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
I don't think less of the people I know and am friends with in terms of them being people, but rather, their tastes. To each their own, I suppose. If you wanna like shitty literature and equally shitty movies, that's your deal.

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
As long as they don't hurt themselves, me, or anyone else, I don't give the hind end of a rat what my friends do or like.

Anzu Mazaki

Pro Adventurer
None of my friends like it so we don't ever really talk about it. But I really couldn't care less about what other people like, nor do I care to judge people for what they like.

Isabella

Your Mom
I don't know that I look down on them, but I do wonder what they get out of it. I got dragged to it this weekend by 4 of my Twitard friends, and I just sat there and thought, "wtf is everyone squealing at?" Oppressive, controlling man-boys are an aphrodisiac, I guess.

But then again, at this very moment I'm posting at a forum dedicated to a 12-year-old video game, so who am I to judge? :monster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't know that I look down on them, but I do wonder what they get out of it. I got dragged to it this weekend by 4 of my Twitard friends, and I just sat there and thought, "wtf is everyone squealing at?" Oppressive, controlling man-boys are an aphrodisiac, I guess.

But then again, at this very moment I'm posting at a forum dedicated to a 12-year-old video game, so who am I to judge? :monster:

You're a damn good judge. Shut up.

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
I don't look down on anyone for it as I myself am a Twilight fan (AM NOT A RABID BUT I LIEK IT, SO SUE ME :monster:) but am not crazy about it. Yes, I do like the books, though I've only read 2 so far and the 1st movie was great. I admit the sparkly bit was a bit bland and annoying, but I tolerate it. I give Meyer props for trying to be more original in her take on vamps, though alot of media (and angry peeps) has slammed her for that move.

Back more to topic, I have some Twi-friends and, as I mentioned above, I don't hate them, even if they are rabid about it as I have very high tolerance of most things and don't make fun of them either (though honestly, Rob/Edward is so NOT hawt >_>) or tell them off. That's just me, to each their own.

~ SoS

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
A couple of my friends like Twilight, and many of my coworkers (who I see more often than any of my friends) adore it. I don't really care either way, people can't help what they enjoy. I have my fair share of guilty pleasures.

but, when it comes to the point where you admire Twilight so much that you actually think it's some sort of literary masterpiece... then yeah, I am probably going to get my snob on. This actually happened to me yesterday, while having been forced to work with 3 obsessive Twitards. I brought up Lord of the Rings (because everybody likes LOTR... right?) and was mocked by 3 serious Twitards because "Hobbits are ttly stoopid lol!" I probably would not care about this if not 5 minutes later they ask me whether I'm "Team Edward" or "Team Jacob" and go onto discuss how awesome Stephenie Meyer is... I just couldn't handle it. Taste is one thing, but intelligence is another.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Given that me and all my friends rip the piss out of each other constantly, I'd feel disappointed in myself if I didn't take the time to rip on them for liking Twilight as a film (see example A: my girlfriend Bex) But that shouldn't stop them for liking whatever they like, they're perfectly entitled to.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Wow, no. I don't think less of my friends that DO like Twilight. What I do frown upon, is when THEY get mad at ME for not liking it. For instance, one of my best friends is completely in love with the series. She loves the story, the characters, thinks it's a marvelous dark romance that should be loved by all. She recently got mad at me because on my Facebook I've been posting a lot of Anti Twilight comments. You know, if I didn't damn her for liking it, and resisted commenting with things such as, "Ew, that's gross" etc, she shouldn't damn me for disliking it either.

I can't stand crazed fans, either. But that's not just for Twilight, that's for anything. People that seriously look at you like they want to KILL you for not worshipping the godliness that is supposedly Edward, really freak me the fuck out.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
What I do frown upon, is when THEY get mad at ME for not liking it.
Damn man, thats indescribably shitty of them

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
My cousin is a Twilight fan, she reads the books, watches the films and think Pattinson is hot. And I can't help but wonder ".....WHY!?!?!"

So yes, I love my cousin but I have to question how the hell she can like the franchise.

I answered "Yes" on the poll. If you're mildly interested that's fine, but if you're a Twilight fangirl, I think it demonstrates your views on love, literature and relationships.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Given that me and all my friends rip the piss out of each other constantly, I'd feel disappointed in myself if I didn't take the time to rip on them for liking Twilight as a film (see example A: my girlfriend Bex) But that shouldn't stop them for liking whatever they like, they're perfectly entitled to.
She LIKES that piece of shit film? Well now I have to dislike her on principle.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Well,she bought it on the cheap and then sold it again. Whether or not, this constitutes 'like' is up to you, the viewer.

Emma

The Minish Elf
Well, I don't mind what they like. I express that I don't like it, but they'd usually go about trying to make me like it in aggressive way.

On a Naruto forum I made a thread about New Moon's sales and hundreds of other members even agreed with me that the writing in the book was just terrible, but we weren't insulting the fandom but the style of it. But along comes Twilight fans. They start to insult us and give us bad rep.

I brought it up to a friend, and they mentioned they too liked Twilight. I was like "Hey, that's cool in and all, but I don't like the writing. She could have tried harder." and you know what happened? That person freaked on me >.>

You won't believe the negative feed back all the members that posted there got, especially me.

So, no I don't mind what they like, but when I express that to them, they ditch a friend and insult them. :S

I've got a couple friends that like Twilight; I don't know how hardcore they are in liking it (although one really did not seem amused by a general "lol, sparkly vampires" type comment), but as long as they're not rabid fans I'm not overly bothered. It's when people legitimately start to think of it as Great Literature - and will actually attempt to argue this point - that I get annoyed. So yeah, I guess I do judge people that don't acknowledge its flaws/are hostile to those that don't think it's perfection - but, come on, I think I'm justified. :monster:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I admit the sparkly bit was a bit bland and annoying, but I tolerate it. I give Meyer props for trying to be more original in her take on vamps, though alot of media (and angry peeps) has slammed her for that move.

Meyer tried to be original, but ended up ripping up the race of vampires. Despite being fantasy creatures, there are still rules to be observed when dealing with them, and basic things that you can’t oversee, especially when folklore regarding vampires has been around during thousands of years. If she considered vampires something disgusting to deal with, she could have come up with creatures of her own creation, named by her. You cannot take any hot guy, hang around his neck a sign of “Vampire”, and make him have attributes that contradict his condition. That’s the reason why people who like vampire books mock her.
In my opinion, I liked Pattinson more when he was Cedric Diggory :monster:

This actually happened to me yesterday, while having been forced to work with 3 obsessive Twitards. I brought up Lord of the Rings (because everybody likes LOTR... right?) and was mocked by 3 serious Twitards because "Hobbits are ttly stoopid lol!" I probably would not care about this if not 5 minutes later they ask me whether I'm "Team Edward" or "Team Jacob" and go onto discuss how awesome Stephenie Meyer is... I just couldn't handle it. Taste is one thing, but intelligence is another.

Hobbits are stupid but sparkly vampires who have no fangs and can walk on daylight without any protection aren’t stupid?
I prefer "Team Alucard" :monster:

I’m used to the fact that my friends like shitty literature, that they are obsessed with the latest soap opera, with the romantic comedy of the moment and with gossip magazines. I wouldn’t think less of them if they liked Twilight, it just wouldn’t surprise me at all. They can like whatever they want. If they like shitty novels, it’s ok, if they like ridiculous characters, it’s ok, if they like a stalking, oppressive boyfriend, whatever floats their boats, I don’t care.

But I find it funny how many women find excusable for a pretty boy what they would never permit to a real life man.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Well,she bought it on the cheap and then sold it again. Whether or not, this constitutes 'like' is up to you, the viewer.
Was she able to turn a profit?

Top Bottom