Yu-Gi-Oh!

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well if this doesn't get you assholes posting again, I don't know what will.

Konami revealed at Comic-Con that...we'll be getting a theatre release of the YGO: 10th anniversary OVA. Now named, Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Bonds Beyond Time.

Movie will be in 3-D.

This is the trailer.

And if you look at that other link, you'll notice some of the new products in line for release. Yes. That is a Yami Malik structure deck grinning at you from the shelf.

A preview of the movie will be shown at the YGO World Championship August 14-15th. Another reason to kick myself for not winning. :monster:

Btw, check out the Studio Dice website again. The gallery has an awesome Seto Kaiba and Mokuba picture that NEEDS to be ripped. And a new little cartoon Takahashi has animated for the website, called Button. It's adorable.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Apparently not. :monster:

Did you even watch the trailer or did you just cringe at the 3D and not look at anything else?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
lol, no I watched it. I thought "WHOLE" was an odd word to make the huge one on the screen. :monster:

It looks cool - Yugi's just so much cooler than the other two :D
Are they coming back to Yugi's time? (Given that Pegasus is there) And did they give a release date yet?

I still can't believe they held back the Japanese DVD for the American release, that's pretty crazy.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
lol, no I watched it. I thought "WHOLE" was an odd word to make the huge one on the screen. :monster:

LOL now that you mention it, it is odd...

It looks cool - Yugi's just so much cooler than the other two :D
Are they coming back to Yugi's time? (Given that Pegasus is there) And did they give a release date yet?

Yes, he is. But I still like the others too. Judai's scared face while riding on the back of Yusei's bike is hilarious.

And yes, you are correct. The final duel against Paradox takes place in Yugi's time (which going by the timeline of events in YGO, would be the year 1997). It happens right smack in the middle of Domino City square, where Yugi would begin Battle City.

Paradox travels from whatever year 5Ds takes place, to sometime after the year 2007 to beat the crap out of Judai in Venice, and then finally 1997 where he's defeated.

I still can't believe they held back the Japanese DVD for the American release, that's pretty crazy.

Can you blame them though? They gotta do all they can to maximize this thing's profitability. The anime market's rough as it is, and if you're 4kids, you really can't afford to have ANY competition right now. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well they could try not sucking for awhile - that might pick up some slack too.

ROFFL, that too. :monster:

Speaking of 4kids, they do seem to be trying in their own special way. At least in terms of other anime properties.

Going by what's been talked about at Comic-Con, and people who actually worked there, regarding anime broadcasting and 4kids edits, a lot of those edits they made were either done because the networks demanded them, because of FCC regulations on advertising, and because they had to ensure the series was ready for broadcast regardless what country it aired in.

Now see, the real thing I"d get on them for is, WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU MARKET YGO AS A KIDS SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE? The fact they tried to air YGO during the children's programming block of US TV already neutered the series beyond hope. It was that reason alone, and their desire to play it down to the lowest common denominator of kids, that resulted in it getting gutted the way it did.

But hell, 4kids for some stupid reason thinks young pre-pubescent children are the best target demographic EVAR so, you reap what you sow.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
You'retotally right about them mistargeting Yu-Gi-Oh, but even so, why do anime get so much more neutered than American TV?

I remember when I was young watching YGO wondering why they'd imply Joey was hitting Yugi but not show it when the very next show that would come on was Batman and he's beating the piss out of everyone. What's with that?

I just finished watching Avatar too, an American show, there is a lot of violence in that show, with a lot of mention of death and even *gasp* killing, even if no characters actually die. Not to mention plenty of talk of reincarnation and spirit worlds and shit.

So even though YGO was mistargeted, it still doesn't make sense that it was as butchered as it was. That's why I always figured 4kids carried most of the blame.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You'retotally right about them mistargeting Yu-Gi-Oh, but even so, why do anime get so much more neutered than American TV?

Well not all anime does. It just depends on whether or not it's gonna be on network or cable, which network it airs on, the time slot, and the popularity. All those factors play a role in how uncut an anime will be. If its appearing on network television then expect it to be a hollow shell of its true self.

Hell, Dragonball Z Kai (which is done by Funimation, a GOOD distribution studio) is getting screwed thanks to being on Nick. They have this stupid rule on editing 'human on human' violence, which means no blood or bruises are to be shown when a humanoid character fights another humanoid. Also, all drug and sex jokes or anything close must be totally removed. Dragonball Z Kai sucks ass.

I remember when I was young watching YGO wondering why they'd imply Joey was hitting Yugi but not show it when the very next show that would come on was Batman and he's beating the piss out of everyone. What's with that?

I think anime gets a bit more targeted due to it being a foreign show, versus a local cartoon. That, and Batman the Animated Series got away with a lot due to it being more of a cartoon in the censor's eye. But even then, Bruce Tim talked about how he had to edit a lot of his shit, thanks to Warner Bros and the FCC not liking how gritty he wanted to make his series. You'll notice how the show got toned down the more it stayed on the air.

I just finished watching Avatar too, an American show, there is a lot of violence in that show, with a lot of mention of death and even *gasp* killing, even if no characters actually die. Not to mention plenty of talk of reincarnation and spirit worlds and shit.

Avatar airs on cable though. Remember that. It being on a cable station like Nikelodeon.

So even though YGO was mistargeted, it still doesn't make sense that it was as butchered as it was. That's why I always figured 4kids carried most of the blame.

YGO being aired on a network station, during children's broadcasting hours, and having to be marketed and localized for children all over the world, while going through the hurdles of FCC regulation AND network regulation is why we have the hollow shell we do now.

I'd say that 75% of it is 4kids fault because they made the dumb choice to make YGO more cartoony and target it towards kids in the first place. They wanted money though. Lots of it. And how else do you do that but try to take it out of the niche market and "cartoonify" it? Of course that ended up biting them in the ass.

Another fucked up thing is the reason why we never got an uncut DVD release of the series. Which apparently resulted in some contractual bullfuckery between the Japanese NAS studio that releases the original subs, Yugi's VA contract expiring, and 4kids losing the rights to show the series outside broadcast. They apparently can't show YGO DM anymore unless its on tv.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That's very stupid - though as I complained before, those Uncut DVDs were WAY overpriced for only 3 episodes.

By the way, do you know if Judai makes any reference to his duel with Yugi in the movie? How are 4kids going to deal with that given that completely ignored the 4th season. (I'm still amazed by that, though I suppose I shouldn't be)

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's very stupid - though as I complained before, those Uncut DVDs were WAY overpriced for only 3 episodes.

By the way, do you know if Judai makes any reference to his duel with Yugi in the movie? How are 4kids going to deal with that given that completely ignored the 4th season. (I'm still amazed by that, though I suppose I shouldn't be)

Yeah, the prices did suck ass.

No he doesn't, because that duel wasn't really Judai traveling back in time, it was magic that the actual Yugi and Winged Kuriboh did using Yugi's original deck. It was more akin to an illusion.

Yeah, them skipping the entire 4th Season of YGO GX is pretty retarded.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
He does, but he wouldn't really say anything about it since the real Yugi of the past already expressed he doesn't know him at all. :monster:

crack

Donator
Thanks for the updates, Mako. Sorry to hear you lost!

Can't say much besides the fact that I'd really like to watch this movie, and that I need to catch up with 5Ds.

Also, Yugi > other two. I'll try ripping all those pictures too. If anyone's interested I have a bunch of 5DX group fanart and generally pictures of all the Yu-Gi-Oh characters, I could share those.

And does anyone else think a reboot of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! would be awesome? :awesome:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Ohhh, if you ripped some of those pics, that'd be awesome thank you!

And of course you shuold share the fanart. You don't have to ask. :monster:

Depends on how the reboot was done, really. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have an animated series in line with the manga. And if they did that, they could animate YGO R. I think that would be awesome. YGO R needs an animated adaptation.

And Millennium World needs to be redone. It was not done justice at all.

Oh, and guess what? Konami has apparently confirmed that the movie will be longer here than it was in Japan. Which means new additional footage has been added for us. Fuckin' sweet.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
And Millennium World needs to be redone. It was not done justice at all.

Quoted for damn truth. I like that season because I want to, bu you're absolutely right, it should have been awesome.

Why was the Doma arc's animation leaps and bounds better? A damn filler season? I always hear about budget stuff during Millennium World, why would they have blown the budget on a filler season, knowing the end of the manga was due out? I don't understand it.

I also know he was under pressure to get it back to card games. Assholes. We had plenty of card games, the Egyptian shit is what I wanted to see :rage: Forcing him to focus on so much Duel Monster's combat probably made it worse, because there wasn't any strategy, and Diabound was a Deus-Ex Machina if I've ever seen one.
And after 4 season's of foreshadowing Kaiba's ancestral rivalry with Atem, and the actual fight between them was the lamest thing ever, lasting mere minutes without Kaiba even under his own control. I thought they kinda nerfed the Millennium Items, too. They also didn't really do anything to rectify their "vaguely established" powers. We learned more about their individual abilities during the normal seasons. And knows what the hell the Scales do (based on the just the anime).

There are moments of beautiful animation, but they're fleeting while Doma looks pretty damn good throughout (with some exceptions of course).

...I could go on (such as the Dark RPG having no discernible rules whatsoever), but you get the point. Suffice to say, I agree:monster:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I need to catch up with 5Ds.

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY YUSEI CAKE
I'm not as think as you drunk I am!

No, you really do not need to catch up with 5Ds. 5Ds has gone straight to Hell, and you'll only make yourself miserable if you try to untangle the nonsense that's gone on. I don't even know where to begin.

Don't listen to him. :awesome:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Maria said:
Can't say much besides the fact that I'd really like to watch this movie, and that I need to catch up with 5Ds.

No, you really do not need to catch up with 5Ds. 5Ds has gone straight to Hell, and you'll only make yourself miserable if you try to untangle the nonsense that's gone on. I don't even know where to begin.

Forcestealer said:
Why was the Doma arc's animation leaps and bounds better? A damn filler season? I always hear about budget stuff during Millennium World, why would they have blown the budget on a filler season, knowing the end of the manga was due out? I don't understand it.

It wasn't the budget. It was the animation directors. Kenichi Hara and Takahiro Kagami, one of the best animators for YGO, were the ones who did a lot of the episodes of that arc. Then after that they got the bum fuck idea to introduce Yoshikatsu Inoue for the remainder of the series, and that's why we got what we did. FYI, I laid out all of this in this post of mine on the most popular directors of DM here. :monster:

I also know he was under pressure to get it back to card games. Assholes. We had plenty of card games, the Egyptian shit is what I wanted to see Forcing him to focus on so much Duel Monster's combat probably made it worse, because there wasn't any strategy, and Diabound was a Deus-Ex Machina if I've ever seen one.

Well I agree, but unfortunately that's what the unwashed masses wanted. The Millennium World arc sadly was the least popular part of the story during its run in Weekly Shonen Jump. But I'm not sure how the combat was like Duel Monsters, unless you're talking about how the stone slabs were like cards, which again. Made sense. There wasn't supposed to be any strategy. It was supposed to be a straight up monster fight with magic. And Diabound's a dues ex machina? How? It belongs to Bakura, a villain. It didn't solve anything. It was just a horribly strong weapon for the villain. Which makes perfect sense. He was the main bad guy so it'd only make sense for him to have one of the strongest ka that rivaled even the gods.

And after 4 season's of foreshadowing Kaiba's ancestral rivalry with Atem, and the actual fight between them was the lamest thing ever, lasting mere minutes without Kaiba even under his own control.

It was a red herring, I've already explained that. Their whole rivalry wasn't that thick and bitter to begin with, and it was merely supposed to serve as a plot twist that in the past, they weren't bitter rivals at all. They were actually friends, which Isis explained when it's revealed that it was Priest Set who had the memory stele created for Atem and wrote the poem in regards to him. They were friendly rivals, never enemies. Which Seto didn't want to believe.

It was supposed to show that the reason Seto wanted to beat Yugi so badly was not because he hated him, but because he respected them and deep down saw Yugi as a friend. They helped each other, and built each other up. The line between rival and friends became blurred with them because 3000 years ago, they were friends.

I thought they kinda nerfed the Millennium Items, too. They also didn't really do anything to rectify their "vaguely established" powers. We learned more about their individual abilities during the normal seasons. And knows what the hell the Scales do (based on the just the anime).

Really? For one, all the Millennium Items allow for the user to summon and control ka, and use heka (magic). The Millennium Rod pulls ka from people and seals them in slabs. The Eye can look into a man's soul and see what the ka looks like and how strong it is. It's also said to grant its user one wish when embedded into someone the first time. The scales weigh a person's heart against the Feather of Ma'at and allows Ka to fuse into one. The Millennium Ring seals souls into objects, and the necklace can see the future. The Millennium Puzzle also grants the person one wish, and allows for whoever uses it to become smarter and better at Games of Darkness, and magic. It's the ultimate control for all the Games of Darkness in YGO.

I'm pretty sure the anime explained them, but maybe it wasn't as clear as the manga. But those are what the items do individually.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
And Diabound's a dues ex machina? How? It belongs to Bakura, a villain. It didn't solve anything. It was just a horribly strong weapon for the villain. Which makes perfect sense. He was the main bad guy so it'd only make sense for him to have one of the strongest ka that rivaled even the gods.

Well then the opposite of deus ex machina then (devil ex machina?). I understand that it had to be strong and all it was just...kinda repetitive. I mean once it kills a god where do you go from there? They just keep flinging monsters at it - none of which would do anything. They finally DO kill it, and Bakura rewinds time. I know that's part of the Dark RPG thing - but again, that didn't have any rules either.
One exception was the battle between Mahad and Bakura, that had some strategery and was a little fun to watch. But it made it that much more unbelievable that the entire freaking court couldn't defeat it when one of them nearly did.

It was a red herring, I've already explained that. Their whole rivalry wasn't that thick and bitter to begin with, and it was merely supposed to serve as a plot twist that in the past, they weren't bitter rivals at all. They were actually friends, which Isis explained when it's revealed that it was Priest Set who had the memory stele created for Atem and wrote the poem in regards to him. They were friendly rivals, never enemies. Which Seto didn't want to believe.

But honestly they didn't even seem like friendly rivals. There didn't appear to be any rivalry at all.

Really? For one, all the Millennium Items allow for the user to summon and control ka, and use heka (magic). The Millennium Rod pulls ka from people and seals them in slabs. The Eye can look into a man's soul and see what the ka looks like and how strong it is. It's also said to grant its user one wish when embedded into someone the first time. The scales weigh a person's heart against the Feather of Ma'at and allows Ka to fuse into one. The Millennium Ring seals souls into objects, and the necklace can see the future. The Millennium Puzzle also grants the person one wish, and allows for whoever uses it to become smarter and better at Games of Darkness, and magic. It's the ultimate control for all the Games of Darkness in YGO.

I'm pretty sure the anime explained them, but maybe it wasn't as clear as the manga. But those are what the items do individually.

The Scales weren't explained at all in the anime - apart from being Polymerization, the Feather of Ma'at was only in the manga. But other than that I guess you're right, but it never really went into their Shadow and Penalty Game abilities.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well then the opposite of deus ex machina then (devil ex machina?). I understand that it had to be strong and all it was just...kinda repetitive. I mean once it kills a god where do you go from there? They just keep flinging monsters at it - none of which would do anything. They finally DO kill it, and Bakura rewinds time. I know that's part of the Dark RPG thing - but again, that didn't have any rules either.
One exception was the battle between Mahad and Bakura, that had some strategery and was a little fun to watch. But it made it that much more unbelievable that the entire freaking court couldn't defeat it when one of them nearly did.

It's not supposed to be a game though. It's supposed to be straight up fighting. There's magic and demon-on-demon fighting. It's not like a turn based card game. It's a full on mystical brawl.

The rules of the Dark RPG were simple. You play it as a table top RPG where every action and move required turns and and choices, and each character had a set amount of HP. Bakura was the Game Master, and had three special abilities. Time Rewind, Time Stop, and Zorc Necrophades's Revival.

And considering Thief King Bakura was an avatar of the great god of darkness, Zorc, he shouldn't be easy to defeat. His Diabound's power is unlimited potential and evolution. It took ALL of them, using every trick they knew, to finally take it down.

But honestly they didn't even seem like friendly rivals. There didn't appear to be any rivalry at all.

Don't you remember the practice/sparring Atem and Set had to prepare themselves for Bakura again, after he attacked them the first time? When Atem beat Set with Kuriboh after he insulted it, and tried to defeat it with Battle Ox? That shows quite clearly they were rivals and had done this before.

The Scales weren't explained at all in the anime - apart from being Polymerization, the Feather of Ma'at was only in the manga. But other than that I guess you're right, but it never really went into their Shadow and Penalty Game abilities.

They left that out? Really? I swore that they... Well damn. That's stupid. Even more reason for this arc to be redone then.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
They left that out? Really? I swore that they... Well damn. That's stupid. Even more reason for this arc to be redone then.

Not only that, I have no recollection whatsoever of this:

Don't you remember the practice/sparring Atem and Set had to prepare themselves for Bakura again, after he attacked them the first time? When Atem beat Set with Kuriboh after he insulted it, and tried to defeat it with Battle Ox? That shows quite clearly they were rivals and had done this before.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Not only that, I have no recollection whatsoever of this:

Good God, they omitted that as well. Well fuck.

See, I blocked out the anime adaption of Millennium World due to how underwhelming it was, but this makes it even worst.

Yeah, they left a lot out. I just know the manga too well. Damn, they really screwed the pooch on that arc, in terms of the anime. You really should just go on and read it, and forget all about the anime's version. It's pathetic. Easily the weakest arc in YGO, which horribly ironic and unfair.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Awesome. It's a very good manga arc. Truly one of my favorites to read. Another thing I don't like about the anime adaption is how they nerf Thief King Bakura's attitude and bloodthirst. He's horribly violent and evil. The artwork is better too. I'm sure you noticed how stiff the action looks, and weak the style was.

The only thing that sucks is that Kaiba has no role in the manga version of the arc. He's off doing his own thing in Kaiba Corp America. I liked how Kaiba got involved. But he had his resolution so I guess I understand.

Top Bottom