Yu-Gi-Oh!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
269708686_446550796880228_3113632629503275367_n.jpg

Christmas present from my sister :lol:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So, @Makoeyes987 , how much have you kept up with the card game all these years? I obviously had fallen behind even when this thread started 12 years ago, but I downloaded Master Duel and hot damn the game is unrecognizable. :lol:

Firstly, I really appreciate the production values. It looks (and sounds!) great.

But man, I guess the game is just now summoning a thousand things that continually destroy and re-summon each other and keep cranking up their attack points and suddenly there's 6 monsters on their field all in colors I've never seen before and the description text on all of them is way too long to read in the three nanoseconds each card is on the field and they end their first turn and I'm sitting there ready to play one defense position monster and set a card like
32bbf62adc1d0c3c8c8f8dfd83754235_w200.gif

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm "aware" in a broad sense because I like looking at some of the news cards and decks but I definitely don't play anymore. I bailed out around the start of Arc-V Pendulum Summoning :monster:

It's all hand traps, extenders, summoning combos and then repeat. LOL it's definitely something that would take someone not used to the game to get used to. I thought the game was far too accelerated and focused on FTKing back during the Zexal era, now you literally are going even faster than that, it's bonkers.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I fell in a YouTube hole researching up on the game and new summon mechanics and stuff. And Master Duel has a decent solo mode that teaches you a couple archetypes. But each one requires a LOT of time reading 40 card effects and thinking about how they work together.

Now I could still see picking one of the archetypes I like and really figuring out the deck, but that's not even it, because you also have to learn all the other archetypes so you know how to counter them and just...guff. lol

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Ngl, part of the reason I fell off from playing competitive YGO (aside from price of getting meta cards on release to compete) was that very reason. I have enough stress and responsibilities in life managing work and studies. Keeping track of rulings and then other decks like Artifacts, Kaiju, Zoodiacs, Psy Frames, and more... I ain't got time for that. :monster:

I am however content collecting, enjoying the anime I like, and whatever.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i think the 3ds free-to-play game had pendulum summons but ngl, i never understood how they worked. i think synchro was the most advanced i got in the duel links game (never played the physical game and gave my only card, a promo from a jump magazine, to mako)

but i did download master duel

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Even though I don't play the game as frequently as I used to it was never hard to keep track of the meta cards was never an issue since all of them have common traits (speciall summoning, effects, trigger conditions, etc) that they need to have in order to be meta in the first place, so learning even just one archtype you've virtually learned how other meta archtype works. If you play serious competitve YGO the amount of homework you have to do is not as big as you would believe because since competive YGO focuses on selective meta decks, the poll of viable of decks at most is just about 4 at a given format and as I said above they have common traits to be meta.

Yes, the speed of the game has been nuts (Yusei would be proud) and I FUCKING LOVE THAT!!

------

Lately I've been taking a look at older formats, in part for research but mainly for a bit of nostalgia and...there were some nasty bs, how could I've forgotten the infamous Yata-Garasu lockdown :wacky:? That's arguably the most broken play YGO has ever had in all its history.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I never played competitively, or even close. I just played with friends and watched the (first) show. It's a bit of a shame the game can't really facilitate that level of engagement, lol (which is fine, the hardcore meta players are the bread and butter, after all).
And I guess the lower ranks might be more like that, but I think I might just be an old that has to stick with Legacy of the Duelist :lol:

But also, like I said I really dig the graphics and music, and it led me to watching a lot of videos about things, so who knows.

Also Link Monsters have arrows lifted straight off of Tetra Master cards and that makes me laugh.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
5Ds is one of my favorite series. Literally loved this YGO gen so fucking much. It fucked up but when it aced, it aced hard.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
This person clearly read the manga, so I can't believe he and other people still think the cards and their effects are the same between the manga, anime and real life. They literally operate on an RPG/tabletop roleplay set of rules in Duelist Kingdom so trying to compare their abilities to their card effects in reality and the anime is like trying to determine the size of Midgar based on the measurements given in the OG.

It won't ever make sense :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
How do you lose summoning Numeronous Numerona???

My God... IT GOT ABSORBED WITH GATHERING LIGHT. HIPPO. LMFAO. OH NO.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
lol

i got someone who was taking ages on their turn drawing and discarding cards for over 5 minutes, i though i'd win when their deck ran out but then they summoned exodia.

someone else tried that on me a second time but i guess it didn't work out because they quit the game and i won, which i basically the only way i win: they surrender or get connection errors. pretty sure some have quit on me because i take ages reading the card descriptions for all the unfamiliar cards i see

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah I kinda hoped only the gold/platinum tiers or whatever would be full of the one-trick-pony decks and the lower levels would be more "normal" stuff. But alas...lol

Top Bottom