The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND! (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=12698)

X-SOLDIER 12/17/2017 05:38 PM

I'm loving reading all of these comments and speculations and such! Also, this piece is SO GODDAMN GOOD at weaving basically every single thread together from Star Wars:

YouTube Video

(SPOILER) 2:15 is when Luke goes to confront Kylo Ren

X :neo:

Lucis Caelum 12/17/2017 05:45 PM

Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Opens to Near-Record $220M in U.S., Hits $450M Globally

Addy Carver 12/18/2017 02:48 AM

Lawls, I read somewhere on FB yesterday that it had been received 'poorly' and fans were slating it. I hope whoever wrote that felt st00pid. :monster:

Anyway, I wanted to scribe my thoughts but I was in the bath on my phone so I've had to wait but I'll try to keep it brief because it's 2.05am and I have a full day at work ahead. :monster:

(SPOILER) Now this could well be me being pedantic, but there are several references to the Rebel ship being very low on fuel - during the end of the Canto Bight bit Rose actually says that the ship is running on fumes. This is because it's fuelling the escape shuttles, but before this it only has enough fuel to make one jump to hyperspace. How the fucking fuck did the Admiral jump to hyperspace when there was so little fuel that the shields were giving out? It's a minor quibble and I'm sure there's a valid answer out there (go on X :P) because overall the scene was amazing and the notion of the sacrifice of a few to save more was replayed several times in the film. I know lots of people didn't like certain elements of the film but I loved every minute, laughed a lot (Yoda was amazing and just typical Yoda, no attempt at making him into something else), loved that Luke had smuggled the Jedi texts on board the Millennium Falcon and couldn't take my eyes off the crystal foxes (FOXES. CRYSTAL ONES. DID I MENTION FOXES?). I loved that they're crystallised on a salt planet and the sounds of their movement were perfect. Very much a personal highlight there.

I wasn't so keen on Luke's astral projection, I actually thought he'd already snuffed it when he appeared and looked groomed, but the lack of a blue aura and the touching of Leia threw me. Also loved that Leia used the force casual as fuck in space when she should've been flailing like she was drowning, she just looked so serene. Skywalker dudes definitely have more volatility with the force. :monster:

IMHO I think that Rey will turn out to be far more important than Ben claimed - I think he was giving her a red herring to make her feel worthless and insignificant to try and subconsciously nudge her towards the dark side. The thing about her parentage in the dark cave was interesting because you don't know if that was Snoke's influence too.

Someone (probably X again) made a good comment about how the progression of the story will emphasise balance within the force and I reckon that's the right of it - did anyone else notice how the kid picked up the broom at the end? :D.
I wasn't impressed with Benicio del Toro being in it, Laura Dern got a pass because it was a one-shot role but IIRC you don't see the codebreaker die so he might well resurface. In a film series this big, well-known Hollywood names make me flinch a bit (I didn't like Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon, though Ewan McGregor brought young Obi-Wan to life very well. Christopher Lee as Count Dookie was crap, as was the fight with Yoda but I could rant for days about how lacking I, II and III were).

Mention has been made of the film feeling like it lacked direction and the Canto Bight bit being too long and ultimately pointless and I just want to address those too - there was plenty of character development as has been mentioned but to me it felt like a chess game - you can move the pieces back and forward tactically without actually progressing the game at all and you don't lose anything, but you have to weigh up the gains differently because there's no pieces being taken to show for it. /philosophy

As for the Canto Bight bit being pointless, well the group who came up with the plan weren't high-ranking, they felt powerless and like they had to do something before everything was lost, which is kind of a recurring theme with the Rebellion - Leia had literally just gotten the plans for the Death Star from a last-ditch mission that nobody survived, then got arrested and had to wait fucking aeons before the Rebellion could capitalise on the data. Anyway, it wasn't pointless because Finn stepped up, learned how not to run away, took out Phasma like a boss and still managed to escape a ship about to explode. Even if he and Rose did fuck it all up and fail, they still tried, because the alternative was clearly ending up like the poor folk on Canto at best and dead at worst. IMO that fail was what made him aim for the battering cannon with his speeder despite it costing him his life, he wanted to be a hero but it wouldn't have achieved anything which is why Rose crashed him out of range.

Anyway, I saw it on Thursday night and have been mulling it over since and I just can't agree with a lot of the criticisms, but I'm speaking as someone who has only seen the films rather than expanded universe stuff (I lost heart after Mara Jade) but I don't think Disney are fucking the franchise over at all, TFA, Rogue One and TLJ all feel much more like the original trilogy.

I also feel like I need to draw attention to the animals in the film because they're awesome. The porgs in the Millennium Falcon were particularly entertaining.
Vulptex https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...fox-social.jpg

Porgs https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/f...c&w=1242&h=995

Fathiers https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:s...b8d.jpg?mw=600

X-SOLDIER 12/18/2017 07:01 AM

On the note of user scores, there's a lot of trolling and bombing happening on sites, and this article covers it pretty well: http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-war...ak-1202228837/

(I plan on addressing some of Mage's awesome points tomorrow, 'cause I'm on the verge of falling asleep nao)

Doom Bunneh 12/18/2017 09:48 AM

So I don't really discuss much because I hate typing, but I'm gonna jump in here and answer a question because PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME! :D

So for Mage - (SPOILER) Star Wars ships have two separate engines and two separate fuel types for regular travel and hyperspace travel. So even with all the fuel in the transports, the Admiral still had the hyperspace fuel, which was useless to the transports as they don't have hyperspace engines.

TBH what actually bugged me a bit was that Leia didn't make the jump in the first place when Poe&Co where still making their bombing run - X-Wings, A-Wings, and B-Wings all have their own hyperdrive engines. Iguess they couldn't spare the fuel for the smaller ships? Dunno.

Shademp 12/18/2017 05:18 PM

I liked Episode 7. It left me with fuzzy Star Wars feelings, I was invested in the characters and I was looking forward to what was to come.

I did not enjoy Episode 8. I now feel no investment in the characters and I don't care what comes after. I feel very much "MEH".

looneymoon 12/18/2017 07:18 PM

(SPOILER) Not directed at anyone here : I think the fan hatred is overblown. It isn't a "terrible" or even "bad" film, and it certainly doesn't ruin the franchise.

That being said, I can't really blame people being disappointed. I can certainly see it being a letdown given the amount of hype with the new trilogy. I personally really like Star Wars, but I wouldn't count myself as a Star Wars nerd or anything. I think this is one of those cases where I'm glad I'm not holding onto the expectation of an instant classic whenever a new one comes out. It makes it easier to just like, be here for the ride, you know? So long as the characters maintain an internal logic (which was my biggest problem with the main 2 characters of Rogue One) and there's cool space fights and a vague mythos, I can fuck with what's presented.

X-SOLDIER 12/18/2017 08:17 PM

I can definitely see how the subversion of expectations has made it pretty rough for some folks based on what 8 COULD have been if it just naturally followed along the threads of 7. I don't begrudge that sort of feeling at all (which is where I think that Shademp seems to be coming from). Every one of the characters gets put through the ringer HARD in 8, and it can feel pretty bleak and disheartening, but I think that it gives a LOT to chew on in a way that sets up 9 to be really spectacular.

It definitely doesn't have the thrilling shiny new stuff feeling that 7 did, but I think that it'll feel a lot different to people after 9. 7 made me feel like a kid watching Star Wars again, and this VERY much didn't have that feeling, but had something different that I have been liking a lot in reflection. I'm gonna go see it again in about an hour (hooray for team activities at work), so I'll have lots more to say about second viewings later tonight.

Joe 12/18/2017 09:57 PM

Thoughts There was so much of this film I enjoyed and even loved. The subversion of expectations, the early Ren/Rey dynamic, Leia being fantastic, and my most favourite scene of Holdo's sacrifice and the lightspeed destruction of a star destroyer. Hnghhh.

There was also a lot of bullshit that took me riiiighhht out of the film altogether. The comedic and lighthearted moments amongst a pretty serious story felt stupid as hell, almost as if they were trying too hard to replicate the Marvel formula. The opening scene of bombs dropping in space (wtf), Finn and Rose about to get executed by Phasma only for her to make a dramatic entrance to the scene moments later after the big explosion, Finn somehow dragging Rose on a stretcher from the death star gun ALL THE WAY TO THE REBEL BASE in a matter of moments while our eyes are on Luke in front of the base.
There was a lot of this and it ended up spoiling a lot.

I would rate this film a 7.5 if I were being totally objective, but that lightspeed suicide ram scene was so fucking good I am bumping it up a point. 8.5

Chloe Frazer 12/18/2017 10:53 PM

In another case of some Star Wars fans completely overreacting there's a petition online for Disney to remove The Last Jedi from official canon

ForceStealer 12/18/2017 11:02 PM

Wow.

Doom Bunneh 12/18/2017 11:05 PM

Oh my fucking word.

You know, I really didn't enjoy TFA that much, and I wouldn't really want to rewatch it. This is only personal opinion, but to me TLJ makes me feel like I finally have a real Star Wars movie again (aside from RO which is still my favourite of the new ones so far :D ) and it feels like this actually fixed every problem I had with TFA.

So what the fuck do people want?!?!

Clement Rage 12/18/2017 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looneymoon (Post 772280)
(SPOILER) Not directed at anyone here : I think the fan hatred is overblown. It isn't a "terrible" or even "bad" film, and it certainly doesn't ruin the franchise.

That being said, I can't really blame people being disappointed. I can certainly see it being a letdown given the amount of hype with the new trilogy. I personally really like Star Wars, but I wouldn't count myself as a Star Wars nerd or anything. I think this is one of those cases where I'm glad I'm not holding onto the expectation of an instant classic whenever a new one comes out. It makes it easier to just like, be here for the ride, you know? So long as the characters maintain an internal logic (which was my biggest problem with the main 2 characters of Rogue One) and there's cool space fights and a vague mythos, I can fuck with what's presented.

It's Star Wars. The fan response is always overblown (ruining Jake Lloyd's life for no reason was the apex, I think.)

That said, I think there are more issues with this film than simple subverted expectations.

Rey/Kylo/Snoke was pretty good throughout. The rest of the plotting... had some problems, beyond 'this isn't what I wanted/expected'. IMO, anyway.

Flare 12/19/2017 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doom Bunneh (Post 772306)
Oh my fucking word.

You know, I really didn't enjoy TFA that much, and I wouldn't really want to rewatch it. This is only personal opinion, but to me TLJ makes me feel like I finally have a real Star Wars movie again (aside from RO which is still my favourite of the new ones so far :D ) and it feels like this actually fixed every problem I had with TFA.

So what the fuck do people want?!?!

I didnít care for TFA much either, so your post here makes me curious about this new one :monster:

Charles Xavier 12/19/2017 02:47 AM

Pfffffft, like as if THAT'S ever going to work.