The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND! (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=12698)

Alex Strife 10/30/2012 11:22 PM

"It's not like the new movies ruin the old ones. Those will continue to be there regardless".

Sounds to me like a lot of FF7 Compilation comments are applicable to this.

Charles Xavier 10/30/2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-SOLDIER (Post 472403)
More info:

YouTube Video

Some speculation:

This means that they COULD ACTUALLY RELEASE the original, unedited trilogy on BluRay.
Disney owns Pixar, Marvel, Square, AND Star Wars now, so there will now almost certainly be a Kingdom Hearts videogame where Darth Vader fights against/with Sephiroth.
Leia and Padme are now Disney Princesses.

They can't really do any worse at this point than Lucas, imo.

X :neo:

When you say Square, you mean Square-Enix? I highly doubt Disney owns that. Kingdom Hearts is merely a joint collaboration between the two companies. No?

Danseru-kun 10/30/2012 11:34 PM

I'm more thrilled to see the reaction of the die-hard SW fans. :wacky:

I love Star Wars and I really didn't hate the prequels, I don't think they were bad, only mediocre. I'll just wait and see and judge the new trilogy once I watch it.

Charles Xavier 10/31/2012 12:00 AM

And it appears that Mark Hamill isn't taking this recent news all too well. :D

(SPOILER)
YouTube Video

Edit: Guess I was right! Disney ARE going to push this all the way, claiming to make not only a new trilogy, but also to make a new Star Wars movie every 2/3 years. Wow...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney...210830937.html

X-SOLDIER 10/31/2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Xavier (Post 472411)
When you say Square, you mean Square-Enix? I highly doubt Disney owns that. Kingdom Hearts is merely a joint collaboration between the two companies. No?

Yeah, that's precisely what I meant. (I'm poasting at work while there're still supervisors here, which means that I tend to occasionally not double check my sentences). XD

Tetsujin 10/31/2012 12:43 AM

Someone should ask Peter Jackson if he feels like doing Star Wars when he wraps up the Hobbit. :awesome:

Danseru-kun 10/31/2012 12:49 AM

My gosh why did it take me so long to realize that Darth Vader isn't going to be in it in some way.

It's no Star Wars. :/

Literally Who? 10/31/2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danseru-kun (Post 472428)
My gosh why did it take me so long to realize that Darth Vader isn't going to be in it in some way.

It's no Star Wars. :/

That Robot pretending to be an Actor in the prequels was no Darth Vader :monster:

Theozilla 10/31/2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danseru-kun (Post 472412)
I'm more thrilled to see the reaction of the die-hard SW fans. :wacky:

I love Star Wars and I really didn't hate the prequels, I don't think they were bad, only mediocre. I'll just wait and see and judge the new trilogy once I watch it.

Same here, I personally never thought the prequels were bad, just mediocre/serviceable films (heck, I personally enjoy III as much IV).

Anyways as for the purchase itself, it is simply a good business decision, similar to Disney's purchase of Marvel. Disney gets to expand and diversify their consumer outreach and Lucasfilms properties get access to the resources of the #1 media company in the world. Also I don't see the existence of a VII film to be really anymore "blasphemous" than the existence of the Expanded Universe in comics, novels, and video games. Star Wars is a mega-franchise it would be bad business to actually ever try to "end" the franchise.
I do wonder what VII will be about though, is going to try to adapt stories from the EU? Or will it retcon it something original, or will it be something original that does not retcon anything?

LicoriceAllsorts 10/31/2012 02:15 AM

Can we just clear something up? Does Disney own Square-Enix? Yes/No.

The Man 10/31/2012 02:23 AM

No, they don't.

X-SOLDIER 10/31/2012 02:41 AM

Just throwing this in here: The best way to watch Star Wars is IV, V, II, III, VI.

It makes RotJ way, WAY better than it is without the two prequel films. It serves as an immediate flashback to the fall of Anakin, right after you learn about him & Luke, and gives you some background into who Vader is, as well as PLENTY of reason to fear the Emperor (while keeping both reveals TOTALLY intact). It also makes the gap between them rescuing Han seem more natural, and it actually seems like Luke's gonna fall to the Dark Side throughout the film.

Don't cry blasphemy 'til you try it.

That being said, I think that there's plenty of good stuff in the EXU to make films from, but I'm curious how things would continue and still be connected to the original films without some links with the original cast, if they're going to make "VII, VIII, & IX" and not just make "more Star Wars films".

Ghost X 10/31/2012 03:34 AM

I have no issue with replacing the actors who played the original cast, if those characters are required in the story.

X-SOLDIER 10/31/2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost X (Post 472440)
I have no issue with replacing the actors who played the original cast, if those characters are required in the story.

The big restraint that I've got about doing this would be that after seeing Palpatine in Episodes I-III, and VI it'd be odd having other actors playing the main continuing characters. The continuity of Star Wars feels pretty tight (though Ewan McGregor was a kickass young Obi-Wan Kenobi). If it really is Episodes VII-IX, everyone's older now, so it's still a possibility to have the original actors (plus we have the technology to anti-age them a bit if needed). It'd just be really weird having a non-Mark-Hamill Luke Skywalker, and a non-Harrison-Ford Han Solo - especially with all of the EXU content having their faces and being so used to seeing them.

I'm not saying I couldn't get over it if the films are good enough, but they'd have to have some pretty good reasons for why they'd do it.

Octo 10/31/2012 06:24 AM

Star Wars Episode Seven: Advent Children

1000 times no!

edit:lol ninjad by alex strife there.

Also jesus can we not learn the lessons of history? This is going to be mediocre at best. We can't have nice things anymore western popular culture is being sucked up it's own asshole.

/thesearetheendtimes

Owait am I being dramatic?:awesome: