The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND! (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=12698)

Hisako 10/31/2012 08:28 AM

Why don't they just go and do that goddamn TV series

Goddamnit already

Captain Jack Harkness 10/31/2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost X (Post 472400)
Saying "Do we really need another Star Wars movie?" is like saying "Do we really need the expanded universe?"

well, i think it's a bit different.
i can't remember the first time i watched SW, i know all the saga by heart and this september i've done the SW marathon with the film in english instead italian, so i think a can consider myself 'a good SW fan'.
but i haven't read a single story of the EU and i don't think it put my has a B-class fan.
for me it's easer ignore the EU than a new SW movie.
i'll go to watch the film when it will come out but i'll probably never read the EU (for different reason).

Cthulhu 10/31/2012 02:04 PM

I believe I linked to a wikipedia article back on page #1, which noted that Lucas hisself had four triologies (4 x 3 = 12) movies in mind back in the late 70's, of which six have been made so far. Just so you know, :monster:.

Also Ford could totally still do Solo. He could still do Jones a few years ago, after all :monster:.

Fangu 10/31/2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu (Post 472473)
I believe I linked to a wikipedia article back on page #1, which noted that Lucas hisself had four triologies (4 x 3 = 12) movies in mind back in the late 70's, of which six have been made so far. Just so you know, :monster:.

why would you even explain that, this is something everybody knows

if they don't, DID YOU GROW UP ON MARS

/ SW fan raeg

Cthulhu 10/31/2012 02:17 PM

As a matter of fact, I did, :monster:.

What, you have problems with Martians?

Dana Scully 10/31/2012 02:38 PM

As much as I love Harrison Ford, I'm also hoping that the new movie will star entirely new people. Maybe a cameo or two from the original actors but that's it.

The Man 10/31/2012 04:31 PM

Mark Hamill should have a cameo as the Joker.

Oh wait, wrong franchise. Too bad he's a DC character rather than a Marvel character.

The Pyro 10/31/2012 04:40 PM

Alternately, he could turn up as Fire Lord Ozai and set fire to space, what with proximity to all those stars and comets and the like powering up his bending... which he doesn't have.

Obsidian Fire 10/31/2012 05:52 PM

The problem with having the new movies set too far into the future with none of the old characters we know is that a lot of historical exposition will have to happen. It would run the risk of not even being SW, but being a completely new universe where everything goes by the same name as stuff did in SW. At least with the new trilogy there was enough people around who we knew or had heard of to convice us that this was in fact the SW universe.

The EU also presents the problem that parts of it have become almost as canon as the movies. Retconing the EU would probably make a lot of people cry foul and disconect them from the new movies.

Incedently, does anyone else like the novel of III better then the movie?

The Man 10/31/2012 05:53 PM

Never read it.

They could always just film parts of the EU. The Thrawn trilogy is practically begging to be made into films. The only problem is, how do you pare each book down to a 2.5h film? Would be better as a miniseries.

Also I should probably point out that the prequel trilogy also retconned portions of the EU, which is one of the reasons it sucked. The stuff the PT retconned was much more interesting than the PT itself.

Tetsujin 10/31/2012 07:57 PM

You know what I just realized?

The movies being owned and distributed by Disney would mean...no more 20th Century Fox fanfare before the movies.

RUINED FOREVER.

(seriously, that fanfare is kinda as much part of the movies as the iconic opening crawl and the Star Wars theme itself...it was even included on the original trilogy 2-disc soundtrack releases)

Ghost X 10/31/2012 08:35 PM

Disney are saying that it will be a completely new story unattached to the original. This gets my approval, if they mean same mythology, different everything else.

Octo 10/31/2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsujin (Post 472512)
You know what I just realized?

The movies being owned and distributed by Disney would mean...no more 20th Century Fox fanfare before the movies.

RUINED FOREVER.

(seriously, that fanfare is kinda as much part of the movies as the iconic opening crawl and the Star Wars theme itself...it was even included on the original trilogy 2-disc soundtrack releases)

Jesus...I never thought of that....

does this mean now its going to be:

YouTube Video

@_@

Tetsujin 10/31/2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someone named Octo (Post 472517)
Jesus...I never thought of that....

does this mean now its going to be:

YouTube Video

@_@

^ More like this:

YouTube Video

Charles Xavier 10/31/2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsujin (Post 472520)
^ More like this:

YouTube Video

Don't forget the Tie Fighters swopping by the castle.

Edit: I'm glad Disney's going to focus on a new batch of characters rather than the old ones. I think the entire story with Luke, Han, Leia and co. is complete and doesn't need any more development or progression. I say leave it be and start with a fresh new story, but in the same universe of course.

Hey, maybe that's what Disney should do if they ever come across making 'Toy Story 4'. Again, introduce a new batch of characters and leave Buzz, Woody etc. out of the limelight and/or give them little supporting roles. I think that's a fair compromise.