The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Final Fantasy VII (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Kotaku Article/Video on Translations (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=19905)

ForceStealer 09/01/2017 02:04 PM

Which does fit more with Aerith describing him as a bit of a playboy.

Theozilla 09/02/2017 08:56 PM

Now I am also curious if the dialogue you get with Zack's parents and Aerith in Gongaga is/was significantly different compared with the original Japanese? Especially since the English version has Zack's parents wondering if Aerith was the girlfriend Zack had written to them about 6-7 years ago and Aerith described her false hope of Zack still being alive was because he "found someone else".

EDIT:
Or perhaps the Easter egg letter in the International version of the the game is the first time they are reframed as a formal couple?
http://www.angelfire.com/super/ff7/zakletter.jpg

Also, would this mean that (besides the Ultimanias) The Maiden Who Travels the Planet (and Before Crisis?) was the first FFVII media before Crisis Core that revised/reframed Zack and Aerith's relationship as having been more serious/formally dating?

Shademp 09/02/2017 10:59 PM

For anyone not in the know, the letter from Zack to his parents can be found in the bonus disc that comes with "FFVII International", the Japanese re-release of FFVII. The letter can't be found and interacted with in the normal game. It is only there in the bonus disc.

http://i.imgur.com/B6GzGph.png

The Twilight Mexican 09/03/2017 04:33 PM

With regard to Zack's "P.S. I got a girlfriend" (P.S ガールフレンドができました) letter, there's no missing nuance I can see, either in the letter itself or the conversation with Zack's parents.

Channy 09/03/2017 09:20 PM

Wow, never heard of that letter before, thanks for bringing it up guys. Didn't realize he was a little more loose in the Jap version. Definitely enjoying these little videos.

Theozilla 09/03/2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Twilight Mexican (Post 761145)
With regard to Zack's "P.S. I got a girlfriend" (P.S ガールフレンドができました) letter, there's no missing nuance I can see, either in the letter itself or the conversation with Zack's parents.

Hmm, since I don't see any reason for the player to not assume that the "girlfriend" in Zack's letter and his parents's dialogue is supposed to be Aerith, would that then be an inconsistency in the writing when contrasted with the more accurate translation of Aerith's playground dialogue? Or should it be taken as evidence of Aerith's mourning process/coping with Zack's disappearance and is deliberately downplaying their relationship as part of that?

Shademp 09/03/2017 10:26 PM

My interpretation would be that while Zack and Aerith's relationship was originally more casual, Zack's playful/playboy attitude disguised his true feelings for Aerith which is then reflected in his letter to his parents. Given how confident Zack is, I can easily see him prematurely declaring Aerith "his girlfriend" even before the relationship officially reached that level. Zack would be the kind of guy to assume he had already won her over in that way.

That's one way of looking at it.

The Twilight Mexican 09/03/2017 10:36 PM

I suspect the latter, Theo. Zack found whatever their bond was worth writing home about.

There's not really an inconsistency in his behavior either. His lines in the truck don't start out as specific as the translation, no, but "Does every girl live with their parents?" is obviously still referring to Aerith. It's common in Japaense (hell, in English too) to speak in a broad sense when you're referring to someone specific.

X-SOLDIER 09/04/2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Channy (Post 761161)
Wow, never heard of that letter before, thanks for bringing it up guys. Didn't realize he was a little more loose in the Jap version. Definitely enjoying these little videos.

Enjoy! https://thelifestream.net/news/final...-guide-images/

X :neo:

Pixel 09/11/2017 08:08 PM

Unfortunately Kotaku only wants 2 more of these vids, so the next one will go through to the Kalm flashback. Then after that, at least up to Aerith's death. Obviously it will have to skim over a lot, but hopefully he can cover the most interesting stuff.

Lex 09/11/2017 09:54 PM

Kotaku nooooooo, make loads more >.<

ForceStealer 09/11/2017 11:17 PM

Booooooooo

Alex Strife 09/12/2017 11:32 PM

Oh c'mon!! *Rage*

ForceStealer 09/13/2017 05:57 PM

How much are they paying him for each one? :monster:

108 09/13/2017 08:43 PM

Hey hi everybody . . . it's me . . . the guy making these videos!!!!!!!

I have just finished chopping up hours and hours of footage for the fourth video (what I did was: I put a little cut on each dialogue box, so I can tab around through the script with ferocious speed).

It is true: The Management here at Kotaku just want two more videos, though they're both going to be pretty long.

So this fourth video is turning out to be sort of a nightmare! I love it. I think it is going to be almost thirty minutes long. Uh.

So it covers Wall Market, Shinra Tower, and the Kalm flashback, which are like . . . I'd have wanted to do like one twenty-minute episode about each of those :-/

I have a bunch of notes and I'm writing a script, with the goal being to record the script tomorrow and then begin laying in the footage and titles to match it.

So if there's anything in those segments that you think would be really good to cover, please let me know!! Wall Market is sort of a nightmare because it's like, I could do a whole two hours on Wall Market, though I've got to narrow it down to just a couple things. Like, I'm talking about how "Bubby" in Japanese is "bouzu". Man, I can get like five minutes out of that alone. I gotta be careful. Also I'm talking about the "protein drink set". Man, Wall Market is too full of stuff . . .

And, uh, Domino and "Hart" both having pizza-related names.

There's a lady in Shinra Tower who refers to herself as an "OL", which is translated as "secretary" in the English version, so I could talk about that . . .

There's a "XIII" as a single character in the Japanese name entry screen, just for naming Red XIII!

When Aerith says no one has ever seen Rufus "bleed or cry", in Japanese she says "I've heard he has neither blood nor tears", which is a tiny difference though I love the way it sounds.

Aerith calls Cloud "Nandemoyasan", not "bodyguard", a reference to how he had said, in the church, that he did "a little bit of everything".

In the Kalm flashback, Cloud's verb tenses keep getting weird in English . . . maybe that's not interesting, though.

Sephiroth keeps talking about "the geological stratum of 2,000 years ago", which is such a clunky phrase in English. Uh, maybe that's interesting?

At the end of the Kalm flashback, you get a "PHS", which is a type of old-school Japanese cell phone . . . I could talk about my friend who had a PHS until 2006, when I finally convinced her she to get a regular phone.

Anyway, yeah, I sure just showed up on your forum and started taking notes for my own dumb video. Uh, if anyone has any suggestions that'd be cool!!!!! Like I said, I have way too many ideas and I just gotta narrow it down to The Best Ones so that I don't go insane making a six-hour video . . .

Uh, yeah, also, hello!!!