The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Forum News & Information (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New site staff and Mod, TresDias/Squall_of_SeeD (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=3342)

The Man 11/09/2009 03:24 AM

Yeah I think I've only ever even seen Tres post in one thread other than this one so none of my posts here have anything to do with whether he'll be a capable staff member or not. I'm just utterly baffled at how staff came up with this selection, especially since there are plenty of other people who've been members of this board for vastly longer who have demonstrated the level head and ability to deal with members fairly that staffing a message board demands and post frequently outside the Final Fantasy sections. My issue is that staff picked someone most of the board doesn't even know who has less than 200 posts, while the highest poster by contrast has upwards of ten thousand. (Among veterans who are currently active I think Tennyo, Celes and Ninira all would've been worthy choices, and I'm sure I could come up with more if I bothered to think more than a few seconds)

Makoeyes987 11/09/2009 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Kliesen (Post 182835)
There are... a lot of members like that to be fair. And I don't think you need to necessarily love Final Fantasy/Know Japanese to be Mod/Admin. No offense to Tres... but I think there are people more deserving of his spot... you know? I see him posting a few times in pretty much the same section. . . Again, I'm not trying to take a stab at him- I think he's great. But it's still random. I like the Staff here- a lot. c: I didn't have many complaints for the official complaint thread. I really do just agree with the majority here that this seems out of the blue. Like Road (was that who?) said, 127 or whatever posts he has isn't really... enough.

You speak as if that were the only prerequisite evaluated. Considering the fact we wanted to find someone who would be more than capable of filling the qualifications, skills, and posting ability of the mod before (i.e. Schala) Tres was the member who fit the bill, while also exhibiting those traits in the first place. That was our decision and reasoning for doing it. Again, how does finding another individual who had the same qualifications, skills, positive attitude, and experience random?

Quote:

LOL. Alex posts a good amount, and his posts are pretty much awesome when he does. But I REALLY don't see Tres post often enough in more than the FF topics to be considered an Admin/Mod. The posts he does make are good, yeah, but I need to see more of them to really be convinced. Like I said, some people have been here for like, ever and have deserved the spot more than he does, imho.
Because its not just about post count when evaluating who can and can't be a mod. It's about quality, experience, and who the actual member is. I'd like to know where there was ever a post count requirement stated in regards to who got to be a mod here? And I didn't know we had people who deserved and were entitled to be a mod. I must've missed something.

Quote:

Well, it just seemed random to me. Read above, I guess. xD It's nice to have you actually explain it, though. I think knowledge of Japanese is kind of a lame reason... but of course, that helps with the obvious- translations. I just think there are a lot of 'level-headed' members that are saying that they are willing to work hard, contribute, and have been posting for ages and then suddenly Tres is modded? It seemed just kind of out there to me. I do see him post, just not that much. I haven't been here recently though, so has he been posting tons on the past like two or three days? :awesome: I look in pretty much all of the sections, even Graphics and Roleplay , though I don't participate them. (They're fun to vote in and to read) so... Well, I think it would be nice to have a Mod that didn't just hang around in one section.
Well thanks but that's your opinion. If we're looking for a member to fill the specific hole left behind by a previous staffer, and we find an experienced member who fills that space in every conceivable way possible and is qualified, then we're not going to let nepotism and popularity stop the person who's more qualified and the better choice stop us. That's the whole point of us exercising our judgment in the first place and evaluating how he works out.

Quote:

Yeah, Tenny for the win! Her posts are great, she's super sweet and intelligent, AND she posts in a lot of sections and frequently. She's been here for quite awhile too! That would have been an excellent choice, and not random at all.
She is an awesome member, and I don't disagree with that at all. But she wasn't the choice for filling in the hole we were looking to fill. That's your opinion and this was ours and the choice we made.

Dashell 11/09/2009 03:35 AM

Quote:

There are... a lot of members like that to be fair.
That's true, but you have to agree those qualities mean that person can be a good mod, right?

Quote:

And I don't think you need to necessarily love Final Fantasy/Know Japanese to be Mod/Admin.
Well I wasn't saying the Japanese thing... they have Ryu for that anyway :monster:

Quote:

Then... biased much?
Well I think if you were going to go with a mod who had those qualifications that they mentioned, and the choice was one who didn't know FF very much andone who DID know FF very well, I'd pick the one who knows FF and posts in the FF sections.

Quote:

LOL. Alex posts a good amount, and his posts are pretty much awesome when he does. But I REALLY don't see Tres post often enough in more than the FF topics to be considered an Admin/Mod.
But since when is high post count a qualification of being a mod?... I'd rather have a good mod with a low post count. And again it'd make sense to me to go with someone who worked in the FF section more than someone who didn't. High post count does not mean quality posts.

Maybe there would have been a ton of better choices, but I certainly don't think Tres would be the worst choice. And I do have to wonder, if they picked Tenyo, would people still be complaining?

Marauder 11/09/2009 03:46 AM

I see a lot of repetition. And that's all.

Dashell 11/09/2009 03:49 AM

Heh I was making my post around the same time Mako was... I'll probably just let him handle it anyway.

Makoeyes987 11/09/2009 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobos (Post 182850)
I see a lot of repetition. And that's all.

Probably because there's nothing else to it. What do you think happened in terms of us appointing him? You think he bribed us with hookers and Colombian blow, so that he could turn this entire site into a George W. Bush Sr. shrine, and then sell it to Rupert Murdock for some quick cash so he can move to Costa Rica and start a diet pill pyramid scheme?

Marauder 11/09/2009 03:50 AM

No, I'm talking about in general. Everyone on staff keeps reiterating the same condescending bullshit.

@Mako - maybe not that, but I do think he sucked some cock.

Celes Chere 11/09/2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Again, how does finding another individual who had the same qualifications, skills, positive attitude, and experience random?
I know, I know. Quality over quantity and all that, but this is how it seems random. There are people who have been here for a long time who are JUST as good as Tres (perhaps even better), and then for members to log on and just see "Oh hay Tres is a Mod guys!!"--- it just seems like a random selection, okay? :loopy: There are plenty of others with skills and positive attitudes and yet he, who is new to the site, is selected after only making 127 posts? That just doesn't make sense to me. Just because you know someone, doesn't mean they should automatically be made a Mod. Like... what about Aaron for instance? Tenny, like I said? What's wrong with them? Why does Tres post an essay or two, and just WIN? It's the fact that not a lot of members know him like you guys do, so they're kind of wondering who he is. Maybe if he had been here for more than a month or two (I could be exaggerating I'm not sure), members could have gotten to know him better so that the Mod isn't a mystery. O.o

Quote:

Well thanks but that's your opinion. If we're looking for a member to fill the specific hole left behind by a previous staffer, and we find an experienced member who fills that space in every conceivable way possible and is qualified, then we're not going to let nepotism and popularity stop the person who's more qualified and the better choice stop us. That's the whole point of us exercising our judgment in the first place and evaluating how he works out.
Well yeah, of course it's my opinion! And I'm not trying to say Tres is a bad choice, or that he won't be a great Mod. I'm just wondering why him over other members who have been here longer, and have proven their worth more than enough times that he is selected out of them? I respect the choice that was made, because Tres isn't a bad guy. I don't think he will do terrible, either. I just think it makes more sense to choose someone that members are familiar with, and have suggested themselves. It's not like members are stupid simply because they aren't Staff. :c

Quote:

And I do have to wonder, if they picked Tenyo, would people still be complaining?
I don't think ANYONE would be opposed to Tennyo. She's great.

NoenGaruth 11/09/2009 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako Eyes (Post 182843)
But she wasn't the choice for filling in the hole we were looking to fill.

Hehe...that sounds dirty :awesome:

Anyways I have to agree that Tres was a good choice, from what I've seen he's intelligent, polite and highly knowledgeable concerning FF7. Only flaw is I remember him saying he wouldnt mind a Denzel game which of course is herasy in these here parts. :monster:

Makoeyes987 11/09/2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Kliesen (Post 182856)
I know, I know. Quality over quantity and all that, but this is how it seems random. There are people who have been here for a long time who are JUST as good as Tres (perhaps even better), and then for members to log on and just see "Oh hay Tres is a Mod guys!!"--- it just seems like a random selection, okay? :loopy:

To think we'd take some guy off the street and appoint them as a mod, seems a bit ridiculous. I don't get why it's hard to understand we exercised our judgment in terms of finding someone to fill in the shoes left behind by a previous mod, and our choice was this member.

Quote:

There are plenty of others with skills and positive attitudes and yet he, who is new to the site, is selected after only making 127 posts? That just doesn't make sense to me.
Because moderator appointment isn't a matter of entitlement, post count, or popularity. I don't understand how that would even be seen as fair. That's not how we even do things, especially if we're looking for another mod to fill in the spot another mod left behind. If we want someone to fill in the skills and shoes left behind by one staff member, we're gonna go for someone who meets the bill, regardless of if they're popular, have a post count above 1,000, or not.

Quote:

Just because you know someone, doesn't mean they should automatically be made a Mod. Like... what about Aaron for instance? Tenny, like I said? What's wrong with them? Why does Tres post an essay or two, and just WIN? It's the fact that not a lot of members know him like you guys do, so they're kind of wondering who he is. Maybe if he had been here for more than a month or two (I could be exaggerating I'm not sure), members could have gotten to know him better so that the Mod isn't a mystery. O.o
Stop right there. The essays were not the deciding factor, and it'd be nice if you would stop bringing them up. It's been repeated numerous times all the way on the fourth page that was only part of the reason. Being a moderator isn't an entitlement. You've just refuted your own point. Just because you know someone, or they're popular, doesn't mean they should automatically be made a mod. We made our decision in terms of who we wanted it to be based on our criteria. We never made it about post count or popularity.

Quote:

Well yeah, of course it's my opinion! And I'm not trying to say Tres is a bad choice, or that he won't be a great Mod. I'm just wondering why him over other members who have been here longer, and have proven their worth more than enough times that he is selected out of them? I respect the choice that was made, because Tres isn't a bad guy. I don't think he will do terrible, either. I just think it makes more sense to choose someone that members are familiar with, and have suggested themselves. It's not like members are stupid simply because they aren't Staff. :c
I'll repeat the reason why then:

Quote:

Originally Posted by moi
Considering the fact we wanted to find someone who would be more than capable of filling the qualifications, skills, and posting ability of the mod before (i.e. Schala) Tres was the member who fit the bill, while also exhibiting those traits in the first place. That was our decision and reasoning for doing it. Again, how does finding another individual who had the same qualifications, skills, positive attitude, and experience random?

So there's the reason, in a nutshell.

Alex 11/09/2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

High post count does not mean quality posts.
In my case it does, thats why I have so many thanks.

Dashell 11/09/2009 04:04 AM

I'm not going to address you entire post since it's all been addressed all ready but

Quote:

Why does Tres post an essay or two, and just WIN?
It wasn't a contest XD
and people REALLY need to stop thinking his essays were why he was modded.

And I do agree that Tenyo or Aaron would have made good mods, but they didn't get the job. Tres did :P And that's... really all there is to it :(

No one complained when I modded him at TNC... of course I only had like 5 people to choose from :monster:

Marauder 11/09/2009 04:05 AM

Obviously we're proposing a popularity contest guys, let's get down to it!

Ryushikaze 11/09/2009 04:06 AM

@Aaron: You took a facetious rephrase a bit too literally, but yes, there have been numerous posts that have been said here, that elsewhere would be seen as blatant flames and grounds for suspension and banning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermione Granger (Post 182127)
Oh fantastic, more staff who have no experience working with the common forum user.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobos (Post 182352)
Or maybe we can all just act like bestest friends, suck up the staff, and be part of a hunky dory internet forum! Right!? DO I GET A GOLD STAR NAO!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Weasley (Post 182485)
She didn't submit her essay on time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermione Granger (Post 182487)
Yes, I thought Tennyo would have made an awesome mod.

SE WILL CRUSH YOU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Weasley (Post 182489)
Tennyo would be a fail mod, she can't even speak Japanese. I mean, ffs how is somebody that incompetent supposed to relate to the sizeable and influential hardline nationalist Japanese bloc of TLS members.

I mean really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Train (Post 182579)
Then what is the point of you interjecting yourself as the center of attention and contention then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood (Post 182593)
well, it's not like you know Japanese or write essays or anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Weasley (Post 182773)
I think staff didn't appoint Tennyo because she was a woman and they're a group of sexist cowboys on a power trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ⓐaron (Post 182783)
Really now, you're expecting a staff whose most active admin flames in virtually every fifth post he makes to enforce no-flaming rules?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Weasley (Post 182784)
It's because they don't like you, it means they'll be on your back more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Weasley (Post 182790)
That well-respected, reknowned problem solving think tank that we all trust to not cock things up?

:monster:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermione Granger (Post 182797)
OMG MOG, you're really setting a good example for staff responding to members' criticisms and opinions.
Good lord, I wish every staffer were as intuitive and eloquent as you.

And fresh out of the oven, this lovely example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobos (Post 182854)
No, I'm talking about in general. Everyone on staff keeps reiterating the same condescending bullshit.

@Mako - maybe not that, but I do think he sucked some cock.

I mean, if you people WANT us to be more heavy handed, I can go infract most of those, and you can complain about the tyranny instead for a change.

Marauder 11/09/2009 04:08 AM

MASSIVE EGO BOOST IS GO.

btw, none of those are flames. Good job :monster: