The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Forum News & Information (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New site staff and Mod, TresDias/Squall_of_SeeD (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=3342)

Makoeyes987 11/09/2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ⓐaron (Post 182900)
She didn't say he's not deserving. She asked how he was more deserving than other candidates listed. To which staff's answer is apparently, "He knows Japanese, lol."

If you think that was the only reason he was appointed then you have missed the point.

Quote:

For the record, I don't want to join this staff. If a number of changes were made in the staff roster I might consider it, but honestly I quit from FFR where I still like everyone because I don't care about Final Fantasy enough to bother staffing a board based around it, so I probably wouldn't staff here either even if I did agree with everything the staff were doing.
Okay.

Quote:

Why is "I don't know him" not a valid base argument? To perform staff duties effectively, a member needs rapport with members. A two-month-old member can't just come in and hand out infractions to people who have been there since the beginning of the forum. It'd be seen as a joke and widely lambasted. If a person is to be taken seriously enforcing the rules, he already needs to be respected by the community, or else his decisions are going to be constantly questioned. Not that this staff doesn't do a good enough job getting itself questioned with the people who had already been on staff, but really, do you need to add to your work load? Seriously.
Because that's based entirely on popularity, and if the only members who can be staff are those that are popular and well known to others, then that just makes the position a glorified popularity puppet position. It doesn't matter how long the member's been here or how popular they are. If you can't accept and respect enforcement of the forum's rules, regardless of who the person is in the position to respectfully and fairly shepherd and ensure compliance with said rules, then there's a problem. A police officer fresh out of the academy and new to a precinct where they've never lived before is to at least be acknowledged and respected in the position they're in because they're fulfilling their duty, regardless of how green they are.

The Man 11/09/2009 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quexinos (Post 182903)
aahh well in that case, I don't have the specific answer obviously, but I am surprised so many people are objecting. I was under the impression that everyone really liked this guy...

Everyone who knows him, maybe. Meanwhile there are plenty of people who've been here since the start of the forum or shortly thereafter who don't know him. That's the issue. The only time I've seen him post outside this thread was the V for Vendetta thread, and to be quite honest, his first couple of posts weren't the best first impression. Though he improved after that.

Quote:

I understand, but just wow, I think this is being blown out of proportion. It's not like Tres is the worst choice they could have made. could they have done better? Yeah probably, but they also could have done a lot worse.
Yeah, they could have done worse. They could have staffed Vendel. But let's face it, staffing a relative unknown is still a pretty bad decision no matter how nice, level-headed, and Japanese-knowing a member is.

Marauder 11/09/2009 05:00 AM

As far as I'm concerned, they may as well have staffed Vendel. At least then no one would have asked questions and they (the staff) could've gone on with their fingers blissfully up their asses.

The Man 11/09/2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako Eyes (Post 182906)
If you think that was the only reason he was appointed then you have missed the point.

Or maybe you just haven't expressed the point. You explicitly said that he was staffed because he was the one candidate who could fulfil all of the traits Schala managed. The only trait that distinguishes Tres from other individuals mentioned in this thread is his knowledge of Japanese, therefore simple deductive reasoning fills in the rest.

Quote:

Because that's based entirely on popularity
No, it really isn't. Rapport and popularity are two completely different things. Rapport just means a person gets along with everyone. Which a person who's completely unknown can't do.

Quote:

If you can't accept and respect enforcement of the forum's rules, regardless of who the person is in the position to respectfully and fairly shepherd and ensure compliance with said rules, then there's a problem. A police officer fresh out of the academy and new to a precinct where they've never lived before is to at least be acknowledged and respected in the position they're in because they're fulfilling their duty, regardless of how green they are.
You guys aren't a police force, and the fact that you're taking yourselves so seriously as to think your rules honestly deserve the same respect as the law explains a large part of what's wrong with this place. This is a message board. That's all.

Celes Chere 11/09/2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

I was under the impression that everyone really liked this guy...
You I love you but..... RAGE. :rage: We've all said we like Tres JUST FINE! -rips hair out-

Dashell 11/09/2009 05:01 AM

... I can pretty much guarantee I would have asked questions if Vendel had been modded. Namely, "What are you fucking smoking?"

Quote:

You I love you but..... RAGE. :rage: We've all said we like Tres JUST FINE! -rips hair out-
Lol I mean everyone as in... well EVERYONE. I'm not saying anyone doesn't like him. I mean I was under the impression he was totally famous. So this surprised me.

Makoeyes987 11/09/2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ⓐaron (Post 182905)
Way to go attacking a number of straw men. I specifically asked what made Tres more qualified than other candidates mentioned who already have rapport. You completely dodged the issue. Apparently, it's because he knows Japanese.

No, you're basically asking, "why don't you agree with me?" Because, I don't. For one, there's no entitlement check here. Number two, our experiences with SoS and how we've known him as staff, is what had us base our judgment in appointing him here. What part of that do you not understand? Way to go at assuming he just walked in here, and we appointed him mod cause of his Japanese skills. The fact we wanted someone new to the staff with fresh ideas, a positive attitude, and experience doesn't seem to be sticking here.

Quote:

No one ever argued staff were ones to instantly ban, suspend, or be apt to hostility towards humour or criticism. However, I note that no one who is currently on staff has ever expressed criticism of the staff, and I consider that to be very suspicious.
Umm, that is blatantly false. We've had numerous arguments between other staff members on various opinions and shit on policy. Road, MOG, Yop, and others have gotten into heated debates on how we've done things.

Marauder 11/09/2009 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quexinos (Post 182913)
... I can pretty much guarantee I would have asked questions if Vendel had been modded. Namely, "What are you fucking smoking?"

I would've chalked it up to the staff just being the staff, really.

The Man 11/09/2009 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako Eyes (Post 182914)
No, you're basically asking, "why don't you agree with me?"

No, I'm not. Don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:

Because, I don't. For one, there's no entitlement check here.
I never said there should be. I simply said a staff member should already be well known to the member base.

Quote:

Number two, our experiences with SoS and how we've known him as staff, is what had us base our judgment in appointing him here. What part of that do you not understand? Way to go at assuming he just walked in here, and we appointed him mod cause of his Japanese skills.
I'm sorry, but that's the only trait you've mentioned that distinguishes him from other candidates.

Quote:

The fact we wanted someone new to the staff with fresh ideas, a positive attitude, and experience doesn't seem to be sticking here.
Celes, Tennyo, and Ninira all have fresh ideas, a positive attitude, and experience. So you still haven't answered what distinguishes Tres from the other candidates mentioned.

Quote:

Umm, that is blatantly false. We've had numerous arguments between other staff members on various opinions and shit on policy. Road, MOG, Yop, and others have gotten into heated debates on how we've done things.
Yes but none of them had started criticising the staff before they were appointed to it, so you haven't actually countered my point.

Makoeyes987 11/09/2009 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ⓐaron (Post 182911)
Or maybe you just haven't expressed the point. You explicitly said that he was staffed because he was the one candidate who could fulfil all of the traits Schala managed. The only trait that distinguishes Tres from other individuals mentioned in this thread is his knowledge of Japanese, therefore simple deductive reasoning fills in the rest.

If it was just about having a mod who knew Japanese, I could find a friend of mine who knows Japanese, have them register, appoint them mod, and be done with it. I'm sorry, but no. Him knowing Japanese isn't even the point. We're looking at the whole picture, and I'm sorry, but you keep coming back to other members here, when that's irrelevant. No one's entitled. If we want someone with those qualifications, who we've known before to be a positive, level headed and mature member, who also is fresh to the community in terms of ideas and experience, we're gonna go with who we see as exemplifying those traits.

Quote:

No, it really isn't. Rapport and popularity are two completely different things. Rapport just means a person gets along with everyone. Which a person who's completely unknown can't do.
He can if people give him a chance, and he presents himself in a courteous, kind, and professional manner, all of which he's shown himself capable of doing, and is doing.

Quote:

You guys aren't a police force, and the fact that you're taking yourselves so seriously as to think your rules honestly deserve the same respect as the law explains a large part of what's wrong with this place. This is a message board. That's all.
You took a simple analogy and blew it out of proportion....

No we don't think of ourselves as a police force. We don't have a fucking subforum jail we throw you in to post in to state your case and justify your membership here. But the fact is, is that we are in place to enforce the forum rules here. Which police officers in a simliar vein...enforce the rules of society. Not that big of a stretch. Way to go at assuming an unwarranted sense of authority and importance for our positions here.

Cat Rage Room 11/09/2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Yes but I note that none of them had started criticising the staff before they were appointed to it.
There were no staff before we were appointed, dude. We were not only the first Staffers, but the very first members as well!

The Man 11/09/2009 05:10 AM

That... doesn't really counter my point dude. Staff have never appointed someone with a history of dissenting with their decisions.

Makoeyes987 11/09/2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ⓐaron (Post 182916)
No, I'm not. Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm making a summation of what I feel our disagreement is.

Quote:

I never said there should be. I simply said a staff member should already be well known to the member base.
I disagree to a point, here. Tres isn't a faceless automaton here, and he's just as qualified as anyone else here and will be known as he acts as a member here. There is no reason at all they can't get to know him now.

Quote:

I'm sorry, but that's the only trait you've mentioned that distinguishes him from other candidates.
The fact he's an individual several staffers are familiar with, accept, and feel confidence in, doesn't distinguish him at all?

Quote:

Celes, Tennyo, and Ninira all have fresh ideas, a positive attitude, and experience. So you still haven't answered what distinguishes Tres from the other candidates mentioned.
Fresh as in, he hasn't been apart of this particular forum and we'd like someone new to add to our bunch as well. That's not the same thing.

Quote:

Yes but I note that none of them had started criticising the staff before they were appointed to it. Apparently my point has once again flown directly over your head.
So what? The fact we have several members on staff with differing viewpoints and opinions isn't lost at all because of that. You're tying unrelated points together now.

Marauder 11/09/2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ⓐaron (Post 182919)
That... doesn't really counter my point dude. Staff have never appointed someone with a history of dissenting with their decisions.

Liek me, there's just no way man! :monster:

There's a moral here, boys and girls. If the staff like you, you can be a mod.

Makoeyes987 11/09/2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ⓐaron (Post 182919)

That's irrelevant, because again, that doesn't negate the fact that staff are not a bunch of "yes men" in the least. Case in point, Road's hesitation of appointing the guy in the first place.