The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Gaming (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Sonic the Hedgehog (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=1237)

ForceStealer 04/27/2009 08:05 PM

Sonic the Hedgehog
 
Any love for the blue hedgehog here? Growing up I always had a Sega, never a Nintendo, so I've got long history with him. I own all his games on the Genesis and have played most of them in some fashion. This topic is more about the series (and its cloudy future) more than any particular title, though gushing is acceptable.

For example, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the series peak and among my favorite platformers, if not games in general, ever.
Sonic games were never difficult, but every level has so many paths and alternate routes that you could spend a good deal of time on each level exploring all of them. And S3&K had not seven emeralds to find but fourteen. Rewarding you with the badass Doomsday Zone.
The music is, in short, awesome. Mario's theme may be the iconic chiptune notes of the video game realm. But the memorable tracks from Mario pale in comparison to the sheer amount of great songs in Sonic games. Nearly EVERY level of every Sonic game on the Genesis has very catchy music, though Green Hill Zone is the only one that gets any mass attention.

Lastly, the part that I mostly want everyone's opinion on, is the future. What do you think? I often hear 'Sonic is dead' but that doesn't really compute because he's still an incredibly recognizable character and his fanboys alone keep the sales of even his shittiest games decent. In short, Sega has pretty much unlimited chances to get it right and they keep screwing it up, why? To this people say that those very fanboys buyign the crappy games don't give any motivation for Sega to get it right. But there's no way, the fanboys make the sales decent, but not the smash hits they used to be. Also, Sonic is Sega's mascot. They can't like that the wider game community merely ridicules him now. They still have every motivation to get it right.

One is that they are OBSESSED with new gameplay mechanics. They seem convinced that Sonc's fall from grace has to do with people becoming bored of speeding through imaginative, multi-path levels when quite the opposite is true: people long for it. Sonic Unleashed (the latest game, which I did not buy, but have played) is the perfect example. Why does Sonic need inane combat? Even if it were intuitive combat, it still wouldn't fit.

Another thing I hear often that I also don't agree with is that the very of nature of Sonic prevents a good 3D Sonic game from being made. That's stupid as I (and many other people) enjoyed the Sonic Adventure games. Everything about that that was good is absent from more recent entries, why?
Also, I again come back to Sonic Unleashed. Have any of you played it? The speed levels are AWESOME. They are EXACTLY what a 3D Sonic game should be. Fast and totally satisfying. If they ditched that Werehog shit and just made a game of that, one level to the next, just like the old ones, I think it would be hugely successful. (Although it would require quite the marketing campaign to say "Hey! Sonic doesn't suck anymore!")

Do you think Sega will ever get the hint?

Max Payne 04/27/2009 08:09 PM

I fucking love sonic.

Which why I sish they'd stop killing him. Sonic Unleashed is the only decent sonic game in a very long time.

Celes Chere 04/27/2009 08:13 PM

I LOVE Sonic, both the old game, and the old show. The new games and shows are just retarded. I hate Shadow, and Silver, and all those other new characters. D<

Amy is also fucking annoying. What about Sally?! D=

ForceStealer 04/27/2009 08:17 PM

I don't mind Shadow for one reason: he plays identically to Sonic. In the old ones, there were very minimal differences between playing as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles. In that sense, making Shadow a playable character is perfectly fine by me because you're still playing Sonic, basically. And, I must admit, the way he skates on the rockets IS kinda cool.

I wholeheartedly agree about the stupid stories though.

And what about Sally indeed. I just downloaded that show which is what made me create this topic. If they insist on shoving all these damn characters on us, why not use those? At least people liked them.

Tetsujin 04/27/2009 08:38 PM

I wish they'd stop making shitty games and adding stuff that just isn't necessary. It's unbelieveable. It just doesn't get to their heads that people just want the old-school Sonic gameplay by now.

Sonic as a slow Wolfhog? Sonic with a sword? What's with this faggotry, be gone with it, I say. :monster:

Munatik 04/27/2009 08:40 PM

Much love for the blue guy here! I played the shit out of Sonic the Hedgehog up until 3D Blast, and I even recall Spinball rather fondly. I think I enjoyed Sonic 3 and SnK the most because as you mentioned, there was a lot more replayability involved, such as going through Sonic 2 as Knuckles, and the expanded 2-player options.

And ditto for the music--I still listen to original tracks and remakes! Marble Zone, Metropolis Zone, and Hydrocity Zone are some of my faves.

I had an SNES as well during that time, but I'm sure I invested as much time in Sonic as I did in Mario games and Link to the Past. But unlike Mario and Zelda, some very popular titles had a difficult time moving from 2D to 3D, and Sonic was definitely one of them. I can't fathom either why the franchise didn't see as much popular success, but truthfully, I didn't enjoy 3D Blast as much as the games up until then. I think on that cusp between 16-bit and 32/64-bit era is when my interest in Sonic started to wane. I tried Sonic again sometime later with Sonic Heroes, but again I was disappointed. I haven't played Unleashed, but I think I agree with you when you say that Sonic simply does not translate well to 3D. The very characteristic that defines him--speed--has been difficult for Sega to marry with decent control.

Needless to say, I'd love love love to see Sonic reemerge as an iconic protagonist, however, as a star in a game that is simply a "must have".

Tetsujin 04/27/2009 08:44 PM

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still the best Sonic game ever, imo.

Oh, the good old Mega Drive age...

ForceStealer 04/27/2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munatik (Post 61051)
I can't fathom either why the franchise didn't see as much popular success, but truthfully, I didn't enjoy 3D Blast as much as the games up until then. I think on that cusp between 16-bit and 32/64-bit era is when my interest in Sonic started to wane. I tried Sonic again sometime later with Sonic Heroes, but again I was disappointed. I haven't played Unleashed, but I think I agree with you when you say that Sonic simply does not translate well to 3D.

You kind of got what I said a little backwards. I think Sonic can and has translated well to 3D, Sega just can't seem to do it consistently. I spent just as much time with Sonic Adventure as I did with Mario 64, it translated fine to 3D then. They're just obsessed with new gameplay mechanics which are a waste of time. (Although the next-gen Sonic was just plain broken)

And you really can't count Sonic 3D Blast because it wasn't 3D. It was just isometric and that kinda looked 3D.

firehahahahahaha 04/27/2009 09:59 PM

I've always loved sonic ever since the genisis days. Def. one of my favorite video game franchises ever.

Munatik 04/28/2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForceStealer (Post 61071)
You kind of got what I said a little backwards. I think Sonic can and has translated well to 3D, Sega just can't seem to do it consistently. I spent just as much time with Sonic Adventure as I did with Mario 64, it translated fine to 3D then. They're just obsessed with new gameplay mechanics which are a waste of time. (Although the next-gen Sonic was just plain broken)

Ah, my bad then. I think we agree on the consistently part, though.

Quote:

And you really can't count Sonic 3D Blast because it wasn't 3D. It was just isometric and that kinda looked 3D.
True, but it certainly wasn't the side-scrolling awesomeness that I had come to love.

Username 04/28/2009 12:56 AM

I haven't played any of the new sonic games, i just have the dusty sega Gen games, but imo they will always be the best. They should just make the new games like the old but a lot longer and more challenging.

Alex 04/28/2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsujin (Post 61053)
Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still the best Sonic game ever, imo.

.

Agreed. Absolutely 100% behind this. Everything about that game was fucking perfect.

Celes Chere 04/28/2009 02:01 AM

Quote:

I don't mind Shadow for one reason: he plays identically to Sonic. In the old ones, there were very minimal differences between playing as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles. In that sense, making Shadow a playable character is perfectly fine by me because you're still playing Sonic, basically. And, I must admit, the way he skates on the rockets IS kinda cool.

I wholeheartedly agree about the stupid stories though.

And what about Sally indeed. I just downloaded that show which is what made me create this topic. If they insist on shoving all these damn characters on us, why not use those? At least people liked them.
Thank you! I totally agree, all of my other friends that are Sonic fans are actually into this new crap. >=/ They think Shadow is "way better", but I agree it's basically a "bamf" looking version of Sonic. His only purpose is to look cool, but I think he looks like a fuzzy piece of crap.

Sally and Sonic were like, the best pairing ever. ;) Sally was an interesting character that had BRAINS, Amy is just obnoxious and is one of the many things that gives the color pink a bad name. I do love her giant mallet though- it's cute. When you hit things, little hearts pop out... I'm not sure if that sickens me or not, lol.

Super Mario 04/28/2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsujin (Post 61049)

Sonic as a slow Wolfhog? Sonic with a sword? What's with this faggotry, be gone with it, I say. :monster:


THIS.


I miss that old Sonic in the Sega where we just have to run and not wield some faggot sword, be a furry wolf and save a whiny princess who looks like some shit out of an animu series or RPG.

Shadow to me is quite possibly the only good newb to come out of the story, the rest of the n00bs can just die in an epic reboot.

Alex 04/28/2009 08:43 AM

No. Shadow is a shitty recolour with a generic 'tragic past', Sega needs to l2keep it simple.

Super Mario 04/28/2009 08:44 AM

But I like his colour though. Him and Knuckles remain my consistent faves. : (
I hear they're going with an RPG shit now in the DS. fffffuck.

Tetsujin 04/28/2009 10:06 AM

Also, I was playing Sonic Unleashed on PS2, and there were a shitload of tutorial levels for like, every single action. The first tutorial level literally told you just how to jump. "Press Blah to jump" so you had to jump over like, 3 stairs or something and the level was over. The loading time for those sort of tutorials was longer than the levels themselves.

For fucks sake, I didn't need a shitty tutorial level back in the 16-bit times JUST TO TELL ME HOW TO JUMP.
Back then it was like, you put the game in and then you play. Simple and easy. But fun.

The new stuff....just fails. Seriously, I want them to pull a Capcom and release a new game over PSN, WiiWare etc and do it retro-style. Mega Drive graphics and gameplay ftw!

Cloudskye 04/28/2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelesChere (Post 61021)
I LOVE Sonic, both the old game, and the old show. The new games and shows are just retarded. I hate Shadow, and Silver, and all those other new characters. D<

Amy is also fucking annoying. What about Sally?! D=

Sonic and Shadow are epic. But Tails is better. And the shows ARE gay.

Amy is annoying.

Alex 04/28/2009 12:20 PM

The only thing epic about Shadow is his epic lame.

Super Mario 04/28/2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsujin (Post 61569)
Also, I was playing Sonic Unleashed on PS2, and there were a shitload of tutorial levels for like, every single action. The first tutorial level literally told you just how to jump. "Press Blah to jump" so you had to jump over like, 3 stairs or something and the level was over. The loading time for those sort of tutorials was longer than the levels themselves.

For fucks sake, I didn't need a shitty tutorial level back in the 16-bit times JUST TO TELL ME HOW TO JUMP.
Back then it was like, you put the game in and then you play. Simple and easy. But fun.

The new stuff....just fails. Seriously, I want them to pull a Capcom and release a new game over PSN, WiiWare etc and do it retro-style. Mega Drive graphics and gameplay ftw!

only thing annoying about Unleashed is that newbie, christ what a fag.

ForceStealer 04/28/2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsujin (Post 61569)
The new stuff....just fails. Seriously, I want them to pull a Capcom and release a new game over PSN, WiiWare etc and do it retro-style. Mega Drive graphics and gameplay ftw!

That would be fun and all, but still want a good 3D one. Give me a game of all Sonic Unleashed speed levels, because they were really really good.

firehahahahahaha 04/28/2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsujin (Post 61569)
Also, I was playing Sonic Unleashed on PS2, and there were a shitload of tutorial levels for like, every single action. The first tutorial level literally told you just how to jump. "Press Blah to jump" so you had to jump over like, 3 stairs or something and the level was over. The loading time for those sort of tutorials was longer than the levels themselves.

For fucks sake, I didn't need a shitty tutorial level back in the 16-bit times JUST TO TELL ME HOW TO JUMP.
Back then it was like, you put the game in and then you play. Simple and easy. But fun.

The new stuff....just fails. Seriously, I want them to pull a Capcom and release a new game over PSN, WiiWare etc and do it retro-style. Mega Drive graphics and gameplay ftw!

Why would you get the PS2 version? it's terrible.

And has anyone gotten "Sonic's Ultimate Genisis Collection"?

Tetsujin 04/28/2009 02:41 PM

Well, my brother bought it and brought it over. :monster:

Tbh, Unleashed would be good if they just took out the FUCKING WOLFHOG.

And yes, I'm not calling it werehog because that would essentially translate to "man-hog" (as in, a man that transforms into a hedgehog. Yeah, right). [/smartass] :geek:

Makoeyes987 04/28/2009 04:31 PM

Sonic is dead.

I think the only good 3D games Sonic has ever had was Sonic Adventure, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and for pity's sake, I'll include Sonic Unleashed.

And that's ranked from best to worst. To quote Resident Evil, "Sonic is now a mere shadow of his former self."

Tetsujin 04/28/2009 04:33 PM

I really can't understand how Sega managed to rape their own mascot.

Sonic was my hero, man. D'=

Super Mario 04/28/2009 05:48 PM

Because of shitty plots, voice acting of the lowest caliber, and inclusion of alot of shitty characters.











And they lack the BISON spirit to give it a good name.

SutekiMitsukai 04/28/2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Joker (Post 61526)
I miss that old Sonic in the Sega where we just have to run and not wield some faggot sword, be a furry wolf and save a whiny princess who looks like some shit out of an animu series or RPG.

Shadow to me is quite possibly the only good newb to come out of the story, the rest of the n00bs can just die in an epic reboot.

I concer with Shadow. He's the only good newbie to have come out in the game. All the rest aren't even worth remembering the names of.

I didn't like the Shadow the Hedgehog game though. I still haven't completed it because I think you have to do every kind of story line you can do. I don't wanna play the same damn levels over and over forever.

I did like the Sonic Adventure games though. Especially when the choa were introduced and you could take care of them and breed and raise. It's kind of like Pokemon only you race and do karate...don't battle. lol

Alex 04/28/2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

I didn't like the Shadow the Hedgehog game though
Yeah and I bet you didn't like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for the same reason amirite? :wackymonster:

SutekiMitsukai 04/28/2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashes (Post 61951)
Yeah and I bet you didn't like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for the same reason amirite? :wackymonster:

Absolutely correct. Damn I wish I was as smart as you. :(

Alex 04/28/2009 07:40 PM

Don't worry, everybody feels that way at one point or another :)

About both parts of that post

:hugeblackmonster:

ForceStealer 04/28/2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako Eyes (Post 61685)
Sonic is dead.

But he isn't dead for the reasons I stated in my post. Not to mention the good 2D games he still gets (Sonic Advance series, Sonic Rush was awesome)

Additionally, it would be SO EASY to bring him back in 3D. As I said, just make a game of NOTHING but levels a la Unleashed's speed levels. No story, no voice acting, no new gameplay mechanics, nothing! Just Sonic running through gorgeous 3D environments with great music (The other thing that Unleashed got right)

Makoeyes987 04/28/2009 10:00 PM

Sonic needs to make like Mario and just DO THE SAME FUCKING THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

If it's not broked don't fix it. :monster:

They try too fucking hard to be "new" and "innovative" and they just fail hard. Mario is still good and awesome because they know what fucking works and stay true to it. They add new things but don't lose the core fundamental nature of Mario.

Namely platforming, and jumping on things and shit.

Why Sonic can't just stay true to his roots and stick with them is beyond me. They're hurting him so much.

Tetsujin 04/28/2009 10:16 PM

In some cases, innovation is good. It certainly helped RE4.

But RE was really getting old. Good old Jump'n'runs like Mario and Sonic work best the way they are.

Max Payne 05/10/2009 02:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq-CPgj2Tc

An entire Sonic game just like this would be perfect.

Max Payne 05/10/2009 02:35 AM

Hell even like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNrlp...eature=related

Tetsujin 05/10/2009 10:45 AM

I agree. :monster:

Cthulhu 05/10/2009 11:01 AM

That seems to be Sonic in 3D done right.

Tetsujin 05/10/2009 11:02 AM

Which was fucked up by adding the Wolfhog. :monster:

Cthulhu 05/10/2009 11:06 AM

Plus the rest, third-person perspective and whatnot. But then, I haven't played Sonic like, evar, perhaps a few minutes on an emulator.

Super Mario 05/10/2009 11:09 AM

Be gone with the storyline nonsense and put those in the game. Hell even boss fights could do with a race like that or something.

firehahahahahaha 05/10/2009 02:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iol-lrjOcwo
That had to be my favorite dlc map pack so far.

haichinamie 05/11/2009 12:58 PM

I hate the old American Sonic cartoons. GHEY

ForceStealer 05/14/2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dacon (Post 75305)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq-CPgj2Tc

An entire Sonic game just like this would be perfect.

Exactly, is it so hard? Yes they'd have to make more of them, and perhaps a little longer, but with all the tie they spend on the stupid gimmicks they could make some great ones. I just don't understand it...

I also wish they'd go back to the Level Clear song that they stuck with from Sonic 2 (or was it 3) all the way through Sonic the Hedghog next gen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2mnj...eature=related that one)

Max Payne 05/14/2009 09:15 PM

I remember one of the producers saying something like "We had to break the speed segments of the game up with the werehog bits because the average gamer would get burnt out on them real quick" and I just thought it was complete bs.

Anyone who grew up, and is committed to sonic plays it only for the speed and thrills, not the shitty shoveled up action scenes.

Makoeyes987 05/14/2009 09:22 PM

There has never been a level as epic as Stardust Speedway...specifically, racing Metal Sonic for the first time. I wish they'd do something like that in 3D. That would be so awesome.

ForceStealer 05/14/2009 09:28 PM

lol, looking around at Sonic music I stumbled across this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpFi6...eature=related

It's amazing how just hearing the song makes me tense up. It's been that ingrained in me, lol.

Dark and Divine 05/14/2009 09:42 PM

This whole thread made me want to look for my Mega Drive and play Sonic the Hedgehog or Sonic & Knuckles, best Sonic game imo.

Max Payne 05/14/2009 09:43 PM

Has anyone gotten the sega collections game for ps3 with all of the original sonic games?

I definately want it.

Dark and Divine 05/14/2009 09:45 PM

I didn't knew of the existence of such a thing...

Do want!

Makoeyes987 05/14/2009 09:50 PM

Nonsense, Sonic CD is the best Sonic game :monster:

ForceStealer 05/14/2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dacon (Post 80936)
Has anyone gotten the sega collections game for ps3 with all of the original sonic games?

I definately want it.

Is Sonic CD on it do you know? Because I already have the Sonic Mega Collection Plus for PS2.

Max Payne 05/14/2009 11:46 PM

According to the demo it is.

Strangelove 05/15/2009 12:04 AM

This one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic%2...sis_Collection

I was just about to asked about that. There's a demo out for it, then?

Max Payne 05/15/2009 12:06 AM

That's it, I think.

But I was pretty sure I saw Sonic CD in the games list : /

ForceStealer 05/15/2009 02:10 AM

If so, I may have to purchase it. My first computer ever came with Sonic CD, and I still have the disk, but I can't play it because all of our fancy technological advancements makes my computer too powerful to play it. (It requires 256 colors. And know you force windows to do that but it still won't wok for whatever reason. And the computer can't just use 256 colors out of the several times that it has access to is beyond me.)

Tetsujin 05/15/2009 03:26 AM

Didn't they change some of Sonic 3's music on those collections? You know, the tracks that were rumored to be composed by Michael Jackson? :wacky:

They changed the music for Ice Cap Zone for example. Which is a BAD move.
Ice Cap has the most awesome music ever.

ForceStealer 05/15/2009 03:36 AM

I'm pretty sure they didn't change it on the Sonic Mega Collection Plus...but I dunno about the new one. Would they really do that...?

Tetsujin 05/15/2009 03:42 AM

No idea. :monster:

firehahahahahaha 05/15/2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dacon (Post 80936)
Has anyone gotten the sega collections game for ps3 with all of the original sonic games?

I definately want it.

got it day 1. it's pretty epic, and an easy as fuck plat trophy.

ForceStealer 04/07/2011 01:59 PM

SUPER BUMP

Sega released a trailer exclusively to facebook...of all things. Depicting the new Sonic (green eyes, taller, etc.) racing the old Sonic (black eyes, chubby, etc.). Sega recently copyrighted "Sonic Generations," so it could be that game that is remaking classic levels. Although...Sonic 4 was kinda already doing that but I guess they mean taking the level directly.

Also, does it make anyone else feel old that Sonic is 20?


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.