The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Final Fantasy Competitions (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   The Lifestream ranks Final Fantasy songs (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=16702)

Flintlock 10/30/2015 05:24 PM

I'll try my best to make it clear. There'll be an announcement up shortly.

Monterosa 10/30/2015 05:29 PM

Gah, group one is just so hard for me already. I can just about whittle it down to five from a shortlist of seven... But then I would be pained to see any of those five not go through.

I feel like using a joker just for one extra song is a bit pointless and if I choose more than five it might dilute the chances of those ones I truly love. Tough one.

Flintlock 10/30/2015 06:03 PM

I don't want to encourage tactical voting, but... you could vote tactically. :P

The announcement is now up. I'll put it here as well since it will only be visible until Monday. I'll get around to making a front page post as well.

---

Hi everyone,

If you hadn't already noticed, we're about to have an enormous Final Fantasy music event here at The Lifestream. Thanks to your nominations, we've gathered 280 of the best songs from the series, and over the course of the next month and a half, we're going to compile a top 100 ranking.

The first round of the event starts tomorrow, Saturday the 31st of October. Here's how it will work:

There are 20 groups of 14 songs each. These groups have already been randomly drawn - you'll find them here - so you can start thinking about your favourites in each group. There are also Youtube playlists here.

I'll post the polls for two groups each day. The polls will be open for three days (72 hours).

You will have four votes in each poll. Our forum software can't enforce this limit, so please count your votes! I'll check afterwards as well.

Because there's bound to be a group that contains more than four of your best-loved songs, you have the chance to cast as many votes as you wish in one poll. Choose carefully - once you've used this "joker", you won't be able to change it to a different poll.

You don't have to give explanations for your votes, though you are welcome to do so.

The top four songs, excluding ties, in each poll will make it through to the next round. The remaining 20 places will be filled by the songs with the most votes which didn't make their group's top four. Songs will be seeded in the next round according to how many votes they receive in this round, so every vote matters!

If you have any questions, you can post them in the event's discussion thread. I hope lots of you take part, it's going to be a blast. :D

- Your Community Manager, Flintlock

NB A couple of extra points for those who care:

In order to be consistent, I'm using the "official" song titles that Square Enix have released. In many cases, these aren't the same as the previous translations. I'll try to include the best-known alternative titles in the poll threads, but I thought I should give you a bit of warning, since some of the modern titles are markedly different from what you might be used to.

In a similar vein, my Youtube playlists contain the original versions of each nominated song. You are free to base your vote on any version of the song - we're effectively voting on compositions, so as not to weigh the event down with duplicates - and if you feel strongly about a particular version, feel free to post it in the poll thread. :) When it comes to making a video/playlist of our final top 100, then I'll ask for version preferences, so don't worry about it until then.

Monterosa 10/31/2015 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flintlock (Post 665201)
The top four songs in each poll will make it through to the next round. The remaining 20 places will be filled by the songs with the most votes which didn't make their group's top four. Songs will be seeded in the next round according to how many votes they receive in this round, so every vote matters!

I'm very glad to see this. Looking at Group 9, there are far more than just four songs worthy of the top 100. I think I know when my joker's coming out to play.

Flintlock 10/31/2015 03:26 PM

We are underway!

Jason Tandro 10/31/2015 03:58 PM

Voted in the first two groups. Haven't used my "freebie" yet as I found this very easy to find my four favorites in these groups, but I'm sure that will change. Brilliant bit of separation and piecing it all together Flint, I can't wait to see what comes of this!

RedFFWolf 10/31/2015 04:48 PM

Already it's so difficult and yet so perfectly so. I'm gonna enjoy this so much, but I am not gonna sleep well at night. I'll be haunted by the dying sound of beautiful melodies reminding me why I should've voted for them :P

Airling 10/31/2015 05:32 PM

I am disproportionately excited about this!!!:excited: Lets face it, the music is at least half the reason we even play Final Fantasy.:wacky::geek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flintlock

This picture makes me want to be where-ever that is so very much.

Flintlock 11/02/2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monterosa (Post 665251)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flintlock (Post 665201)
The top four songs in each poll will make it through to the next round. The remaining 20 places will be filled by the songs with the most votes which didn't make their group's top four. Songs will be seeded in the next round according to how many votes they receive in this round, so every vote matters!

I'm very glad to see this. Looking at Group 9, there are far more than just four songs worthy of the top 100. I think I know when my joker's coming out to play.

I'm actually going to refine this slightly further: if there is a clear top 4 in a poll, with no ties, they'll all qualify automatically, but if there are songs tied for fourth place, they'll have to compete with the "best runners-up" on vote counts. Unless anybody objects to this change, that is.

I'm just a bit worried that a group with, say, three stand-out songs will finish with another three songs tied for fourth place with only a handful of votes. They shouldn't necessarily take priority over the fifth- or sixth-placed song in a group with six stand-out songs (and we definitely have a couple of those).

Edit: also, in case anyone's wondering about the spreadsheet, I've been writing the functions to automatically determine if a song will qualify from this stage of the event or not, so don't be surprised if you see partial or even completely fictitious data in there while I test it out.

Flintlock 11/05/2015 03:14 PM

Announcement: since we've reached the half-way point of the first round, I'm going to take a day off from posting new polls so we can all catch our breath. Keep yourself entertained by looking at the upcoming polls and all the nifty stats I've compiled in the event spreadsheet. :)

Monterosa 11/05/2015 03:48 PM

I just want to say that I'm loving this event so far. I'm on TLS every day and, with this post, I've finally reached a milestone of 100 posts made. ^^

Thanks for giving us a day off. I have a lot of catching up to do. I keep thinking I can just listen in the background, but these songs demand my full attention.

Flintlock 11/05/2015 03:49 PM

:congorats:

Flintlock 11/05/2015 04:18 PM

Sorry for double post, but this needs a bump:

I had a realisation today. One of my last "rounding up to 280" nominations was the Opening Theme from the original Final Fantasy game, because I thought it should be in the mix, but it turns out that Prologue from Final Fantasy IV is exactly the same composition, just from a different game. So, unless anybody objects (it's possible that someone has already looked at 14, thought it was a tough group, considered saving their joker for it but then used it in an earlier group), I'm going to replace it.

There's a couple of songs not in the competition which I keep thinking about, because I reckon they'd do well:

The Man with the Machine Gun (Final Fantasy VIII)
Dark Messenger (Final Fantasy IX)

Update: see below.

I was going to ask you to choose between them, but then I realised that one of my other final nominations was basically a duplicate as well (Zephyr Memories ~ Legend of the Eternal Wind, almost the same as Eternal Wind, even though I prefer the newer version), so fuck it, I'm putting them both in. Again, unless anybody objects?

Airling 11/05/2015 04:27 PM

I think you just became my hero...

Doom Bunneh 11/05/2015 04:27 PM

Yes please! I know I wasn't involved in the original nominations, but this would make me so happy! Especially Dark Messenger, damn but I love that song, I sometimes play a youtube video that has a half hour loop of it while I work out and stuff.