The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Gaming (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   (New) God of War (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=18813)

X-SOLDIER 06/14/2016 02:33 AM

(New) God of War

YouTube Video

Super different, but it looks really, REALLY cool.

X :neo:

Tetsujin 06/14/2016 02:35 AM

Yeah, didn't care about Ascension because I was feeling GoW fatigue but this is making things fresh again. Surprised it is the same Kratos though. Thought it would be a complete reboot or something.

Ghost X 06/14/2016 03:28 AM

Pretty sure that giant / troll thing said "Valhalla". There seemed to be (possibly bastardised) runes all over the place too. The makers of the original games were planning to have Kratos visit other myths, so maybe they're taking that path. Though, was that Mount Olympus at the end? What's a dragon doing there too? I'm liking what I'm seeing anyway.

Lol at the boy shooting Kratos :P.

Shademp 06/14/2016 06:24 AM

Very promising trailer. Seeing Kratos as a father and not just as a raging maniac is a welcome change.

Ghost X 06/14/2016 07:06 AM

The Norse Mythology angle was pretty much confirmed in a leak two months ago apparently :wacky:. It seems some people want a new character to play rather than Kratos, but I'm sure a well-written story will do this justice.

I'm sure someone will take issue with it being culturally inappropriate for a Greek god (demigod?... forgot) to shit all over Norse gods (perhaps even literally? You neeever know :P), given that many still believe in various denominations of Odinism (a segment of which are white supremacists... awkward). Look forward to the games where he takes on Jesus and Muhammad though :awesome:. J/K. I think it'd be more appropriate to go after earlier myths of the middle eastern region, which were amalgamated into the "monotheistic" Abrahamic god(s). Or... Kratos takes on the Indigenous Australian Dreaming creation gods, etc. You name it, really. Will be interesting to see, if they continue in this way, what they deem to be "safe" myths to write about.

Interslicery 06/14/2016 12:24 PM

Not sure how the over the shoulder cameras gonna effect things, it doesn't feel gow at all to me, but we'll see

ForceStealer 06/14/2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost X (Post 704314)
Look forward to the games where he takes on Jesus and Muhammad though :awesome:. J/K. I think it'd be more appropriate to go after earlier myths of the middle eastern region, which were amalgamated into the "monotheistic" Abrahamic god(s).

Sort of the basic idea of that Dante's Inferno game. "God of War with Christian mythology," which was a sweet idea, unfortunately the rest of the game was stupid.

I always had a similar problem with God of War, though. The Greek mythology angle was a cool one, but Kratos was just so thoroughly unlikable I could never get into it. (DOES. ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. NEED TO BE SAID. WITH A GUTTURAL ROAR?!)

Tetsujin 06/14/2016 02:33 PM

^It seems like they're gonna address that.

There was this moment where he shouted at his son, then stopped midway, took a breath and continued in a calm voice.

Looks like he might have taken some anger management lessons. :wacky:

Shouty Kratos definitely was a flanderization after the first game though.

I hope we'll see a changed Kratos. Less psycho, more relatable. Would be interesting.

X-SOLDIER 06/14/2016 03:41 PM

Also, did you notice his anger indicator in the top left during that scene and how it mellows out? Super rad. I'm interested in seeing the way things progress and seeing how much has changed.

Cthulhu 06/14/2016 06:44 PM

Mixed feelings. On the one side, w00t God of War. On the other, I was kinda hoping for a full reboot, i.e. a new lead character. I prefer origin stories over part X in a series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shademp (Post 704311)
Very promising trailer. Seeing Kratos as a father and not just as a raging maniac is a welcome change.

No u, Kratos being a raging maniac was half the awesome of the previous games, :monster:. Part of me is hoping this trailer just gives a false sense of mellowness, the kid dies, and Kratos goes "The Gods of Asgard have abandoned me" and vows to destroy them all. ALL. MURDER AND VIOLENCE, RAGE, RAAGE, WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I'm okay

Tetsujin 06/14/2016 11:25 PM

Some more info and stuff.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/...0cc3bc5f000022

Looks like Kratos' son will be with him at all times:
Quote:

While you assume complete control of Kratos, you also passively control his son throughout the entire game

Tetsujin 06/15/2016 01:37 AM

Also, apparently Christopher Judge (aka Teal'C from Stargate SG-1) is the new voice of Kratos.

Ghost X 06/15/2016 01:44 AM

Yop uses Kratos to vent? It (maybe) is known?

Lex 06/15/2016 04:55 AM

Something Yop has always said is that he enjoys GoW for it's ability to allow him to express his masculine rage (in different words of course, this is Yop we're talking about). But yeah genuinely think you're right Ghost :D

So I came to this thread to say: even if you're not a GoW fan (I'm a bit of a fan, I always enjoyed the gameplay at least), I don't think anybody can deny the utterly genius move by Sony to open the show with the live orchestra playing the song, and the music throughout the trailer. I say this because I'm still thinking about it, and I've now rewatched the whole pre-opening and opening segment twice. That's good marketing XD.

Tetsujin 06/15/2016 02:42 PM

So there's a mysterious hooded figure watching Kratos that I didn't even notice...

http://i.imgur.com/aNLHqid.jpg

Ghost X 06/15/2016 03:00 PM

Looks to have horns. Could it be a troll? :troll:

Cthulhu 06/15/2016 05:59 PM

God of War triggers the same primal response as the Hulk does.

And monster trucks. FUCK YEAH MONSTER TRUCKS

YouTube Video

Tetsujin 06/16/2016 10:50 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o72F5...QTEMo/200w.gif

Tetsujin 06/17/2016 12:05 AM

God, I hope Kratos will fight the Midgard Serpent...and brutally impale it on a tree.

Cthulhu 06/17/2016 09:52 AM

Nah, not nearly epic enough. I mean fuck.

Ghost X 06/13/2017 06:30 AM

YouTube Video

This game still firmly has my attention.

Tetsujin 06/13/2017 07:57 AM

Very much hyped for this. :monster:

Cthulhu 06/13/2017 06:16 PM

AREEES! THOOOR!

GoW games are gold. I do hope they add a bit of replayability to this one though.

Tetsujin 06/13/2017 06:20 PM

YouTube Video

Tetsujin 06/21/2017 12:42 AM

Interview with director Cory Barlog

Pretty good interview. Also talks how he learned from George Miller working on Fury Road :P

X-SOLDIER 06/21/2017 04:41 PM

Well, THAT'S just marvelous! Also, I friggin' loved this bit:

Quote:

I was reading a story recently about the creative director of FromSoftware, the Dark Souls guy. Miyazaki, right? He was talking about the fact that he couldn't read English, but he loved the D&D books. He created his own stories by interpreting what was in the pictures in the source books. That was what inspired him to make a game where you don't really understand what's going on, and you're interpreting things as you play.

Ghost X 09/23/2017 02:58 PM

YouTube Video

New trailer from TGS. Some new footage, I think.

Super Mario 09/25/2017 02:44 AM

Holy shit, I am so stoked to see this continue! Hahaha! I like how the character Kratos grows with the audience as well, from a vengeful god of war to a now mellow one who tries to be a good father.

Cthulhu 09/25/2017 06:36 PM

Kratos? Mellow? Get the fuck out, :monster:. Here's what, his son's going to die at the end of the prequel, killed by a god and he'll get fucking pissed off.

ANGER

X-SOLDIER 09/27/2017 07:05 PM

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Tetsujin 10/30/2017 03:49 PM

YouTube Video

Lucis Caelum 12/09/2017 04:14 PM

The game will be about 25hs-35hs long.

X-SOLDIER 01/23/2018 04:08 PM

YouTube Video

The Twilight Mexican 01/23/2018 04:19 PM

So Kratos has more of a personality now than "biggest douchebag in Greece"?

X-SOLDIER 01/23/2018 04:52 PM

Yup yup. (A reason that I'm quite looking forward to it).

Cthulhu 01/23/2018 05:53 PM

Is he still fucking pissed off though?

X-SOLDIER 01/23/2018 05:56 PM

Oh, of course! :monster:

Lex 03/19/2018 05:40 AM

YouTube Video

Cthulhu 03/19/2018 07:23 PM

yes but have the gods of olympus abandoned us?

Tetsujin 04/12/2018 07:32 AM

One more week!

YouTube Video

Lucis Caelum 04/12/2018 12:24 PM

With 60 reviews, the game averages a 95/100 score.

http://opencritic.com/game/5434/god-of-war

Lucis Caelum 04/13/2018 04:02 AM

YouTube Video

Ghost X 04/13/2018 07:20 AM

I wonder -- perhaps not in this game, but down the road in future sequels -- if they're gonna have a pass-the-baton type situation (eg: Kratos dying). That or the son gets horribly killed, and Kratos goes nuts again :P. Surely, can't be all smooth sailing.

Ergo 04/13/2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost X (Post 781355)
I wonder -- perhaps not in this game, but down the road in future sequels -- if they're gonna have a pass-the-baton type situation (eg: Kratos dying). That or the son gets horribly killed, and Kratos goes nuts again :P. Surely, can't be all smooth sailing.

Wouldn't surprise me if you get to the final section of this game and there is a big psychological torture moment against the son that causes him to kill kratos and become the new Norse God of war.

Lex 04/13/2018 05:30 PM

I've owned and completed every God of War game - I didn't actively seek them out, I just ended up getting them for cheaps at some point. And in general I enjoyed the gameplay.

For some reason even though this looked amazing I actually didn't really care about it? Until I watched the Easy Allies review that is. Now I feel like I absolutely need to get it. I'm getting my brand new Sony TV on the 25th so I might just have to get this to go along with it.

Tetsujin 04/13/2018 05:46 PM

I've been replaying the series in anticipation of this. Started with Ascension which was the only one I hadn't played yet (outside of that one mobile game or whatever) because by the time it came out I wasn't really too interested in yet another prequel. Got it for cheap now though, so. :monster:
I started on Hard mode since it was required for the Platinum anyway. Seemed quite a lot harder than the other GoW games, got my ass kicked so many times. :wacky:

Now, five games later I'm almost done with GoW 3. For a game that runs in 720p and came out eight years ago it HOLDS. UP. Was briefly considering getting the PS4 Remaster but don't think it's necessary for this at all.

Quite excited for the new one now and how they'll develop Kratos considering the absolute psychopath he is throughout the Greek saga.

Lex 04/13/2018 06:03 PM

The game is reviewing insanely well across the board

https://i.imgur.com/NOf8LOb.jpg

Tetsujin 04/13/2018 06:48 PM

I was expecting it to be a good game but didn't really anticipate it being so universally praised with perfect scores left and right.

Also, they misspelled Easy Allies in that image. https://i.imgur.com/ITogGvo.png

Tetsujin 04/14/2018 08:49 PM

I'm just seeing that the soundtrack is on Spotify :monster:

Lex 04/14/2018 09:34 PM

I've heard some of the tracks either are spoilery or have spoilery titles, so just beware.

Lucis Caelum 04/14/2018 10:38 PM

YouTube Video

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regular PS4:
there is the base PlayStation 4, which is capped at 30fps and here, the level of performance is remarkably like the PS4 Pro with the higher resolution option engaged. Frame-rates generally hold steady at 30fps but there are dips in performance during specific sequences, which does reduce fluidity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PS4 Pro Resolution Mode:
When using checkerboard 4K mode, the game does a reasonably good job of holding steady at 30 frames per second in most scenes, with even intense battles that pile on the visual effects sticking mostly to the target frame-rate with only small pockets of dropped frames. It's not quite perfect though, and some effects-heavy scene will see performance drop. Thankfully, this is more of an exception than the rule and most of the game delivers a stable 30 frames per second, but it's not a perfect lock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PS4 Pro Performance Mode:
What this mode basically delivers is something more in line with, say, God of War 3 or Ascension on PlayStation 3. The frame-rate averages in the mid to upper 40s most of the time during any skirmish while some of the quieter moments can jump up to or around 60fps.

Tetsujin 04/14/2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex (Post 781449)
I've heard some of the tracks either are spoilery or have spoilery titles, so just beware.

Yeah I haven't looked at the track titles for fear of spoilers. :lol:

Cthulhu 04/15/2018 08:46 AM

Track titles like Kratos And Son Have a Dank Tea Party With the Stuffed Animals? The Talk about the Birds and the Bees? :awesome:

Interslicery 04/15/2018 02:06 PM

Son, when a man and two women love each other very much, they express that love through shaking a vase until red orbs explode out of them. And that's where you came from.

Lucis Caelum 04/16/2018 11:57 AM

There's already a bunch of videos showing cutscenes of the game and one channel is uploading playthrought of the game (currently the first two hours)

Ghost X 04/16/2018 01:02 PM

If the whole game is as good as the first hour I'm watching, "I'm very impressed" is an understatement :monster:.

Interslicery 04/16/2018 03:12 PM

I hope youtube doesn't decide to spoil me with related videos with spoilers in the title/thumbnail. It loves to do that, and I'm going into this having only watched the first trailer, and that short combat "trailer".

Tetsujin 04/16/2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interslicery (Post 781520)
I hope youtube doesn't decide to spoil me with related videos with spoilers in the title/thumbnail. It loves to do that, and I'm going into this having only watched the first trailer, and that short combat "trailer".

A lot of people reporting exactly that happening.

I use a Video Blocker extension to blacklist shit because of that :monster:

Lucis Caelum 04/16/2018 05:28 PM

Another thing you can do is clean your search history, not sure how much it will help but watching videos unrelated to GoW or gaming should change the algoritms to show you something else on your feed.

Ergo 04/16/2018 05:48 PM

After an age of disappointing game releases I seriously cannot wait for this!