The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Feedback, Suggestions & Questions (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Forum software upgrade (for real now) (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=19080)

Ghost X 09/22/2016 02:21 AM

Using TLS, same as Lex pretty much.

The go to for me is the "New posts" function, and if threads haven't been contributed to to appear there, but I want to add to them anyway, I'll search through the relevant sections for them, and if I can't find the thread I'll use the search function. If I'm making a new thread, I'll also use the search function in case the topic already exists.

The shoutbox is a nice addition, but not essential. I can always harass people on skype. Look and feel of the forum is important, as it is strangely crucial to our individual and collective identity (d'awww? :P). For me that is just the colours, section>thread>post structure, and cookie monster emoji primarily, and maybe some others I regularly use (:awesome: :P...:closedmonster:). I don't use PM or visitor messages much :alone:, but I can imagine that's very important for others. Display pics / avatars would probably be crucial too.

Dashell 09/22/2016 04:03 AM

When I used SMF I rather liked it, but I've also seen people have much success with MyBB. If not, I know Invision has also gotten really good these past few years.

So uh... that :monster:

Cthulhu 09/22/2016 05:34 PM

For my own 2 cents, I use New Posts, then click on a bookmarklet that executes this script:

Code:

javascript:var newPoastImages = document.querySelectorAll('img[title=\'Go to first new post\']'); for (var i = newPoastImages.length - 1; i > 0; i--) { window.open(newPoastImages[i].parentElement.href, '_blank'); }
which opens every thrad in a new tab :monster:. It doesn't work well though, my browser loads the pages very slowly and then just freezes so I have to force-quit my browser. They work when I restore the tabs though. Lawls :monster:

X-SOLDIER 09/22/2016 11:06 PM

*now feels like he should probably use the New Posts feature more often*

X :neo:

Channy 09/23/2016 01:59 AM

Where are you going if you're not using the New Posts link?

X-SOLDIER 09/23/2016 03:40 AM

I just browse through the sections where I typically spend time posting & reply to the threads that are bold, and look through older ones when those topics catch my attention. I literally don't ever use the New Posts link. (Which will make it apparent why my activity is sporadic in certain sections & such where I don't often spend a great deal of time).

:awesomonster:

Disclaimer: This is also because a big chunk of my time on TLS is just checked during downtime at work or between doing other things, so it also kinda keeps me from getting absorbed responding to ALL THE THINGS.

X :neo:

Airling 09/23/2016 08:15 AM

I also do the new posts thing, either with the bar at the bottom, or with the link at the top if there are a lot of new posts.

If I could choose anything, I'd choose we don't change. But that really isn't an option anymore. Curse you internet criminals.>_>

All the choices presented so far look so nice, it's very hard to pick just one. My only personal preference would be that we get to take everything we have here where ever we end up. For instance: We've talked about how a like system would be really great to have, but will the thanks we've already put in here migrate to there, or is that a part of TLS history that will be lost forever? I don't think smilies are too much of a worry since any forum needs smilies:awesomonster:, but will our post formatting break so that spoiler tags and images in archived posts become b0rk?

I like Yop's idea of us actually trying them out. I have some experience with Xenforo, and it's... alright enough I guess. It feels stiff somehow. I can't really place it.

Cthulhu 09/23/2016 05:34 PM

We'll probably have to code something ourselves if we want to transfer thanks over. But, it should be straightforward enough, a thank is basically an entry in a table containing user ID, post ID and a timestamp.

AvecAloes 09/23/2016 06:28 PM

/glad that someone here speaks kompooter

Cthulhu 09/23/2016 06:59 PM

I know so much about computers and software and shit, I could talk about it for days :monster:. And not only that, but also the human aspect of it. Since the human:developer ratio is rather skewed most of the time, even in a software development office. (lots of people involved with management, testing, management, SEO, content, management, marketing, management, etc)

Fangu 09/23/2016 07:10 PM

Easy there tiger :monster:

Claymore 09/23/2016 07:23 PM

Is past likes really something that needs to be imported over? I mean, if it's easy enough to do, then sure, but no point busting any balls over that.

Octo 09/23/2016 07:48 PM

I think Yop should just maek his own forum software :monster:

We could call it Yop and the slogan would be 'once you Yop you can't stop'

Flintlock 09/23/2016 08:19 PM

Don't give him ideas...

Actually he might have mentioned doing that already at some point. Not sure if serious. :monster:

ForceStealer 09/23/2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
cba :monster: