The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND! (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=12698)

Charles Xavier 10/30/2012 09:02 PM

Star Wars: Episode 7, 8... and BEYOND!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/169...ucasfilm.jhtml

Disney, seriously? You're actually going to push this all the way, aren't you?

YouTube Video

The Man 10/30/2012 09:04 PM

This will all end in tears, I know it /marvin

edit: Though to be fair, Disney has done a pretty good job with both Pixar and Marvel, so there may be a chance this might not suck. It's also true that the best Star Wars releases in recent memory have been the releases Lucas wasn't given complete control over.

The Pyro 10/30/2012 09:18 PM

I... really don't know what to make of this. I mean, I'd like it to be good news but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rory Williams (Post 472380)

Cthulhu 10/30/2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rory Williams (Post 472380)

WTF do they plan to do anyway story-wise, have the bastard cyborg son of Luke and R2-D2 destroy a 3rd death star formed by the Dark Side Force from the collective hatred of the fanbase versus the prequels and Jar-Jar with the power of love and CGI?

Captain Jack Harkness 10/30/2012 09:38 PM

i feel a disturbance in the Force

The Man 10/30/2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu (Post 472385)
WTF do they plan to do anyway story-wise, have the bastard cyborg son of Luke and R2-D2 destroy a 3rd death star formed by the Dark Side Force from the collective hatred of the fanbase versus the prequels and Jar-Jar with the power of love and CGI?

That would be lulz. To be fair, though, it's not like the Empire is completely gone after the end of the original trilogy, and there were plenty of rather cool novels written in the Expanded Universe after Return of the Jedi (although there were several crappy ones too). I doubt they're going to use one of those as the basis for the sequels though (least of all because the original actors are way too old, plus they probably have way too much plot to fit into a two-and-a-half-hour film), so they'll probably go with an original story, and I don't have much faith in whatever they come up with being any good.

Literally Who? 10/30/2012 09:51 PM

I remember one EU novel about a sith finding Darth Vaders glove and then suddenly having all of his power.

It was cool but meh at the same time o.O

Cthulhu 10/30/2012 09:51 PM

:monster:

Also somewhat relevant, Disney purchased Pixar in 2006 for 7 billion, which used to be a subsidiary of Lucasfilm; they now purchased Lucasfilm for 4 billion, which is pretty neat considering they haven't done anything worthwhile since the prequel trilogy. The IP is probably worth shittons though - although, does the Star Wars IP belong to Lucasfilm or to George Lucas' person? Kinda relevant there.

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy has some information about stuff about the sequel triology based on stuff.

Tetsujin 10/30/2012 10:10 PM

Mixed feelings.

I love Star Wars (even the prequels despite their flaws :monster: ) but I'm not sure about this...o_o

Mormz 10/30/2012 10:15 PM

Hopefully they come up with a decent storyline. I'd prefer it to be quite some time after the events of Episode 6.

Charles Xavier 10/30/2012 10:25 PM

In all fairness, I'm not totally against another SW movie. And as Rory pointed out, Disney may do a better job with the franchise than Lucas. But ask yourself this; do we REALLY need another Star Wars movie?

If they're thinking about bringing back any of the original cast to serve in the main plot/s, I wouldn't advise it too much. I say bring on a new generation.

Ghost X 10/30/2012 10:44 PM

Saying "Do we really need another Star Wars movie?" is like saying "Do we really need the expanded universe?" ain't it? I'm all for another Star Wars movie. I just hope they do something different. I think we're over-exposed to certain elements. There's got to be more to the universe than just the force magic tricks, and Jedi versus Sith. Wouldn't mind the focus be shifted at least a tad away from that. Maybe have a central character the audience can relate to, looking at shit from the outside in sort of thing. As for when the story should be set, I would rather hear about a story post-Episode VI.

Fangu 10/30/2012 10:53 PM

YouTube Video

On the other hand, they can't do any worse than Lucasfilm themselves did with the prequels. It is universally impossible to make Star Wars worse than that.

X-SOLDIER 10/30/2012 10:53 PM

More info:

YouTube Video

Some speculation:

• This means that they COULD ACTUALLY RELEASE the original, unedited trilogy on BluRay.
• Disney owns Pixar, Marvel, Square, AND Star Wars now, so there will now almost certainly be a Kingdom Hearts videogame where Darth Vader fights against/with Sephiroth.
• Leia and Padme are now Disney Princesses.

They can't really do any worse at this point than Lucas, imo.

X :neo:

Chloe Frazer 10/30/2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost X
I think we're over-exposed to certain elements. There's got to be more to the universe than just the force magic tricks, and Jedi versus Sith.

On that they should take notes from The Old Republic since they have other stories than just Jedi versus Sith.