The Lifestream Forums

The Lifestream Forums (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/index.php)
-   Forum News & Information (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New site staff and Mod, TresDias/Squall_of_SeeD (https://thelifestream.net/oldforums/showthread.php?t=3342)

Dashell 11/07/2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Potter (Post 182409)
You're supposed to tell me, because I represent an accurate cross-section of the community, and simply cba :monster:

Time to go to bed, I read cross dressing....

Makoeyes987 11/07/2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Potter (Post 182409)
You're supposed to tell me, because I represent an accurate cross-section of the community, and simply cba :monster:

Well he likes long walks on the beach, is a sucker for romantic comedies, watches Dancing with the Stars, and..... :monster:


I mean, what do you want me to tell you about him? He was a frequent quality poster back on ACF before he left. Pretty well known. Has made numerous FAQs since then. Has come here, been posting well. Has helped us out on our projects. He's a good writer, knows Japanese, and we felt he was more than qualified to fill in the spot Schala left behind in staff. At least four staffers are familiar with the guy. So yeah.

Alex 11/07/2009 10:36 AM

If he was a famous work of art, what would he be?

Cthulhu 11/07/2009 11:08 AM

"The Call of Cthulhu", by H.P. Lovecraft. :monster:

Also, quit bawwing you lot. You're just jealous :awesomonster:

Marauder 11/07/2009 11:12 AM

Jealousy! The perfect explanation!

Alessa Gillespie 11/07/2009 12:37 PM

I'm not really sure what's going on here. So I'm gonna go put my shirt on and head to work.

Bex 11/07/2009 04:19 PM

Sure, four staffers might know him and be familiar with him, but a great deal of members have been left baffled by this appointment. Yes, he might be good at writing Final Fantasy essays, but a lot of us have never really seen him about. I was on ACF for a very long time, and he doesn't ring a bell.

What I'm trying to get at is that I think that it is very strange to appoint a little known person to the community as a moderator. I have nothing against the guy, I just think that someone who is going to be given authority over said community should at least have a rapport with the majority of members.

Alex 11/07/2009 04:23 PM

I'll tell you what Bex, this isn't the first time I've been baffled by the appointments of staff on TLS.

But in all fairness, he is replacing somebody that never posted at all ever. So I guess that is an improvement. Maybe.

Max Payne 11/07/2009 05:13 PM

Yeah because this site really needed 2 Makos. Not that it's going to make much of a difference to the "community".

Because face it, the fate of your little board is in the hands of SE.

Cthulhu 11/07/2009 05:34 PM

Really now, who else would you have liked to have the position?

(And for what it's worth, I warned 'em this would happen :monster: ).

Max Payne 11/07/2009 05:37 PM

I thought Tennyo was in the running anyway?

Alex 11/07/2009 05:41 PM

She didn't submit her essay on time.

Bex 11/07/2009 05:46 PM

Yes, I thought Tennyo would have made an awesome mod.

SE WILL CRUSH YOU

Alex 11/07/2009 05:49 PM

Tennyo would be a fail mod, she can't even speak Japanese. I mean, ffs how is somebody that incompetent supposed to relate to the sizeable and influential hardline nationalist Japanese bloc of TLS members.

I mean really.

Marauder 11/07/2009 09:33 PM

i c wat u did thar :monster:

sheens 11/07/2009 10:00 PM

Oh, so staff was familiar with the guy. That's ok then.

Max Payne 11/07/2009 10:05 PM

Would have made more sense to make this guy Site Staff and Tennyo the moderator.

KissTheRain 11/07/2009 10:12 PM

I think Tres is mod worthy his essays were amazing. Congrats making it.

And i think Tennyo would make a nice mod too. ^^

Dashell 11/07/2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu (Post 182482)
(And for what it's worth, I warned 'em this would happen :monster: ).

Cthulhu knows best :awesomonster:

Max Payne 11/07/2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KissTheRain (Post 182534)
I think Tres is mod worthy his essays were amazing. Congrats making it.

And i think Tennyo would make a nice mod too. ^^

Exactly how are these so called "amazing" essays evidence of his qualification to be a mod of this community?

Alessa Gillespie 11/07/2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban dictionary
A moderator who on message boards are in charge of moderating all forums rather than being in charge of one.

So I guess if you post sometimes and know some Japanese, you can be a good mod. Or something.

Cat Rage Room 11/08/2009 01:12 AM

I don't really like the idea of only popular people getting to be mods.

Max Payne 11/08/2009 01:14 AM

Exactly where in the hell did you get "popular"?

The problem is this guy is unacquainted with the community and the most folks have come up with is "hey he knows japanese and wrote some cool essays!" as a reason for him being a mod.

Besides Tennyo ain't popular, and neither are you.

Cat Rage Room 11/08/2009 01:18 AM

Quote:

Exactly where in the hell did you get "popular"?
I'm just getting the impression that if say, Alex or Bexy were appointed moderators, very few people would have complained. While that's an extreme example perhaps, I do feel as if this community is rooted in nepotism and cliquishness and 'popular opinion.'

Quote:

The problem is this guy is unaquainted with the community and the most folks have come up with is "hey he knows japanese and wrote some cool essays"!
His dedication and knowledge of the fandom is unwavering and impressive. While I understand he's not really known, to me that's irrelevant because the Staff believes that he's capable. Does that take anything away from Tennyo? No! I still believe she would be a great addition to the Staff and I'd personally vouch for her.

However, TresDias is also a very capable, intelligent person, and while being familiar with the community is certainly a plus, I don't believe it's a requirement, because generally moderating a community is an objective job. Moderate people who flame, spam, and fuck shit up. I know he won't OVERSTEP ANY BOUNDS or whatever.

Max Payne 11/08/2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

I'm just getting the impression that if say, Alex or Bexy were appointed moderators, very few people would have complained. While that's an extreme example perhaps, I do feel as if this community is rooted in nepotism and cliquishness and 'popular opinion.'
Yeah, we all know they'd suck as mods, even they themselves because they can't stand half of staff.

Quote:

His dedication and knowledge of the fandom is unwavering and impressive.
This means fuckall when it comes to being a moderator, and I couldn't give a shit about his 1337 ff knowledge and essay writing skills. That makes him good for SITE STAFF. It sounds like you guys made him a mod just because you needed one.
Quote:


However, TresDias is also a very capable, intelligent person, and while being familiar with the community is certainly a plus, I don't believe it's a requirement, because generally moderating a community is an objective job. Moderate people who flame, spam, and fuck shit up. I know he won't OVERSTEP ANY BOUNDS or whatever.
That's nice and all, but a mod having a good relationship with the community is an INTEGRAL part of keeping bullshit and drama off a message board. I was proof of this, and so are you.

You say it's an objective job, which I find pretty laughable because there is no one on this earth that keeps personal bias out of their "jobs" with any modicum of continual success.

Max Payne 11/08/2009 01:27 AM

I'd also add it's kind of fucked up that you'll promote someone who's relatively new versus someone who's been a part of this community since pretty much the beginning, has a good relationship with pretty much all members, and gets along with staff and has a low tolerance for bullshit. Oh, and she is pretty well versed in your precious fandom too.

I'm saying all this, and I don't even REALLY LIKE HER.

Cat Rage Room 11/08/2009 01:27 AM

I dunno, I don't represent the entirety of Staff. I'm just throwing out some of my thoughts as just ONE of the Staff.

And to be blunt, he's remaining on Staff whether some of you like it or not. We like him and we really want him part of the team. This topic is really just a formality.

(ib "this is why this place sucks" response)

Max Payne 11/08/2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

And to be blunt, he's remaining on Staff whether some of you like it or not. We like him and we really want him part of the team. This topic is really just a formality.
You say this as if it's some sort of surprise. But it's nice to see you guys admitting the farce.

Cat Rage Room 11/08/2009 01:34 AM

Yeah well, "whoops there it is".

Alex 11/08/2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

I'm just getting the impression that if say, Alex or Bexy were appointed moderators, very few people would have complained.
Oh come now, we both know I'm not THAT popular :monster:

FYI, posts like this:
Quote:

And to be blunt, he's remaining on Staff whether some of you like it or not. We like him and we really want him part of the team. This topic is really just a formality.
Are the reason that justifications like this:
Quote:

the Staff believes that he's capable.
Really, really don't fly at all. Way to improve staff's image there chief.

Cat Rage Room 11/08/2009 01:42 AM

Well, uh

that's how it is

I'm not exactly sure what else to say. At this point it's not even ME (TLS's favorite scapegoat!) enacting my will or whatever. That's just the general sentiment of Staff at this point in time. I say this as a member, not as Staff, but if you don't like the way it's going, no one is forcing you to stay here. I would have been left if I were some of you guys, honestly.

Max Payne 11/08/2009 01:43 AM

Lol predictability.

The fact that people argue these points at all should tell you monkeys that there's something here that they like that makes them WANT to stay.

But hey you want to drive people off that's cool.

Cat Rage Room 11/08/2009 01:44 AM

gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet

Alex 11/08/2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

(TLS's favorite scapegoat!)
Oh dude get over yourself. Even if it was true, that attitude is boring as hell.

EDIT:
Quote:

gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet
Yeah, hows that attitude been working out for the site's activity lately bro? :monster:

Max Payne 11/08/2009 01:46 AM

Gotta have eggs to make an omelet.

Cat Rage Room 11/08/2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Oh dude get over yourself. Even if it was true, that attitude is boring as hell.
eh maybe

Quote:

Gotta have eggs to make an omelet.
We have 30 active eggs a day.

Max Payne 11/08/2009 01:52 AM

The site has taken a huge hit in activity in recent months, but I don't suppose anyone here has anything to do with that huh?

Even the contest Mako and Alex came up with has done fuck all to boost activity significantly, and Mako has had to resort to hassling people to finish their fucking entries.

Also lol 30.

Cat Rage Room 11/08/2009 01:56 AM

Well, to be honest, like I said, I was just throwing out my own personal thoughts. None of this is really because "IT'S WHAT I WANT". Honestly I have been kinda disconnected with the going on's over the past while because of offline business, so I generally keep to just moderating and discussing ideas.

Max Payne 11/08/2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

None of this is really because "IT'S WHAT I WANT". Honestly I have been kinda disconnected with the going on's over the past while because of offline business, so I generally keep to just moderating and discussing ideas.
Then what is the point of you interjecting yourself as the center of attention and contention then?

ForceStealer 11/08/2009 02:04 AM

Holy crap, if the focus of this site was blowing things out of proportion we'd be the most successful internet concoction this side of facebook.

Is this really that big of a deal? He wasn't appointed the leader of a nation, he was made a mod on a goddamn FF message board. Is there really a long list of credentials and rigorous training necessary for such a position? Especially considering he's simply replacing someone who never freaking posted will anything have been lost?

Considering he's been pretty damn active since he joined to inform the people who don't actually visit the compilation sections, I submit he'll add a great deal. I'm sure he'll be better than I am, I admit I'm not a spectacular mod. I just seem to not piss people off so I'm mostly overlooked.

But if everyone needs a Bex on staff I say you replace me, not him, as he has the ability to contribute much more, I would wager.

Cat Rage Room 11/08/2009 02:05 AM

Quote:

Then what is the point of you interjecting yourself as the center of attention and contention then?
I honestly didn't mean to, man! I was just giving my thoughts and being representative of the view the Staff (including me) discussed when we were deciding on his ascension to mod. Ah well!

With that said I'm going to play some Left 4 Dead!

Max Payne 11/08/2009 02:07 AM

I've said my piece, if people are just going to come up with some bullshit about how things are being blown out of proportion instead of answering a simple legitimate question, then it probably is best if I leave. Instead I get hysterics opposed to an actual answer which would put the matter to bed easily enough.

Tbh this site has waned for a while now, and with staff having become more and more complacent regarding co-action with members, I find it mostly distasteful.

I mean really, it's such a big deal that I want to know what makes this guy suitable for being a super moderator, as opposed to just being site staff, which seems to be his main focus anyway?

Vendel 11/08/2009 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Train (Post 182583)
I mean really, it's such a big deal that I want to know what makes this guy suitable for being a super moderator, as opposed to just being site staff, which seems to be his main focus anyway?

Epically when you have a perfectly good Vendel lying around not being used.

Alex 11/08/2009 02:17 AM

Send staff another PM imo. they might just let you join up now.

Max Payne 11/08/2009 02:17 AM

Goddamnit, I laughed.

Vendel 11/08/2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Weasley (Post 182587)
Send staff another PM imo. they might just let you join up now.

I did when Cole was dumped. If I knew a spot was still open I would have again.

Max Payne 11/08/2009 02:19 AM

Lol I wish I was "dumped".

Then I'd have justification for butthurt rage.

Alex 11/08/2009 02:20 AM

Think I'd stance a chance if I did it?

Alessa Gillespie 11/08/2009 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Weasley (Post 182592)
Think I'd stance a chance if I did it?

well, it's not like you know Japanese or write essays or anything.

Alex 11/08/2009 02:23 AM

I write alot of essays! >:O

Just you know, on things that aren't Final Fantasy

Marauder 11/08/2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForceStealer (Post 182581)
Is this really that big of a deal? He wasn't appointed the leader of a nation, he was made a mod on a goddamn FF message board.


If it really isn't a big deal, then the question should be answered with minimal fuss and bitching! As members/active posters/etc. we are entitled to question you, this doesn't necessarily mean that anything needs to come of it...just that we're allowed to do it, if we so desire.

I already said that I don't care and so it remains.

Isabella 11/08/2009 02:40 AM

Why are people blowing this out of proportion? Very little actual modding goes on around here anyway.

Marauder 11/08/2009 02:43 AM

Then, as Dacon said, why is TresDias a mod and not just site staff? If we're in such little demand for moderators and all. :huh:

Isabella 11/08/2009 02:46 AM

I dunno, and it's just not something I care about. Or does he get a bigger paycheck as a mod than as staff?

Max Payne 11/08/2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Why are people blowing this out of proportion?
Ask the people that won't answer a simple question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella (Post 182598)
I dunno, and it's just not something I care about.

The don't post.

Alessa Gillespie 11/08/2009 02:50 AM

I think mods are allowed to post drunk, whereas staff are generally frowned upon when they do that.

Marauder 11/08/2009 02:52 AM

Seriously, I lol'd.

Isabella 11/08/2009 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood (Post 182600)
I think mods are allowed to post drunk, whereas staff are generally frowned upon when they do that.

Well now that answer makes sense. Now I can see why this topic is worth getting our panties in a wad over.

Marauder 11/08/2009 02:56 AM

I thought you didn't care, anyway? - insert eye roll here for dramatic effect -

Max Payne 11/08/2009 02:57 AM

Makes more sense than people claiming not to care yet still wasting time posting about things they don't care about.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.