View Single Post
Old 06/25/2018   #24
Literally Who?

Just hack the roms on your PC and play the finished file on your Raspberry, retropi plays IPS Patched rom files very well and the emulation for PS1 on the current Pi model is excellent. It definitely wont do PS2 though.

I had a Dell computer with a Pentium 3 550 MHz CPU, 128 MB of RAM, and a Voodoo 3 3500 video card. Had Windows 98SE then upgraded to Windows XP. Used to to play PSX emulators, with good results. Thing lasted 7+ years.

lol wow. Yeah that definitely wont run Vista haha. IIRC that would have been like a Katmai
processor released in 1998/99?

Current Windows 7 CyberPower PC I had to buy to keep getting security updates has an Intel Core i7 running at 2.8 GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU that I can't recall, but I am sure has more CUDA cores and higher clock speed than a GeForce 9800M, and cost me ~$1300

I can see why this is having crap performance. That i7 is being bottle necked by basically... everything else. And without knowing what era of i7 it is , it could also be a bottleneck (i.e. some early gen i7's are less powerful than even i3's from today).

I mean that GPU is from 2008 and it's main selling point is that it can do HD video, Not video games... just Video. And if the CPU is also from 2008/2009 that would mean it's a first gen, probably Lynnfield considering its base ghz.

Furthermore that ram was low even back then , and assuming this is a laptop that 4gb would mean it's likely 32bit aswell. Which while fine then is pretty not great even like 5 years ago. Especially with likely very slow ram speed and so little of it I'd be shocked if that PC could run chrome.

It sucks that you paid a high price tag for a prebuilt, but you got ridiculously ripped off if you bought that PC 4 years ago. I'm really not kidding that the CPU and GPU are a decade old.

Windows machines are pretty junky, it has the same issue Android does. Tons of companies can make a pc and cut corners left and right still sell it a premium. The craptop isle and basically every prebuilt PC website is a testament to that.

But at the same time it's not hard to google the names of hardware before buying in. I really sympathize with your issues with Windows. I'd be frustrated if I paid 1300$ for a decade old PC too. But it's pretty clear that you kinda don't understand PC specs and are just throwing money at the problem thinking you wont get ripped off or something.

I write this next part out of concern and I'm really not trying to patronize you, but it seems like this latest Linux PC you got was rather recent. Mind if I ask what specs and the price you paid was? I just want to make sure you didn't run into the same kind of "deal" Cyberpower gave you 4 years ago =/
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote