View Single Post
Old 06/25/2018   #23
NERV Agent

Literally Who? wrote: Out of curiosity do you still have the specs for that set up? Really interested to see at what point stuff like VLC or other media players just start giving up lol.
It's been awhile, but let me recount some of the PCs I've had off the top of my head.

I had a Dell computer with a Pentium 3 550 MHz CPU, 128 MB of RAM, and a Voodoo 3 3500 video card. Had Windows 98SE then upgraded to Windows XP. Used to to play PSX emulators, with good results. Thing lasted 7+ years.

Computers I've had after that had dual core processors at 1.8 GHz to 2 GHz, 1 GB to 2 GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU that I can't recall off the top of my head (the Vista one that I installed XP on was 1.8 Ghz and 1 GB of RAM). Used them to play PSX and N64 emulators with good results. Lasted 7+ years. Oh, and each computer cost me ~$800 - $900.

Current Windows 7 CyberPower PC I had to buy to keep getting security updates has an Intel Core i7 running at 2.8 GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU that I can't recall, but I am sure has more CUDA cores and higher clock speed than a GeForce 9800M, and cost me ~$1300. I mainly play PSX games on this thing, and some old emulator ROMS. Slow as hell and screen tearing everywhere, even on YouTube. And even on NES games. Yes, I already turned off Aero and all that crap, and it's still terrible. Right now the motherboard is acting up and on the verge of dying, hence why I needed to buy a new computer.

Oh, and I've only had it for 4 years.

I do the math, I spend more money on a new Windows machine that doesn't even last as long as my previous machines, and take into account the poor performance. Yeah, I'm not made of money, and I've had enough of Windows.

Also, one of my past times is ROM hacking, which I doubt is possible on a Raspberry Pi. Cuz I gotta use hex editors, tile editors, disassemblers, tracers, debuggers, and all that. I have a history of churning out PSX ROM hacks under a different alias. Recently, I've been learning the basics of editing the compressed graphics in the PSX version of our favorite game, Final Fantasy VII.

Anyway, back on topic, it seemed that I almost had PCSX2 up and running, but it broke and I got this error:

Code:
ALSA lib pcm.c:7963:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
I already searched Google and can't find any answer to this (I've been doing that a lot lately).

Any help?

UPDATE:

Okay, I got to boot up to the PS2 BIOS screen by selecting "Boot CDVD (Full)", but now I am stuck at a "select language" screen. It says press "X" for the US BIOS, and press "O" for the Japanese BIOS. Neither work, but it definitely detects my gamepad and I had it configured.

Last edited by NERV Agent; 06/25/2018 at 10:15 AM.
NERV Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Literally Who? (06/25/2018)