The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 08/15/2014   #16
X-SOLDIER

Masamune wrote: Both Kojima & Del Toro are vastly overrated in their respective fields. This whole move reeks of desperation on Konami's part.

Silent Hill as a series seems to have fallen into a pretty heavy sense of another drudge through a mist/rusted world swap, rinse & repeat, whatever (I don't know the last time I had any of my horror friends gushing about a Silent Hill game). If anything could do with a big push to make it something else that really gets to the core of making it feel like a pants-shittingly terrifying game again, giving it a "star" treatment like this seems to be a really good choice.

Additionally, while Kojima & Del Toro both have a very distinct style to all of their work, I'm not sure what about it you'd consider to be "overrated".

I can't speak much on Kojima, as I'm not someone who's played many of his games, but for a game that's going to focus around player deception/confusion, stealth mechanics, cinematic storytelling, and heavy use of lighting for gameplay - I think that there's a lot working in his favor in terms of knowing how to use those elements for a Silent Hill Game, and the P.T. demo seems to speak VERY strongly in favor of this.

When it comes to Del Toro, I'd be hard pressed to think of ANYONE more deeply involved in the world building and creature design for their works -- especially those with an element of horror. Not only that, he does a lot of storytelling just through design-specific elements and has a lot of detail put into the thought process that follows behind everything he does. This is something that I have a huge amount of respect for because he does it so well (in addition to being really passionate about his work in general).

...and everybody loves Normal Reedus.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Claymore (08/16/2014), Hisako (08/16/2014), Tetsujin (08/16/2014), The Pyro (08/16/2014), The Twilight Mexican (08/16/2014)
Old 08/15/2014   #17
Octo

I had no idea who Reedus was, I remember seeing the end and thought - they've made that character look a bit weird there, kinda funny looking...more than most people even.

But anyway, I don't care about all that shit - whoever is involved. Bottom line was I found the demo scary and I wasn't even playing it, so I have high hopes for this one.

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (08/16/2014), X-SOLDIER (08/15/2014)
Old 08/15/2014   #18
Tetsujin

Masamune wrote: Both Kojima & Del Toro are vastly overrated in their respective fields. This whole move reeks of desperation on Konami's part.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
Celes Chere (08/16/2014), Claymore (08/16/2014), Ghost X (08/15/2014), Strangelove (08/16/2014), The Pyro (08/16/2014), The Twilight Mexican (08/16/2014), X-SOLDIER (08/15/2014)
Old 08/15/2014   #19
Ghost X

Citation please? .

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (08/16/2014)
Old 08/16/2014   #20
X-SOLDIER

A No Commentary Playthrough of the P.T. Demo for anyone interested. Headphones recommended. (~25 mins)

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 4:
Drax (08/16/2014), Octo (08/17/2014), Tetsujin (08/16/2014), The Twilight Mexican (08/16/2014)
Old 08/16/2014   #21
Hisako

Octo wrote: Scary vibraty ghost woman was sort of the least scary thing for me,
Yeah I had the exact same reaction. At first I was like "eh, okay that's pretty unnerving" and then I was like "WAITHEFFFFFFUCK"

Here's a full playthrough of the game, to counter some of this anti-hype going on in the thread

YouTube Video

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Hisako is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Octo (08/16/2014), Tetsujin (08/16/2014), The Twilight Mexican (08/16/2014), X-SOLDIER (08/16/2014)
Old 08/16/2014   #22
Literally Who?

Someone messed with the color levels of a screengrab of the game. Its pretty scary looking lol

(SPOILER)
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Hisako (08/16/2014), Octo (08/16/2014), X-SOLDIER (08/16/2014)
Old 08/16/2014   #23
X-SOLDIER

God damn. The lighting in that game engine. Seriously.

Also, now that we've got two No Commentary playthroughs in the thread - here're a couple playthroughs of the first 10 mins with reactions of the people doing the playthrough, because it made me feel a tiny bit better about myself. (I'm spoiler tagging, just 'cause the title cards is something it's better to see after you've watched it before).

First 10 mins with reactions
YouTube Video

YouTube Video

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (08/18/2014)
Old 08/16/2014   #24
Hisako

Fox Engine confirmed best engine

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Hisako is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Ghost X (08/16/2014), Interslicery (08/18/2014), X-SOLDIER (08/16/2014)
Old 08/16/2014   #25
Tetsujin

Watched it. Startled me a few times.
Thanked by:
Old 08/16/2014   #26
Celes Chere

it really looks a lot like SH4 so far tbh especially with the ghost in the apartment room and the first person thing going on

...and everybody loves Normal Reedus.
I don't

I don't think it reeks of desperation at all. i think it is a genuine effort to make a REALLY scary game. It's just that with how silent hill has been lately .... i'm skeptical. with how homecoming DESTROYED it especially how will they recover lol. And Downpour was fun but was it really silent hill feeling? nah not really

i almost wish they'd drop silent hill and just turn this into a game with a diff title. I think I'd be more okay with it then. but aahhh maybe they'll use the awesome plot elements in SH 1- 4 and not make it so... jump scares and twitchy ghosts and weird lens flares . i miss the psychological stuff, i really do. and im hoping they'll have some of that ~
Celes Chere is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Strangelove (08/17/2014), The Twilight Mexican (08/18/2014)
Old 08/17/2014   #27
Strangelove

Octo wrote: I had no idea who Reedus was
he was judas in a lady gaga music video

tbh i want to be excited for a new silent hill, but i kind of feel the same as tiff does. 'silent hills' is a very kojima-esque title where i don't think his aesthetics were needed, i don't really care for using the direct image of a real actor. and i guess i don't have a fanboy boner for reedus so that doesn't excite me (but i've never seen anything he's done except for the judas video).

but it does look real nice, and i like what i've seen of del toro's horror (which admittedly isn't all of it). i just want something more like the old silent hills, except with modern flash and gloss.

and do not use anything from the movies, i swear to god if i see any falling ash or underground fires i will fucking scream so loud it will be heard around the world
Celes Chere (08/18/2014), The Twilight Mexican (08/18/2014)
Old 08/17/2014   #28
Drax

Reedus has this weird Walmart fashion model thing going in Walking Dead. I stopped watching since the second season, but at some point I hear the female cast tries to push him as this supermodel god? To each their own I guess. But I'm good with whatever, the protagonist is usually just an average joe anyway (SPOILER) I BET HE'S THE KILLER.

The only Silent Hill I played all the way through was 2. I'm stuck on SH1 with the giant moth, I'm only an hour into both 3 and 4. I haven't touched any of the later SHs, but know that their problem seems to be "let's explain everything" being their downfall, as Octo said. And yet 2 feels like the series' FFVII, just because a lot of ideas were able to take off there.

From the SH1 music cue, I imagine they're wanting to take the games back to their beginnings? I'm cool if they give the series more recognizable mascots. I'm only familiar with Pyramid Head and faceless nurses, but can't think of any others I've come across other than faceless legs and blobs. While Resident Evil gets zombie dogs, Nemesis, Wesker, Ant ladies, Lisa, etc.

I do like the lighting in this Fox Engine as well. I'd like them to give the town more character, and I'll be honest having the harsher lighting makes things pop more than washed out rust and fog. Having colors that pop out feels more effective imo. It's almost like the buildings have their light sources coming from the base, which fits into the idea that the town is a living entity.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 08/17/2014   #29
X-SOLDIER

Quick introduction to Norman Reedus: Boondock Saints
It's why I was interested in The Walking Dead initially tbqh.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 2:
Literally Who? (08/17/2014), The Twilight Mexican (08/18/2014)
Old 08/17/2014   #30
Tetsujin

The Grumps are also at it:

YouTube Video
Thanked by 5:
Hisako (08/18/2014), Octo (08/17/2014), The Mad King (08/20/2014), The Twilight Mexican (08/18/2014), X-SOLDIER (08/18/2014)