The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 04/30/2018   #991
X-SOLDIER

There're a few things I found REALLY neat for character developments in the film and how they set up for things to come:

(SPOILER)
THOR & ROCKET:

Thor's sense of humor has always come out of the fact that he's a displaced Asgardian on Earth, and doesn't understand customs. As such, he's in very interesting company amongst the Guardians who are ALL a bit like that. That being said, Thor's changed a bit because he's intentionally using that sense of humor to cover up MASSIVE emotional damage that he's experiencing, the same way that Tony Stark does, but Thor's never done that before now.

That's why it's especially poignant during Rocket's, "Time to be the captain" moment with Thor, that he calls him out on it. Rocket does the EXACT same thing, and had his own moment like that during Guardians 2, and it's precisely the kind of damage that he recognizes.

With Groot getting taken away, I can only surmise that the two of them will be closer than ever going forward. Not only that they'll be an intentional source of light and levity in the bleak wastelands that they've been left in, and our other humorous characters are in a pain that they can't cope with.

TONY:

Whether or not Pepper is still alive is gonna be huge on him, in addition to the fact that the whole dream about having a kid, and Peter disintegrating in his arms is really gonna mess with his PTSD. He's normally full of quips and other things, but I think that he's gonna have it REALLY hard to even attempt to be that side of himself. I think that what he's got is the reconciliation with Cap who just lost Bucky, and that the two of them are gonna be support for one another with nothing else around them.

BANNER & HULK:

Hulk's been our long enough in Ragnarok that he's experienced things other than just rage, and now he's properly terrified. That's gonna take some significant personal therapy to deal with between the both of them, and by the end of it, I think that we'll have a very interesting dynamic between Banner & Hulk, especially because Banner stood up to fight when Hulk wouldn't.

Even with Hulk properly on the table again and with Ant-Man/Wasp (assuming that the aftercredit of that film has some of them survive), and with Hawkeye possibly back in the mix, who's there? Who's left that's really taken all of the damage, and done nothing but hone it into pure purpose?

NEBULA & THANOS:

It's understated for the time being, but this film showed that Gamora was GENUINELY loved by Thanos, and she was unquestionably his favourite. Nebula is literally nothing more than a tool that he'll gladly torture to get what he wants out of his favoured daughter. This makes everything with her that much more painful, and I feel is going to be a MASSIVE motivator in the next film, and why she was left along with Tony. Not only can she bring him home, since she has a ship – but she's got all the motivation and more to do what it takes at any cost to bring him down. Whereas everyone else got hurt, she's already internalized all of that pain, and is laser focused to be able to bring him down. She's got the personal connection, and on top of that, she's totally done it in the comics in a way that opens up for the arrival of Adam Warlock who was teased by Guardians 2.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 7:
AvecAloes (04/30/2018), Chloe Frazer (05/01/2018), Claymore (05/01/2018), Dark and Divine (05/01/2018), ForceStealer (04/30/2018), Tennyo (05/01/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/01/2018)
Old 05/01/2018   #992
Lucis Caelum

Theory about possible development of Avengers 4 based on IW Ending.

(SPOILER)
Interestingly most of the characters that die at the end where post Avengers characters, this is theory many other fans have speculated that I'm on board with:

Trading off the old Avengers for the new characters (new Avengers)

The whole plot of Avengers would revolve around of OG Avengers bringing back the others obviously, but at the cost of their own lives. This being the more gracefull way of writing off the old characters and past the mantle to the new ones to carry on the MCU.
Lucis Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
AvecAloes (05/01/2018), Dark and Divine (05/01/2018), Tennyo (05/01/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/01/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/01/2018)
Old 05/01/2018   #993
Tennyo

AvecAloes wrote: (SPOILER)
Claymore wrote: God damn it, Parker, you made my heart stop - 'I don't want to go'. Holland played that magnificently and I really felt the emotion coming through there
FUCKING DAMMIT THE MORE I THINK ABOUT THAT PART THE MORE IT HURTS
(SPOILER) Tom Holland doing his best 10th Doctor impersonation.
Old 05/01/2018   #994
AvecAloes

THIS IS WHERE I'M AT
Claymore (05/01/2018), Dark and Divine (05/01/2018), Elessar (05/05/2018), Interslicery (05/01/2018), Tennyo (05/01/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/01/2018)
Old 05/01/2018   #995
Chloe Frazer

Well since my long post post disappeared let's do a short one instead.

The movie was fucking awesome, it was intense, it was funny and it was emotional. Is the first of the group movies I've genuinely wanted to see again immediately since the first Avengers one.
Old 05/03/2018   #996
Chloe Frazer

Old 05/03/2018   #997
The Twilight Mexican

Tetsujin wrote: ... the pace was just breakneck.
(SPOILER) Loki agrees.

(SPOILER) Speaking of which, I share the sadness of those who felt that death, but it was the perfect end to Loki's arc throughout these movies, whether it sticks or no. He actually went out heroically and while proving once and for all that he does love his brother.

I also loved that this time he was the one to say "We have a Hulk."

There are a lot of things to love about this movie, though. I saw it three days ago and am still digesting.

I think we all know most of these dead characters will be back, and that Dr. Strange gave up the Time Stone to save Tony because the one future where he saw them winning included Tony. Not sure who won't make it out the other side of all this, though. Cap seems like the safest guess. He's lost Bucky and Sam now, so if the theory that it will end up costing a life for a life to bring folks back proves true, then I'm sure Steve will be the first in line to volunteer (as if he wouldn't have been anyway).

I do have my doubts about that theory, though. For one, they're not going to leave half the universe dead at the end of this. They're just not. For another, the Stones will be needed to fix what was done with the Stones, and there's no reason to believe they can't undo what was done as easily as what was did. =P

At any rate, there's no precedent from the comics for it being any more difficult.

Speaking of the comics, some changes here were definitely better suited to this medium and the conceit of presenting the movie with Thanos as our POV character -- namely, giving Thanos the motivation he has here over the original killing-half-of-everything-to-please-Death-and-impress-her thing.

I think that could have worked, but it would have required a longer setup (most likely utilizing Hela in place of the more literal manifestation of Death we find in the comics) and a longer denoument than they will most likely have. Comics allowed years for Jim Starlin to continue developing Thanos after "The Infinity Gauntlet," with readers eventually even able to root for him to get Death's affection.

This angle just works better for what the movies need. Even if it does leave the door open to hilarious memes like this.

Speaking of fun "Infinity War" memes, have this one too.

Finally (for now), I have to say that coming off having just watched the first four seasons of "The 100," this movie wasn't nearly as tough to get through as I'd expected. XD

It still had a couple of emotionally trying moments, but it may not have even been quite as tense and draining as the "Infinity Gauntlet" comic it's largely based on. It is, however, a great Marvel movie, and a fantastic celebration of this franchise. I can't wait for what's next.
Thanked by 7:
AvecAloes (05/03/2018), Dark and Divine (05/03/2018), Ghost X (05/03/2018), Minato (05/03/2018), Shademp (05/10/2018), Tennyo (05/04/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/03/2018)
Old 05/03/2018   #998
JechtShotMK9

I'm with Tres. It's not quite up there with Infinity Gauntlet (or Thanos Quest, which it also takes after), but it's damn good. Best Thanos I've seen outside of Starlin's work. Much better than the Thanos plot of Infinity a few years back, which seems to be the other work this draws from.

Also, Ebony Maw is Space!Voldemort combined with that creepy Baptist preacher down the road, and you can't prove me wrong.
JechtShotMK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Dark and Divine (05/03/2018), Shademp (05/10/2018), Tennyo (05/04/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/03/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/03/2018)
Old 05/03/2018   #999
Chloe Frazer

You need to get lost, Squidward!
Old 05/04/2018   #1000
Tashasaurous
The Twilight Mexican wrote: (SPOILER) Speaking of which, I share the sadness of those who felt that death, but it was the perfect end to Loki's arc throughout these movies, whether it sticks or no. He actually went out heroically and while proving once and for all that he does love his brother.

I also loved that this time he was the one to say "We have a Hulk."

There are a lot of things to love about this movie, though. I saw it three days ago and am still digesting.

I think we all know most of these dead characters will be back, and that Dr. Strange gave up the Time Stone to save Tony because the one future where he saw them winning included Tony. Not sure who won't make it out the other side of all this, though. Cap seems like the safest guess. He's lost Bucky and Sam now, so if the theory that it will end up costing a life for a life to bring folks back proves true, then I'm sure Steve will be the first in line to volunteer (as if he wouldn't have been anyway).

I do have my doubts about that theory, though. For one, they're not going to leave half the universe dead at the end of this. They're just not. For another, the Stones will be needed to fix what was done with the Stones, and there's no reason to believe they can't undo what was done as easily as what was did. =P

At any rate, there's no precedent from the comics for it being any more difficult.

It still had a couple of emotionally trying moments, but it may not have even been quite as tense and draining as the "Infinity Gauntlet" comic it's largely based on. It is, however, a great Marvel movie, and a fantastic celebration of this franchise. I can't wait for what's next.
(SPOILER) I wouldn't be surprised that you're right about Cap. Chris Evan's contract for the franchise actually ended with Infinity War but he agreed to appear for the sequel because, as he said, "It makes sense". So I think he'll be the one to die in the next film.

I have a bit of a theory that, given that they'll most likely save the entire Universe and change history, that something would happen in the ending of the next film or somewhere along the lines that Steve would probably sacrifice himself.
Plus, I heard that they'll be another Spider Man film coming out next year which is a sequel to Homecoming, and a third Guardians of the Galaxy in 2020.
Tashasaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2018   #1001
Tennyo

http://www.didthanoskill.me

(SPOILER)

Old 05/04/2018   #1002
Minato

(SPOILER)
Well...

Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Chloe Frazer (05/04/2018), Shademp (05/10/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/04/2018)
Old 05/04/2018   #1003
Lucis Caelum

A 90% accurate (spoiler) review of how I view some miscellaneous stuff of the movie. (SPOILER) and because I feel lazy to write about that at the moment

YouTube Video
Lucis Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Dark and Divine (05/04/2018), Shademp (05/10/2018), Tennyo (05/04/2018)
Old 05/04/2018   #1004
Chloe Frazer

Minato wrote: (SPOILER)
Well...

(SPOILER) So you'll die in the next one?
Old 05/07/2018   #1005
Interslicery

(SPOILER)

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Dark and Divine (05/07/2018), Happy Little Lemon (05/07/2018), Tennyo (05/07/2018), Tetsujin (05/07/2018), The Twilight Mexican (05/07/2018), X-SOLDIER (05/07/2018)