The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 01/16/2014   #1
Cat Rage Room
Default UNSUNG STORY: TALE OF THE GUARDIANS: TRPG KICKSTARTED BY YASUMI MATSUNO

Check it out.

Some of you are aware that Yasumi Matsuno, (mastermind of Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and to an extent, FFXII) are among the list of 'game creators I'm most likely to fellate'. A few years ago Yasumi Matsuno stepped down from Square Enix and went freelance, and this is his next big project he's trying to fund with Kickstarter. Unsung Story will be in a similar creative vein as he's previous projects, with a tactics RPG approach with a detailed world, usually based off of real world themes.

At the time of this topic, about 250,000 dollars has gone into Unsung Story, and since it's Yasumi fucking Matsuno, I'm pretty confident in it. Talk about this!
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 13:
Alex Strife (01/30/2014), Claymore (01/16/2014), Hisako (01/16/2014), Literally Who? (01/16/2014), Minato (01/16/2014), Shadowfox (01/19/2014), Splintered (01/16/2014), Strangelove (01/16/2014), The Man (01/30/2014), The Pyro (01/16/2014), The Twilight Mexican (01/30/2014), X-SOLDIER (01/16/2014), Yuri Lowell (01/30/2014)
Old 01/16/2014   #2
Hisako

Filled with intrigue, warfare, betrayal, alliances and espionage
In other words, the same shit he's been doing since Tactics.
Which Tactics?
... Yes.

jks though, this looks fucking awesome. Dude's a RPG genius.

RIP in peace old sig lolol 04/2015

Don't believe your eyes? Don't be surprised.

Hisako is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Literally Who? (01/16/2014), The Twilight Mexican (01/30/2014), X-SOLDIER (01/16/2014)
Old 01/16/2014   #3
Literally Who?

Kiss Land wrote: Check it out.

Some of you are aware that Yasumi Matsuno, (mastermind of Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and to an extent, FFXII) are among the list of 'game creators I'm most likely to fellate'. A few years ago Yasumi Matsuno stepped down from Square Enix and went freelance, and this is his next big project he's trying to fund with Kickstarter. Unsung Story will be in a similar creative vein as he's previous projects, with a tactics RPG approach with a detailed world, usually based off of real world themes.

At the time of this topic, about 250,000 dollars has gone into Unsung Story, and since it's Yasumi fucking Matsuno, I'm pretty confident in it. Talk about this!

/attentionwhoring

Poasted first

http://thelifestream.net/forums/show...&postcount=378

/attentionwhoringdone.

jk'ing.

Im pretty excited I love his work and I think Mobile really lends itself well to the genre, I'd love to take a crack at this on my tablet.

That said though the game is coming to Droid/iOS regardless if this Kickstarter is successful. Heres the interesting bit (and honestly its way to hidden on the page), if they reach the goal the main platform for the game will shift from mobile to PC/Mac (and 3ds?) and they will modify the game to be based on a more serious platform.

So heres hoping they reach goal because the game would potentially be much much better with the extra cash.
Literally Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Man (01/30/2014)
Old 01/30/2014   #4
Yuri Lowell

The best thread ever created. Funding this shit now. Only plebs and casuals wouldn't be interested in this, or those uninitiated to his genius.

The French guy he's teaming with seems mighty cool too. Yoshida looks way too creepy for someone who's obsessed with asses but I'm glad he's on board too.
Old 01/31/2014   #5
Cat Rage Room

Yeah I'm trying to spread the word on this as well. The pace is going good and I definitely think it'll reach its base goals, but I'd really like it to hit some of those stretch goals.
Cat Rage Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (02/01/2014), X-SOLDIER (01/31/2014)
Old 02/02/2014   #6
Novus

Looks interesting, Vagrant Story stands at #3 on my favorite games of all time list.
FF Tactics might be amazing as well if I can figure out how to play it.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (02/03/2014)
Old 02/08/2014   #7
X-SOLDIER

6 dayssssss. $130k still needed for initial goal.

PLEASE HAPPEN.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (02/08/2014)
Old 02/10/2014   #8
Yuri Lowell

Novus wrote: Looks interesting, Vagrant Story stands at #3 on my favorite games of all time list.
FF Tactics might be amazing as well if I can figure out how to play it.
What do you have trouble with? Your posts are always insightful so I wouldn't mind helping.

The strategic key to success at FFT largely hinges on trajectory and distance, press a button to figure out an enemy character's range and where they can attack, so put a square between you and their blue radius.

Make it difficult for mages to scoop you into spells as they hit adjacently. Hell, game's a cinch.
Old 02/11/2014   #9
ForceStealer

So this is crazy. Apparently FFT wasn't designed to have Charge times?

Q: "FFTA and FFTA2 moved away from Charge/cast times, which I felt heavily took away from the depth of those games. Will Charge/Cast times be a core component of this game? One of my favorite mechanics in FFT was casting time."

A: Sorry, there won't be casting times in this game. In fact, the reason why FFT included a casting time system at all was to allow the game time to load graphic effects. This was a necessary consideration due to PlayStation loading times and memory concerns. Speaking as a developer back in those days, I can tell you that we weren't happy with it.
So much of the game seemed based around charge times, it's almost hard to believe it wasn't originally supposed to have them.

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
AvecAloes (02/11/2014), Hisako (02/11/2014), The Mad King (02/11/2014), The Twilight Mexican (02/11/2014)
Old 02/11/2014   #10
The Twilight Mexican

Holy shit. That's an eye opener. No wonder so many Jobs became obsolete and just stupid to use.
Old 02/11/2014   #11
Strangelove

Do you have to back using Amazon.com, or am I just dumb and not seeing the other options?
The Twilight Mexican (02/11/2014)
Old 02/11/2014   #12
X-SOLDIER

KickStarter is via Amazon.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (02/11/2014)
Old 02/12/2014   #13
The Twilight Mexican

Sakimoto is now on board:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/11/540...s-unsung-story

The Tactics dream team is reassembled. For great justice!
Thanked by 3:
ForceStealer (02/12/2014), Ghost X (02/12/2014), X-SOLDIER (02/12/2014)
Old 02/12/2014   #14
X-SOLDIER

51 hours and $72k needed.

Man this thing is makin' me nervous.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (02/12/2014)
Old 02/12/2014   #15
Strangelove

X-SOLDIER wrote: KickStarter is via Amazon.

X
Do you have to go though Amazon.com, or is there an option for Amazon UK somewhere?
The Twilight Mexican (02/12/2014)