The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 09/28/2014   #1
X-SOLDIER
Default Shadow of Mordor

YouTube Video

So, I initially dismissed this game because most film-property-based games are shit and the idea of playing a miscellaneous ranger with wraith-like abilities seemed really ridiculous, but this is the trailer that sold me on the idea. The game apparently takes place between The Hobbit and LotR with its own canon, but one that's still meant to fit in without shaking things up.

On top of that, the game has an Arkham-like play style (which I love), and it's getting AMAZING reviews: http://t.joystiq.com/all/2014-09-26-...my-precioussss

Soooooo… I decided to pick up a copy & make a thread.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Dark and Divine (09/28/2014), Keveh Kins (10/01/2014), Octo (09/28/2014), The Twilight Mexican (09/28/2014)
Old 09/28/2014   #2
Telcontar

I've been on a media-blackout for this game. Just saw Polygon's review (Just saw the score. Didn't read it.) and went, "HOLY SHIT!"

It got a freaking 9.5!!!
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (09/28/2014), X-SOLDIER (09/28/2014)
Old 09/28/2014   #3
Tetsujin

Kinda went under my radar because at first glimpse I thought it looked like an Assassin's Creed clone and being a movie license I was sure it would stink. =P

But is it actually good? Because the trailer made me interested.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (09/28/2014), X-SOLDIER (09/28/2014)
Old 09/28/2014   #4
X-SOLDIER

The reviews are basically saying that the variable open world with the Nemesis system that they use is something that they expect to see cloned in games from here on because it's so good at providing a consistent and unique experience. Like. I was not expecting this game to be anything at all, and then this trailer just hit my LotR geek in its soul and Joystiq (one of the sites I usually agree with really strongly), gave it an EXTREMELY glowing review, and I went from having zero interest to really wanting it.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 2:
Keveh Kins (10/01/2014), The Twilight Mexican (09/28/2014)
Old 09/30/2014   #5
Joe

So I've been playing this game for the last five hours straight.

As somebody who doesn't even like Lord of the Rings that much, I hope it comes with weight when I say this game is already Game Of The Year, whilst also being better than the last one or two game of the years.

Like holy shit I don't want to keep playing it incase I complete it too fast.

Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Cthulhu (10/05/2014), Ghost X (09/30/2014), The Twilight Mexican (10/01/2014), X-SOLDIER (09/30/2014)
Old 09/30/2014   #6
X-SOLDIER

Bigby wrote: So I've been playing this game for the last five hours straight.

As somebody who doesn't even like Lord of the Rings that much, I hope it comes with weight when I say this game is already Game Of The Year, whilst also being better than the last one or two game of the years.

Like holy shit I don't want to keep playing it incase I complete it too fast.

I.... I don't even have words. Especially because of how much I trust your judgement when it comes to games. Just... woah. I'm so fucking excited for my copy to show up.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 2:
Joe (09/30/2014), The Twilight Mexican (10/01/2014)
Old 09/30/2014   #7
Chloe Frazer

Until the EGX Dev Session on Saturday, I hadn't payed any attention to this game at all. I really want to buy it now but gonna have to wait a bit until I have some money to spend.
Old 10/01/2014   #8
Joe

Just stopped playing after a ten-hour opening session with the game. Given clues in the story and setting I can guess that I'm just over 1/3 of the way through, which speaks quite nicely of its playtime. I'll also say that this game has A LOT of replay value.

THIS. GAME.

Thanked by 4:
Cthulhu (10/05/2014), Ghost X (10/01/2014), The Twilight Mexican (10/01/2014), X-SOLDIER (10/01/2014)
Old 10/01/2014   #9
X-SOLDIER

MY BODY IS READY!!!!

Also, apparently the Season Pass comes with a bunch of extra stuff for once that's done, but I'm not sure how all that shit works these days, but I'd seen places mentioning it. (Not sure if that's online exclusive stuff or DLC type stuff or what).

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Old 10/01/2014   #10
Joe

Season Passes are usually available for games on launch these days. Having the season pass basically means you get all upcoming DLC (sometimes it's main dlc only, sometimes it's everything) even though it's not all released yet. It works out that you're getting it a fair bit cheaper than if you bought all dlc as it came out, but at the same time you've no idea what you're buying it for.

I'd say in most cases I wouldn't do this unless I was totally confident that I would want every piece of DLC for a given game. This game might actually be viable for that.

Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (10/01/2014), X-SOLDIER (10/01/2014)
Old 10/01/2014   #11
The Twilight Mexican

I would really like to play this. Can anybody tell me why the PS3 release date is so far after the PS4 release, and what differences (if any) to expect? Haven't been able to find any articles about it.

Last edited by The Twilight Mexican; 10/01/2014 at 07:17 AM.
The Twilight Mexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2014   #12
Chloe Frazer

November 18 for the PS3. After seeing the gameplay footage, I think you're in for a big downgrade on the PS3.
Old 10/01/2014   #13
Octo

Does anyone else keep calling this Shadow of Mondor? Because of 'Legolas by Laura'? Just me? Ok then.

Anyway, I guess this is another game to add to the list of 'Stuff I can play when Freybs is 21'

But I shall console myself that it can't be that good if theres no Heirs of Durin 4some sidequest

Edit: And also I would rather wait until I could afford a PS4 anyway, because it sticks in my craw to not get the full experience - which is why I had to buy an import of Prof Layton and the Last Specter

(Mostly Manics related things but some other stuff and more things being added all the time! <3

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rom...dropdown&asc=u
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Ami (10/02/2014), Cthulhu (10/05/2014), Ghost X (10/02/2014)
Old 10/01/2014   #14
Keveh Kins

So many games...so much want...so little money for new console...

Myself and the missus are as excited as hell for this, she be a big a LotR junkie, I blame her for the amount of hours I lost to Battle for Middle Earth 2

Hire claustrophobics. On the whole,
they're better at thinking outside the box.
Keveh Kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
Ghost X (10/02/2014), LicoriceAllsorts (10/13/2014), The Twilight Mexican (10/02/2014)
Old 10/01/2014   #15
Joe

After thinking about it for the better half of this morning I can say my only gripe with this game is that it's not very difficult. It does of course allow you to look like a motherfuckin' badass, though, which I'm all for.

Thanked by 4:
Ami (10/02/2014), Ghost X (10/02/2014), The Twilight Mexican (10/02/2014), X-SOLDIER (10/01/2014)