The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Final Fantasy > Sub-Final Fantasy

Sub-Final Fantasy General discussion for non-numbered Final Fantasies, Final Fantasy-related games, broad Final Fantasy topics, and crossovers.

Old 10/14/2017   #1
Agrippa
Default How would the heroes of the various FF games deal with Arkhamverse Bat-villains?

This question was inspired by having played through and re-watching the Solomon Grundy boss fight in Arkham City. Now I'm assuming that most of you aware of not only Batman as a character and a franchise but of the the Batman Arkham game series, A.K.A. the Arkhamverse. From what you know, would any of the heroes, both main characters and party members, of any Final Fantasy game display the same blanket level of unwillingness to kill/resort to lethal force that Gotham's Dark Knight does against the Arkhamverse Rogues Gallery? This is just out of idle curiosity.
Agrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2017   #2
ChipNoir

...The usual FF way: Stab it in the face till it bleeds and dies. This is the game series where even small children can become hardened murderers.

Last edited by ChipNoir; 10/14/2017 at 04:10 AM.
ChipNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (10/14/2017), Mr. Ite (10/14/2017), Obsidian Fire (10/14/2017), SeaDragon (10/15/2017), Shademp (10/14/2017), The Twilight Mexican (10/14/2017)
Old 10/14/2017   #3
Ghost X

Well, FF characters aren't averse to killing lots of anything. Good for getting EXP .

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (10/14/2017), Obsidian Fire (10/14/2017), SeaDragon (10/15/2017), The Twilight Mexican (10/14/2017)
Old 10/14/2017   #4
Agrippa

On a more serious note, I don't imagine any of the Final Fantasy heroes having a blanket opposition to killing. Not even the kindly white mage types. The likes of the Joker, Victor Zsasz and yes, I'd say Ra's al Ghul are irredeemable and monstrous murderers. Whether they kill for pleasure, or in the case of Ra's, for the sake of the environment, their crimes are without justification and they themselves largely, if not entirely, lack in morally redeeming features. I'd say that the heroes of the Final Fantasy series would not be on good terms with Batman as a result of this philosophical disagreement, no matter how many innocents they save or help to save.

As an aside, considering the power late game Final Fantasy's heroes tend to have, wouldn't it be fair to count them as superheroes, albeit ones with no secret identities?
Thanked by 4:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (10/14/2017), Obsidian Fire (10/14/2017), SeaDragon (10/15/2017), The Twilight Mexican (10/14/2017)
Old 10/14/2017   #5
Mr. Ite

If Batman was in an FF game, he would more likely than not get in the heroes' way while the villain opened some doom gate, launching us into Act III of the game and probably getting himself killed in the process.

If FF characters were in a Batman game, one of the final missions would be stopping the misguided heroes before they killed a villain, then punching the boastful villain into unconsciousness.

If Batman weren't involved, well, I see no problem. Stabby stabby boom slice!
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (10/14/2017), Obsidian Fire (10/14/2017), Shademp (10/14/2017), The Twilight Mexican (10/14/2017)
Old 10/14/2017   #6
Obsidian Fire

Yeah, the FF heroes are way too pragmatic for the Batman family to be okay with, except for maybe Jason. And if this is Arkham universe... either Jason would be pinging all their Sephrioth radars or he, Vincent and Cloud would be having a blast (literally) destroying Arkham.
SeaDragon (10/15/2017)
Old 10/15/2017   #7
Agrippa

Yeah, even Aerith would be too pragmatic for the Batfamily's comfort. By the way, isn't Arkham Asylum built on cursed/haunted ground, so maybe the legitimately mentally ill should be moved elsewhere. Especially the children's ward. Yes, Arkham Goddamn Asylum has a children's ward.
Old 10/15/2017   #8
Mr. Ite

Aeris would be a "good" villain like Todd, if she didn't straight up go off the deep end like Harley.
Old 10/15/2017   #9
Agrippa

Mr. Ite wrote: Aeris would be a "good" villain like Todd, if she didn't straight up go off the deep end like Harley.
Or she might decide, "Screw it, is there anyone of the of world's heavy hitting heroes who isn't inflexibly stupid about dealing with irredeemable homicidal maniacs?!" Considering that Metropolis and the other major cities and locales are unseen parts of the Arkhamverse there probably is.
Old 10/15/2017   #10
Shademp

Remember this?
Angeal: I'll set the bomb inside the fortress. You'll charge the front gate, and...
Zack: Uh-huh, and? And? And? And?
Angeal: Indulge yourself.
Zack: You got it! That's what I do best!

Reference
Shademp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 5:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (10/15/2017), Minato (10/15/2017), Obsidian Fire (10/15/2017), Teioh (10/15/2017), The Twilight Mexican (10/15/2017)
Old 10/16/2017   #11
JechtShotMK9

I think a more interesting case would be if you stripped the various FF villains of their powers, and threw them in Arkham. How would they interact with the various Bat-Villains?
JechtShotMK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Obsidian Fire (10/16/2017), Shademp (10/16/2017)
Old 10/16/2017   #12
Agrippa

JechtShotMK9 wrote: I think a more interesting case would be if you stripped the various FF villains of their powers, and threw them in Arkham. How would they interact with the various Bat-Villains?
"So then," says the Clown Prince of Crime, "who exactly the hell are you? I can tell you're going for the whole demented clown routine, but I thought that was my shtick! Well Harley's too, but since she's my lady friend/punching bag that only makes sense. Frankly you make me look subtle! I may have a penchant purple pin-stripe tuxes, as well as murder and general mayhem, but you dress so flamboyantly even Liberace would be begging you to tone it down!"

Hands clasped behind his back, Emperor Gestahl's former attack dog flashes a wicked grin before replying, "Kefka Palazoo, former general and court magician, as in wielder of actual magic, not sleight of hand, in service to Emperor Gestahl. As I always say, 'Nothing beats the sound of a thousand voices screaming in unison!' If you're wondering yes, Gestahl actually let me dress like this as general. Both in the field and in the war room!" Kefka finishes with a shrill laugh.

"And to think people call me The Joker!" Joker says with an amused huff. "Well, did you kill the idiot then?"

"Oh I tried to," Kefka wistfully replies, "but alas I failed. We were on a floating continent waiting for a pack of rebels called the Returners so we could ambush..."

"For the love of drowning puppies, kittens and little children, don't tell me they honestly called themselves the 'Returners'!" Joker says, "That's the stupidest name for a group I've ever heard yet! Believe me pal, I've heard some real dozes! Like the Doom Patrol and that Brotherhood of Dada."

Last edited by Agrippa; 10/16/2017 at 08:57 PM.
Thanked by:
Obsidian Fire (10/16/2017)
Old 10/16/2017   #13
Agrippa

ChipNoir wrote: ...The usual FF way: Stab it in the face till it bleeds and dies. This is the game series where even small children can become hardened murderers.
I wouldn't say murderers. Murder is a subset of killing, all murders are killings, but not all killings are murders. I'd argue that Final Fantasy's heroes are capable of is serial justifiable homicide, canicide, felicide, deicide, tyrannicide and ect. Both mentally and physically capable of it.
Old 10/16/2017   #14
Minato

Well all premeditated homicide was justified in some way in the killer's head. Cecil's kingly orders, Shadow and Cloud's money, Locke's cider, Celes' Imperial orders, Barret's Planet all might sound like good reason to kill someone not neccesarily even fighting back to them, doesn't mean it's not murder.
Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2017   #15
Mr. Ite

“How droll,” says Joker. “The philosophers are at it again with their word choices. What does it matter whether we call it killing or murder? I’m only after results. Wouldn’t you agree, Palazzo?”

“Uweee hee hee!” Kefka finishes picking the lock with a sharp bit of his sleeve’s fabric.
Thanked by 2:
Ghost X (11/17/2017), Shademp (10/17/2017)