The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Compilation of Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII All events from the 1997 classic RPG, with which it all began.

Old 06/09/2017   #1
Dungeonmaster
Default Why is Cloud your favorite character?

I like him because he's always hungry all the time, but he's strong.

I hate food... i hate commercials, i hate the whole Coca Cola company and every fake smiles of people who cynically is ok with it. I hate food that is promoting salt and sugar, fast food or anything like that. I just cant stand it.

He has a mom who's not saying "yeah eat this chocolate" she's just asking if he's eating right, as in if he's alright and not feeling ill.
Dungeonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2017   #2
f a n c y

He's not my fave, but I empathised with his lonely childhood cause I struggled with making friends as I am painfully, painfully shy and had my own set of bullies to pester me. I also empathise with his feelings of inadequacy in AC and just feeling "good enough" in general has been my version of "the SOLDIER exam."

He shouted something about everything being precious to him, again, in AC which appeals to my inner hippie, and I like to think of Cloud as having a self deprecating sense of humour, which I think was the intended trait for him, but sort of gets lost in his flanderised emo-ness. But speaking of flanderised emo-ness, I believe a common theory about Cloud's general mopiness in AC is that he was suffering through an episode of depression even though I'm almost certain 'depression' isn't a condition that's recognised in Japan? which HEY! Guess who's else undergoes that??

So, yeah, whilst he ain't my fave, I like him plenty because I empathise a lot with try character. Of course, I'm probably just projecting my own personality onto him, but then, I think everyone does that to an extent with fictional peeps.
f a n c y is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Kieron_ODuibhir (10/12/2017), Lilly Pilly (07/12/2018)
Old 06/09/2017   #3
Sprites

Dungeonmaster wrote: I like him because he's always hungry all the time, but he's strong.

I hate food... i hate commercials, i hate the whole Coca Cola company and every fake smiles of people who cynically is ok with it. I hate food that is promoting salt and sugar, fast food or anything like that. I just cant stand it.

He has a mom who's not saying "yeah eat this chocolate" she's just asking if he's eating right, as in if he's alright and not feeling ill.
........what the fuck?
Sprites is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 8:
Animexcel (06/10/2017), f a n c y (06/09/2017), Kermitu Kleric Katie (10/12/2017), Kieron_ODuibhir (10/12/2017), Lex (06/10/2017), Mr. Ite (06/09/2017), SeaDragon (06/10/2017), The Twilight Mexican (06/11/2017)
Old 06/09/2017   #4
Mr. Ite

Sprites wrote:
........what the fuck?
Yeah this has been happening for a few days now.
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 6:
f a n c y (06/09/2017), Kermitu Kleric Katie (10/12/2017), Lex (06/10/2017), SeaDragon (06/10/2017), Sprites (06/09/2017), The Twilight Mexican (06/11/2017)
Old 06/10/2017   #5
Random Nobody

Ms Master stay bamboozling people, and honestly these posts are the best thing I've read this year, month, century.
Random Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Kermitu Kleric Katie (10/12/2017), The Twilight Mexican (06/11/2017)
Old 06/10/2017   #6
Random Nobody

For the record, I also hate food, I hate it with my life, it will not leave me or my wallet alone.
Random Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2017   #7
Dungeonmaster

What i ment with the Coca Cola or chocolate conspiracy is that they are fine with promoting it with a smile. Like Coca Cola, taste the feeling...(some chump smiles while drinking it) thanks for the diabetes.

But try to imagine this "Heroine, taste the feeling (smiles while snorting cocaine)"

I mean... i just find it unethical that companies do this?. I mean heroine and alcohol, thats bad, but obesity, no problem, it only tastes good its not a problem... unless you are skinny with good genes of high burning calories, if not then you are screwed.

But yeah... I guess it was sort of childish using Cloud a fictional character to promote it... But i just like the character i guess. Because like him he suffers from Mako poisoning, i suffer from commercial poisoning.
Old 06/10/2017   #8
Animexcel

I like food, it helps me to live. I like Cloud because he also likes Tifa.

Last edited by Animexcel; 06/11/2017 at 04:12 AM.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Dungeonmaster (06/10/2017), Kermitu Kleric Katie (10/12/2017), Kieron_ODuibhir (10/12/2017), The Twilight Mexican (06/11/2017)
Old 06/10/2017   #9
Dungeonmaster

Well Tifa is more a helper to Cloud than Cloud is to Tifa i feel. But Cloud always give it all when he wants to help people. Its more selfless action, i mean he's not like a relater type, its like, oh someone is in trouble, better save them without no question asked. While Tifa just want to help him with any trouble he may suffer. Which i consider a good relationship.
Old 06/25/2017   #10
MoonSkull

He's not really but I suppose out of many fictional characters, he probably is sort of one of my favorites. There's something sort of iconic about his spiky blonde hair and giant buster sword and dark clothes that make him really memorable as well as the overall setting and theme of the game.

I can oddly enough relate to the general and overall settings and themes of the game because I have experienced similar things in my life and it does a good job capturing those feelings and sensations. I also loved the way he was animated in Advent Children, and how emotive his facial expressions and eyes are...

He kind of strikes me as an emotional person that keeps it all on he inside and which is generally what I do I suppose.
MoonSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Kieron_ODuibhir (10/12/2017), Ryuman (10/13/2017)
Old 10/09/2017   #11
Blade

I'm stumped as to why people hate Cloud so much on SiliconEra.

Like it's a congregation of Anti-Clouders or something, ever since that newsbyte with Tabata.
^Here's hoping for:
Valkyrie Profile: Hrist
Metal Gear Rising 2: Re-Revengeance
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
f a n c y (10/19/2017), Kieron_ODuibhir (10/12/2017)
Old 10/12/2017   #12
Kieron_ODuibhir

...I'm trying to figure out it Dungeonmaster Hater Of Food was banned for spamming about hatred of the comestibles industry or for unrelated reasons.

FancySycamoreTree wrote: But speaking of flanderised emo-ness, I believe a common theory about Cloud's general mopiness in AC is that he was suffering through an episode of depression even though I'm almost certain 'depression' isn't a condition that's recognised in Japan? which HEY! Guess who's else undergoes that??

So, yeah, whilst he ain't my fave, I like him plenty because I empathise a lot with try character. Of course, I'm probably just projecting my own personality onto him, but then, I think everyone does that to an extent with fictional peeps.
XD Especially game protagonists like Cloud.

AC Cloud is written as <em>pretty severely</em> depressed imo, which is actually kinda...not great considering they pretty clearly did it to have an excuse to make the movie not a team story, and they don't explain or contextualize anything well in the theatrical cut, and they chose to have Tifa yell at him about not having enough determination or caring enough about his loved ones when he is literally dying of death and treat it like a pep talk and then...left her behind for no reason while he went to another continent to rescue a bunch of children at her insistence?

And the expanded materials basically state that you make yourself vulnerable to Geostigma by being sad and afraid to die, which I generally choose to ignore because it's bullshit. Not a great treatment of the subject. :[

But I do love Cloud, and his awkward grouchy goofy goodness. I'm glad AC showed him being good even if they were also all blame-you-for-the-weakness-of-being-susceptible-to-trauma.
Kieron_ODuibhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
f a n c y (10/12/2017)
Old 10/12/2017   #13
Minato

Kadaj in the movie implies depression is a common sympton of Geostigma.
Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Kieron_ODuibhir (10/12/2017)
Old 10/12/2017   #14
Kieron_ODuibhir

Really? Cool. I missed that. But yeah, as a symptom it makes perfect sense, but I was told 'On The Way To A Smile' defines it (and 'fear of death') as the primary risk factor, which...I would be more okay with if the main group of sufferers we see weren't little kids.

comorbidity blah blah

Last edited by Kieron_ODuibhir; 10/12/2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: fixing my goddamn italics again i am way too used to having all my fandom discssions on AO3
Kieron_ODuibhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
f a n c y (10/12/2017)
Old 10/12/2017   #15
Blade

Somebody just told me that character development =/= character strength.

Like SPIT it isn't!
^Here's hoping for:
Valkyrie Profile: Hrist
Metal Gear Rising 2: Re-Revengeance
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote