The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 04/03/2018   #1
X-SOLDIER
Default Interesting Post-Release Versions of Films

It seems like more and more lately, we've been seeing directors releasing interesting cuts of their films after they're released that AREN'T Director's Cuts, Extended Editions, or Re-cuts of the film, but rather the film as it is but in some sort of altered version. I wanted to sort of discuss the idea of those in general, as well as share some of them that folks might not've known about. It feels like some of these are the sorts of vision that Directors want, but studios are afraid of monetarily insofar as RoI, whereas others are just neat experiments that are clearly meant to be supplemental to the film itself.

The BluRay release of The Mist got a Black & White release.

YouTube Video

Logan also got a Black & White release as Logan Noir:

YouTube Video

Fury Road got its release in Black & White Chrome

YouTube Video

Additionally, The Last Jedi got a Score-Only version of the film on its release:

YouTube Video

If you know of any other things like this, or have thoughts and whatnot, please share!

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (04/06/2018)
Old 04/04/2018   #2
Lex

There's a version of Gone With the Wind that's in colour, that's kind of the only thing I can think of that would fit in this category. The original is one of my friend's favourite movies but she's not a purist, so she loves the colour version aswell.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
looneymoon (04/05/2018), The Twilight Mexican (04/06/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/04/2018)
Old 04/05/2018   #3
Cthulhu

There was this weird little Japanese CGI movie that was released not long before HDTV became commonplace / feasible; they added additional scenes and re-released it on blu-ray. Off course, they couldn't be fucked to re-render the original scenes so those were just upscaled, so there's a bit of a jarring quality difference there. Still, those extra scenes added a bit of depth to the movie I guess. I forgot what it was called, ascent child or something?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (04/06/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/05/2018)
Old 04/05/2018   #4
Tennyo

Lex wrote: There's a version of Gone With the Wind that's in colour, that's kind of the only thing I can think of that would fit in this category. The original is one of my friend's favourite movies but she's not a purist, so she loves the colour version aswell.
I never realized Gone with the Wind wasn't originally in color. That's the only version you can get and the only one I've ever seen played on TV. O_o
Old 04/06/2018   #5
Lex

I looked it up after posting and you're right, it's relatively hard to find the original black and white version

I know my friend has it, because she made a big deal about getting a colour version on DVD. I think I've only seen it in black and white.

Especially for me, by the awesome GLD!
Serving legendaries with mah Pokécrew.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (04/06/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/06/2018)
Old 04/06/2018   #6
Tetsujin

Gone With the Wind was shot in color, that is the original version.

Also, Gravity. Apparently there is a "Silent Space" version on home media that omits the score for an authentic space experience. I only own the regular version though.

Last edited by Tetsujin; 04/06/2018 at 08:34 AM.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
looneymoon (04/08/2018), Obsidian Fire (04/06/2018), The Twilight Mexican (04/06/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/06/2018)
Old 04/06/2018   #7
Obsidian Fire

I thought Gone with the Wind was color from the start. I've seen colorized black and white movies before and you can always tell that they were first shot in black and white. Gone with the Wind doesn't have that feeling.
looneymoon (04/08/2018), The Twilight Mexican (04/09/2018), X-SOLDIER (04/06/2018)