The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Site, Forums, Staff & Projects > Active Projects & Events

Active Projects & Events Discussion on current TLS projects

Old 05/18/2018   #226
Joe

I think I speak for everyone here when I say we endeavour to remain respectful and considerate to all on this board regardless of the subject matter. Thank you everyone for your continued decency. I believe any oversights in this regard are simply that: oversights. Those of us lucky enough not to have an intimate understanding of such things will undoubtedly make occasional blunders, but it is how we conduct ourselves after that defines us. Proud of you all.

As a side-note, nothing related to this mishandling will reflect in my judging.

Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
BforBrigitta (05/18/2018), f a n c y (05/18/2018), Minato (05/18/2018)
Old 05/18/2018   #227
f a n c y

Channy wrote: Yeah that’s definitely my bad. I kept meaning to put a disclaimer at the end of a post noting that this wasn’t how I really felt in he matter and am just getting caught up in the heat of debate.

i feel like a shit now
^I was ninja’d by Joe (), but right, what he said. We have our occasional slip ups eh. Let’s continue to be awesome and kick the ass and the things and stuff.

Speaking of which... you lot have about 6 and a half hours left to do just that.
f a n c y is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
BforBrigitta (05/18/2018), Channy (05/18/2018), Joe (05/18/2018), Minato (05/18/2018)
Old 05/18/2018   #228
f a n c y

DON’T BE RUSHIN’ TO TYPE NOW CUZ IT’S OVER!

This marks the end of round 1-4!

Spectators (and the audience!*) have 24 hours to cast their votes (either by posting in this thread or messaging me privately) for the champion that they have been swayed to stand behind. Our esteemed spectators this round are...

Fancy
Joe
solo player sab

At this time, spectators and audience members are allowed to post their thoughts on the match. Players are NOT ALLOWED to counter any of these comments with new arguments or to continue ‘battling’ in general. Any attempt to do so will count as an automatic loss for your team. Players are free, however, to pay compliments to your opponents and such. ^^

Players!

If you’d like to opt out of participating in the next round, tell me so now.. Otherwise, I’m going to assume you’re still playing and you’re going to be reshuffled into a new team.

In General

If anyone (players, spectators, audience, anyone) has any feedback, questions, or concerns regarding the rules, please post that in the master thread here. It’ll be easier for me to keep track of/find your feedback this way for future reference. Thank you!

Any non-participant who’d like to be shuffled into a team, please say so now.

Last edited by f a n c y; 05/18/2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05/18/2018   #229
Minato

FancySycamoreTree wrote: ^Speaking of suicide.

I’ve just gone through the posts, and I kindly ask that players please try and refrain from bringing up the subject matter. I ask that players especially refrain from suggesting in any way, shape, or form that Gillian’s being suicidal is a reflection of weak character. It’s a symptom of a mental illness, not one’s ‘weak will’.
I don't think Crisis Core was saying Gillian was mentally ill so much as that seeing the product of her old work coming back to kill everyone she has come to know over the past 20 years, as well as be used to enslave the minds of an army of SOLDIERs, seeing Genesis and Angeal grow up to discover what she had done and deciding it makes them cursed monsters, Genesis keeping her alive so the knowledge she possesses might serve his evil purposes, Angeal coming to visit but not being willing to either take her to safety nor stopping Genesis from his killing as yet and finally the potential for herself being turned into a monster and unleashed on innocent victims given the Jenova cells she possesses all made her feel death was the only way out of a nightmare. She may have realised that Shin-Ra was definitely gonna kill her to silence her anyway and that Zack the Puppy didn't yet realise what his "rescue" might ultimately entail and wanted to at least spare someone the kind of guilt she was dealing with.

I've approached these arguments with a "all's fair in love and war" mindset given that, especially with the Neutrals, there are very little facts known about their characters so we gotta play the hand we are dealt to the fullest, I apologise for the mishandling and hope it's understood it doesn't reflect anyone's views on suicide.
Minato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
Ergo (05/18/2018), f a n c y (05/18/2018), JBedford (05/18/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (05/18/2018)
Old 05/18/2018   #230
f a n c y

Minato wrote:
FancySycamoreTree wrote: ^Speaking of suicide.

I’ve just gone through the posts, and I kindly ask that players please try and refrain from bringing up the subject matter. I ask that players especially refrain from suggesting in any way, shape, or form that Gillian’s being suicidal is a reflection of weak character. It’s a symptom of a mental illness, not one’s ‘weak will’.
I don't think Crisis Core was saying Gillian was mentally ill so much as that seeing the product of her old work coming back to kill everyone she has come to know over the past 20 years, as well as be used to enslave the minds of an army of SOLDIERs, seeing Genesis and Angeal grow up to discover what she had done and deciding it makes them cursed monsters, Genesis keeping her alive so the knowledge she possesses might serve his evil purposes, Angeal coming to visit but not being willing to either take her to safety nor stopping Genesis from his killing as yet and finally the potential for herself being turned into a monster and unleashed on innocent victims given the Jenova cells she possesses all made her feel death was the only way out of a nightmare. She may have realised that Shin-Ra was definitely gonna kill her to silence her anyway and that Zack the Puppy didn't yet realise what his "rescue" might ultimately entail and wanted to at least spare someone the kind of guilt she was dealing with.
That's fair! I understand that, in Gillian's case, she wasn't necessarily driven to take her life because she felt so low in spirit, but because it was a better alternative to dealing with Shinra. I mentioned the whole bit about 'the act' not being a reflection of a weak character because given the language usage surrounding the topic, I thought it might've been triggering/upsetting to some readers. I don't honestly believe that anyone on this board thinks that way, but I think things sorta got 'lost in translation' so to speak?

Minato wrote: I've approached these arguments with a "all's fair in love and war" mindset given that, especially with the Neutrals, there are very little facts known about their characters so we gotta play the hand we are dealt to the fullest, I apologise for the mishandling and hope it's understood it doesn't reflect anyone's views on suicide.
Right, I hear you. And that sentiment still stands! This was something of a tricky case, methinks and only felt like I needed to step in because, again, I thought the language use would prove triggering for some users. Thanks for all you've contributed so far, dear! Look forward to seeing some more asskicking from you in the future.
Old 05/18/2018   #231
Channy

Since the match still being deliberated can I just forfeit the match because I was a ginormous ass about it?

I completely overlooked that this match was outside the 10 or so of us - that anyone on the forum could be reading and there are bound to be some people struggling with those feelings, whether themselves or friends or family. I got caught up in the competition like I always do, completely ignoring repercussions, just like always.

I was a douchecanoe in this match not thinking my words through. And I sincerely apologize to my team mates, my opponents, the spectators both in the thread and off. I can only hope that you’ll forgive me and not assume that this is how I really think of suicide or mental illness. You are all my lovelies and I don’t want to lose any of you as friends. <3

So, why do you come here?
Same as you, I think. I've been here a lot...
You must have a lot going on your mind, I suppose.
Yeah, but I'd rather have nothing for a change. How do you do it?
Well, it comes with practice. I can think of nothing.
I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Channy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
BforBrigitta (05/18/2018), f a n c y (05/18/2018), Teioh (05/18/2018)
Old 05/18/2018   #232
f a n c y

^Aw, I hear ya hunny bun. Like I said, I honestly don’t think that you feel that way and I absolutely believe you when you say you were caught up in the game. I don't think forfeiting is necessary! As a spectator myself, I planned on just discounting those arguments. It was a slip in judgement but it's passed now, eh? We all say shit in the moment that we may wanna take back later on. Goodness knows I've taken my fair share of jokes/banter too far HAHAHAHAHA

We'll do better from now on.

Last edited by f a n c y; 05/18/2018 at 09:37 PM.
Thanked by 3:
BforBrigitta (05/18/2018), Channy (05/19/2018), Joe (05/19/2018)
Old 05/18/2018   #233
Clement Rage

Might be fairest to just call this a draw and move on?
Old 05/19/2018   #234
Channy

Or that too.

Also why is it called the neutrals? Because these are all third rate npcs?

I do not feel the need to occupy my mind with nonsense, just to avoid thinking about what really matters.

Old 05/19/2018   #235
f a n c y

^Yes

Also

There has to be a winner in order for the brackets to work. Either that or I can abandon the brackets altogether, but I rather like using the tool.

I personally see no problem with voting as there were other things to consider. Note that the way I'm choosing the vote isn't neccesarily the way other folks are voting.

Last edited by f a n c y; 05/19/2018 at 01:20 AM.
Thanked by:
Joe (05/19/2018)
Old 05/19/2018   #236
Channy

I’m good with either way but I still feel like an ass and have no problem forfeiting the match.

Gillian’s a slag.

There, I continued to debate after the debate was over. Our team loses

Old 05/19/2018   #237
Joe

I gotta keep this pretty brief as I'm in the midst of a long shift at work (and a busy one) but wanted you guys to see how I voted! As before I used the same method to determine a winner. Not a whole lot of memes and humour spliced in here so it was very formulaic.

My Winner
Gillian

While both combatants seem to lack much experience outside of massive speculation, only one has the competitive edge with her Jenova cells. Neither participant demonstrates much desire to fight the other, and neither seems to have experience inflicting violence. This all comes down to their personal capabilities. With years of experience and 'superhuman' cells, Gillian takes the edge over the child.

My MVP
Ergo

I feel he defended his character very well and repeatedly pointed out his opponent side's main weakness: their overeliance on the same, already refuted argument.

Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 4:
BforBrigitta (05/19/2018), Ergo (05/19/2018), f a n c y (05/19/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (05/19/2018)
Old 05/19/2018   #238
f a n c y
Default ROUND 1-4 WINNER

Chin up y'all, the game continues!

The spectators have spectated and the audience has voted.
It was a close one, but…

Round 1-4’s Winner is…

EXCEPT HER NAME IS ACTUALLY CHOLE, MY BAD.

VICTORY GOES TO TEAM CHOCOBO

Spectator’s MVP

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*Ergo Proxy*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The ‘pool’ that we’re drawing team players from
  1. BforBrigitta
  2. Channy
  3. Clement Rage
  4. Ergo Proxy
  5. Fancy (will spectate if neccesary)
  6. Joe - spectating (when he gets the time)
  7. InterfaceLeader (on weekends)
  8. LicoriceAllsorts
  9. Minato
  10. solo player sab - spectating

We're going to be joined by InterfaceLeader this next round! Let me know if anyone has a problem with this list and look forward to the next battle post!

Last edited by f a n c y; 05/19/2018 at 05:12 PM.
Thanked by 2:
Joe (05/19/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (05/19/2018)
Old 05/19/2018   #239
Ergo

FancySycamoreTree wrote: Chin up y'all, the game continues!

The spectators have spectated and the audience has voted.
It was a close one, but…

Round 1-4’s Winner is…

EXCEPT HER NAME IS ACTUALLY CHOLE, MY BAD.

VICTORY GOES TO TEAM CHOCOBO

Spectator’s MVP

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*Ergo Proxy*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The ‘pool’ that we’re drawing team players from
  1. BforBrigitta
  2. Channy
  3. Clement Rage
  4. Ergo Proxy
  5. Fancy (will spectate if neccesary)
  6. Joe - spectating (when he gets the time)
  7. InterfaceLeader (on weekends)
  8. LicoriceAllsorts
  9. Minato
  10. solo player sab - spectating

We're going to be joined by InterfaceLeader this round! Let me know if anyone has a problem with this list and look forward to the next battle post!

Deep into that darkness peering,
long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting,
dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
Ergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 3:
f a n c y (05/19/2018), Joe (05/19/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (05/19/2018)
Old 05/19/2018   #240
f a n c y
Default Battle Post - ROUND 1-5

Round 1-5

Your Teams...

Minato
InterfaceLeader
Clement Rage
Ergo Proxy

Channy
LicoriceAllsorts
Bforbrigitta
FancySycamoreTree

Your Champions...

VS

The Location...

Train Graveyard

Johnny - An escapee of the Midgar slums who lived for a time in Costa del Sol before (somewhat) returning to his roots and opening a bar in Edge. Is not actually Cloud Strife’s childhood friend...
Are you ready Team Chocobo?

”Old Guy” - Gave a lift to First Class Zack Fair and a comatose Cloud Strife in his truck on their way towards Midgar. He dropped them off on That Cliff on That Fateful Day…
Are you ready Team Moogle?

The countdown begins when the first team player posts!
Thanked by 4:
InterfaceLeader (05/19/2018), Joe (05/19/2018), LicoriceAllsorts (05/19/2018), Teioh (05/19/2018)