The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 10/21/2017   #61
Interslicery

There's an easy way to bypass the grind of act 4. Let them take over your fortress (make sure any orcs you wanna keep arnt defending, just in case they die), then just retake it. It's funner, you get more exp, and you don't have to grind orcs (ew). You can also just hit start and select leave mission to instantly fail the siege.

Last edited by Interslicery; 10/21/2017 at 05:19 PM.
Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (10/21/2017)
Old 10/21/2017   #62
Kermitu Kleric Katie

Interslicery wrote: There's an easy way to bypass the grind of act 4. Let them take over your fortress (make sure any orcs you wanna keep arnt defending, just in case they die), then just retake it. It's funner, you get more exp, and you don't have to grind orcs (ew). You can also just hit start and select leave mission to instantly fail the siege.
Or you can do what the publisher wants you to do and pay for their stupid microtransactions, because it's clearly the reason "the grind" exists in the first place. (SPOILER) If you couldn't tell, I was being tongue-in-cheek here. Please don't ever actually pay for microtransactions in a game you pay for. I'm honestly appalled at the number of people who say the microtransactions have no effect on the game and then complain about "the grind", apparently not being able to put two-and-two together and realize "the grind" exists in order to tempt you into paying for the microtransactions.
Old 10/21/2017   #63
X-SOLDIER

Haven't even hit Act III yet, but I feel like even if I don't, I fucking love the, "grinding" aspects of the game. Like… I spend a SHITTON of time just wandering and hunting captains for the fun of it. I will take the advice into account though, so thanks for the heads up!!!~

Also, have you met your Nemesis Forge Follower, and are the circumstances cool?

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017   #64
Interslicery

I'm honestly aren't sure if I did or not, I did that back in July and forgot who my nemesis was Hah
If I had run into them, it wasn't anything special, if I remember correctly. I thought it might have been when you do this pit fight in act 1, but then you wouldn't have the chance to dominate them
Also, most of the game is act 2. Act 3 is like, a half hour or so.

Edit: One siege away from finishing act 4. If you dominate as many captains as you can during assaults, you don't have to grind at all.

Edit 2: I'll spoiler tag this, even tho it has nothing to do with the game, happens mid credits (SPOILER) While I can appreciate the thought that went behind the memorial video, we don't know this guy :/ It's kinda out of place to have a full on 3 min video of pictures of this guy. I dunno.. maybe I'm just heartless

Last edited by Interslicery; 10/23/2017 at 11:17 AM.
Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (10/23/2017)
Old 10/24/2017   #65
Lucis Caelum

So far, how would you rate the game X?
Lucis Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (10/24/2017)
Old 10/24/2017   #66
X-SOLDIER

So far, the only TRUE negative thing I've run into is that I don't like fighting the Overlords at the end of big assault battles. I'm kind of shit at dealing with massive combat when I can't choose to back off and retreat the way that I want to (Stealth is never an option, which means it's an excellent weakness for an Overlord), and when you've massively plowed through the enemy defenses with all your huge assault force at your back, it feels lame to have to go in and battle the biggest and baddest captain all on your own – especially when he can just summon up an endless sea of grunts to protect himself constantly, but my LITERAL ARMY is just standing outside doing nothing, but holding all the enemy grunts outside captive, and never coming to my aid. I had armour that heals me when I'm on fire, and it's apparently VERY hard to intentionally set yourself a blaze on those spouting jets of flame. Plus, you're going to appoint a different Orc Captain as Overlord as soon as it falls anyway, so why fucking bother not using other captains to help run him down? That's more of a personal gripe though, but it's the only gameplay thing at this point that I don't like that much. (4:18:10 is where I did all this on my latest run, and you can tell the exact moment when it turns into absolute tedium – exacerbated by my bodyguard getting stuck).

My super minor issue, is that getting betrayed for no discernable reason really blows. Like, I had a badass Bodyguard who I stomped around with a ton in Saragost during my latest outing, and I saved him from bleeding out near countless times, we took out a bunch of guys together all over the place. I called him in to help me battle another captain a little before I was ready to take the outpost, and he just turned on me. (2:56:00 in my wandering video).

Like... I get it when I went to try and convert a guy's Blood Brother, and accidentally killed him, his Blood Brother betrayed and came after me. That stuff's cool, but it seems like there're some mechanics deep in the Nemesis System that don't make themselves apparent enough to feel meaningful or earned. I dunno if that gets explained or anything later on – since the Orcs do turn on each other a lot, but your squad felt more loyal in Shadow of Mordor, and it makes your influence as the Bright Lord feel incredibly weak in comparison (ESPECIALLY since you're doing it by using a fucking Ring of Power directly on them). I've kinda missed that SoM safety & loyalty since more than half of my betrayals haven't felt warranted, and two have been from my bodyguards, but that might be a part of the thing in the story (barely just got to Gorgototh last night), but I am very particular about my Orc Captains and investing in them only to have them screw you out of that stuff bites.

Insofar as the game itself – I've been enjoying the hell out of the story, the update to the mechanics – even the ones that can be unfortunate – have all been overwhelmingly fun as hell to deal with as they come. I've been pouring over doing every little extra thing I can as well. I wish that the weapons were a little less RNG, or that there were a way to invest more specifically in things with attributes that you liked – like being able to pull one off and put it into something different, but I'm still a WAYS off from being anywhere close to having a Legendary Gear set, so we'll see how that feels later on.

Overall, it's still sitting at an 8-9 for me at this point. I've poured a shitton of hours into the game, and I haven't even remotely regretting a single minute of time that I've spent doing so.

On that note: Here's my last playthrough stuff, and then a bunch of misc. other moments I enjoyed:

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Old 04/03/2018   #67
X-SOLDIER

Large changes coming this summer, involving the total removal of microtransactions and overhaul of end game content: https://www.pcgamer.com/middle-earth...ng-loot-boxes/

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 2:
Cthulhu (04/05/2018), Shademp (04/03/2018)
Old 04/05/2018   #68
Cthulhu

I might consider getting it by then,
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (04/06/2018)
Old 07/19/2018   #69
X-SOLDIER

The game is now free of all microtransactions. This might be the refresh I need to actually jump in and finish the game, since I got distracted about halfway through.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by 2:
Cthulhu (07/20/2018), Joe (07/19/2018)
Old 07/20/2018   #70
Cthulhu

Maybe it's worth playing now. Maybe.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (07/20/2018)