The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Gaming

Gaming Discuss all things gaming in this subsection.

Old 04/25/2013   #1
Novus
Default Nier

Has anyone here played this game? I bought it due to lack of RPGS for the PS3 and it has been once of the most enriching experiences I've had with a videogame. It's gradually gathering pace now, but the main twist of it is that once completed play through B) is a completely different experience exposing you to the truth.
It's also dark as hell. If you ever played Drakengard, which i bought after thinking it would be the same thing and was heavily dissapointed, then think of that game as an extremely rough draft of what you get here.

One of the main characters is a hermaphrodite yes but that's party of the mythology.
Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2nPvrOZVGc
(and yes it's a hack and slash but that adds to it also).
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Splintered (04/25/2013)
Old 04/25/2013   #2
Splintered

I really enjoyed Nier, but I can't bring myself to get the last ending Ending spoilers as it erases all of your data and you have to watch it. My brother got the ending first and we knew it was coming but it was still like "shit..."

I think the gameplay was probably the weakest point but it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. If it was given a bigger budget I think it could have been amazing.

The best part about it was the story and characters by far. Each of them are interesting, Weiss is one of my favorite characters now. And the story is all sorts of tragic although (SPOILER) after the first ending I didn't get everything, I had to wiki up some of the answers and then realized that I effectively doomed civilization to get my daughter back.

And the second playthrough when Nier was just slaughtering everything and you don't realize until later they were all innocent. I've seen people have mixed feelings about that, like it went too far with what they were saying. But I thought it was a perfect set up for a villainous heroish deal. I dunno.

I liked this game so much I was about to try Drakengard... but from what I heard I don't want to. Pedophile heroes, yeah I know it's trying to subversive, but screaming DARK SUBVERSION doesn't make a good or compelling story. Nier was a perfect balance imo.

One of the main characters is a hermaphrodite yes but that's party of the mythology.
I think they handled her beautifully. I mean, the clothes were pretty classless but everything down to her story was nicely done, and you don't even really know she is until your second playthrough, and then it's done subtly and a lot of what she says (at least to Emil) makes more sense.

Splintered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2013   #3
ForceStealer

I got this coming up on a year ago now on high recommendations. I've been distracted by a million other things but I am slowly making progress. The game doesn't really call me to it, if that makes sense, but once I get myself to start playing it I usually enjoy myself. I'm looking forward to progressing further.
The graphics don't really look PS3, but they really remind me of Shadow of the Colossus which is not a bad thing. Also the music is freakin excellent.

I'm glad you made the thread

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2013   #4
Philco

I haven't actually played it but I think I saw some artwork for it once annnd based on that alone I remember thinking that it looked pretty interesting... it got my attention anyway. But for ages I didn't have anything I could play it on so I made do with just listening to the soundtrack for it instead because yh, the music is great

Wasn't there Nier Gestalt released in Japan as well? For those who preferred a younger protagonist - the guy was out to save his sister rather than his daughter or something...
Philco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2013   #5
Novus

Philco wrote: Wasn't there Nier Gestalt released in Japan as well? For those who preferred a younger protagonist - the guy was out to save his sister rather than his daughter or something...
Its the exact same game except yes as you said, brother instead of father. Because they didn't think Japan would dig an older protagonist.
And it's known as Nier Replicant, we (the west) got Nier Gestalt.
From watching playthroughs of Nier Replicant the older protagonist is better because in terms of plot-line you have that parental love bond + he's more unconventional.

Last edited by Novus; 04/25/2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04/25/2013   #6
Splintered

Actually I'm positive it was the opposite, it was originally a brother and they were told that it wouldn't click with Western audiences so they aged him up.

There are a few things that make a little more sense when it comes to his companions like (SPOILER) the timeskip being more dramatic, the hinting of romantic feelings between him and Kaine doesn't look as odd, and you get to figure out Emil is gay and in love with Nier

But otherwise, I like old!Nier better. So maybe they were right? I dunno, I think a father-daughter connection feels more relatable and him and Weiss acting like an old bickering couple is hilarious.

And the music is frigging amazing.

Thanked by:
Alex Strife (04/25/2013)
Old 04/25/2013   #7
Novus

Splintered wrote: Actually I'm positive it was the opposite, it was originally a brother and they were told that it wouldn't click with Western audiences so they aged him up.

There are a few things that make a little more sense when it comes to his companions like (SPOILER) the timeskip being more dramatic, the hinting of romantic feelings between him and Kaine doesn't look as odd, and you get to figure out Emil is gay and in love with Nier

But otherwise, I like old!Nier better. So maybe they were right? I dunno, I think a father-daughter connection feels more relatable and him and Weiss acting like an old bickering couple is hilarious.

And the music is frigging amazing.

Yes you're right, Replicant was released first but the decision to make two versions one for the west and one for the east came even earlier I believe. I was clarifying the split.

(SPOILER) And I didn't actually consider the Emil with Nier pairing which on a closer look of the Replicant play through is defo homoerotic nor that certain scene you mentioned.

To me its the same character though, mindless pursuit to save his closest family member.

And the Kaine pairing in Gestalt isn't that odd in light of the rest of the Drakengard verse.
Thanked by:
Splintered (04/25/2013)
Old 04/25/2013   #8
Novus

Splintered wrote:
(SPOILER) And the second playthrough when Nier was just slaughtering everything and you don't realize until later they were all innocent. I've seen people have mixed feelings about that, like it went too far with what they were saying. But I thought it was a perfect set up for a villainous heroish deal. I dunno.
(SPOILER)

So long as it’s communicated well, and even then I’m open because I wouldn’t judge a criticism too harshly on its delivery either.

For me it’s like the treatment of the Orcs from LOTR, they kill every last one of them, take no prisoners of war and even if they did judging by Aragorn’s treatment of their superiors (murdering MouthofS) tells me they would undergo extreme abuse. Then we have a huge genocide at the end.
With Nier you get a much more rounded explanation, + not all Shades were good. If you remember (and played the Sidequests) one hides within the body of a murdered girl and plan to storm FaÁade killing everyone.

The best part for me was the Shadow Lord's castle, I expected it to be fire and brimstone got a pretty garden instead.

RE: Drakengard, the pedo stuff was removed from the western cut. The game is just a chore in terms of gameplay and nothing in its looks that interesting anyway.

They're bringing out a Drakengard 3 though, and I'm looking forward to it. Same director as Nier (Taro) and same composer too.
Old 04/25/2013   #9
Splintered

They're bringing out a Drakengard 3 though, and I'm looking forward to it. Same director as Nier (Taro) and same composer too.
Is there a big difference between Nier and Drakengard? Because I really want a sequel to Nier but I suppose it's the same thing because Drakengard shares the universe? (SPOILER) Well considering that civilization is doomed because of Nier, I suppose a sequel wouldn't work?

If it's like Nier I'll take it, same composer doesn't hurt.

And the Kaine pairing in Gestalt isn't that odd in light of the rest of the Drakengard verse.
Yeah, although I didn't come from Drakengard so the hintings at first looked odd. But all things considered I really like how well they did it.

I just really love the characters in general. It was a great cast and they all bounced off each other fantastically.

Old 04/26/2013   #10
The Pyro

Splintered wrote: Is there a big difference between Nier and Drakengard? Because I really want a sequel to Nier but I suppose it's the same thing because Drakengard shares the universe? (SPOILER) Well considering that civilization is doomed because of Nier, I suppose a sequel wouldn't work?
Actually Nier is an alternate reality to Drakengard and Drakengard 2. Drakengard 2 is the sequel to Drakengard's Ending A, while Nier follows Drakengard's Ending E (SPOILER) the one where Caim and Angelus have a rhythm game battle against a giant pregnant cannibal goddess thing in real world Tokyo which is what sets off the end of the world in Nier. Its a very weird thing.

If it's like Nier I'll take it, same composer doesn't hurt.
Yeah, Drakengard's music mostly consists of grating, chaotic, discordant noise. It really sets the mood for just what kind of game it is, but its not overly pleasant

Also, for anyone who wants the Drakengard experience (or 2, or Nier) without actually playing (and with a hilarious load of mocking thrown in), I recommend the Let's Plays by The Dark Id (oh he who brought us the vastly entertaining Dirge of Cerberus LP). http://lparchive.org/author/The%20Dark%20Id <-- Go, laugh.

Yeah, I got more to brag about than ever...
The Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Splintered (04/26/2013)
Old 04/27/2013   #11
Philco

And it's known as Nier Replicant, we (the west) got Nier Gestalt.

Ah yh, that was it. I think in some ways then, Replicant is actually the one that appeals to me more. Iím more used to that character type.
But thanks for reminding me that this game even exists. If I donít get round to playing Nier this summer then I guess Iíll just have to watch that LP instead. So thanks for the link!
Philco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2015   #12
Tetsujin

I've never played the first one but I'm interested now what with the sequel being developed by Platinum:

YouTube Video
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Dark and Divine (10/31/2015), X-SOLDIER (10/30/2015)
Old 10/31/2015   #13
ForceStealer

So Platinum's basically developer for rent these days?

hitoshura wrote: Don't belittle my peoples, bitch. We work hard and we do what we're told. And might possibly be Scottish.
ultima espio wrote: I'm not sure if it was a BOMB, it could have been MAKO, KING, BEST, or ORBS.
ForceStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2015   #14
Tetsujin

Always been.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2015   #15
Ghost X

It is like Platinum's previous releases have simply been given a new skin .

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Member You'd Most Want to Meet.

2017 1st Runner-Up -- Best Voice.

2017 2nd Place Winner -- Most Likely To Back Out Of A Fight But Remain... Victorious.
Ghost X is offline   Reply With Quote