The Lifestream Home The Lifestream Forums The Lifestream Shop Donate to The Lifestream
The Lifestream

ARCHIVED FORUMS

Hello. You are currently viewing the old vBulletin forums, which are now in readonly archive mode.
Please go to https://thelifestream.net/forums to go to the current forums.

Go Back   The Lifestream Forums > Topical > Entertainment

Entertainment Poast about movies, television, animé, books, and pyrotechnics in the distance here. Music topics go in The Venue.

Old 01/24/2017   #1
Interslicery
Default Unbreakable, Split, & Glass

Seriously... If you ever thought M.Night was a good director, see Split.

Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (01/24/2017)
Old 01/24/2017   #2
The Twilight Mexican

Not sure which way you're going. Elaborate, please?
Thanked by:
X-SOLDIER (01/24/2017)
Old 01/24/2017   #3
Interslicery

He's coming back to what he started out as. Plus, things.

Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (01/24/2017), X-SOLDIER (01/24/2017)
Old 01/24/2017   #4
Mr. Ite

I don't know... the movie seems very problematic from its core premise. There was another movie that came out in the early 2000s with a similar kind of idea (and the MPD aspect was kind of a Shamylanian twist in that film) and in both the instance of watching that movie and the trailer for Split I got a feeling of uneasiness, that this very real condition was being used to create a villain, with no regard to how it might villainize people with that (again, real) condition. Other instances that use the DID/MPD to create villains are Me, Myself and Irene, the Lord of the Rings, and that thing we don't talk about. I'm not saying any of these movies are bad or that there's no room in film to explore characters with disorders, but the pattern I see makes a boogeyman out of them, so I thought I'd address it.

For those that have seen the film: is it a Jekyll & Hyde plot device, or does it approach the condition with a degree of sensitivity that reflects our better understanding of said condition?
Mr. Ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
The Twilight Mexican (01/24/2017)
Old 01/24/2017   #5
Interslicery

WeHis doctor is very understanding and sympathetic towards his condition, and for the most part, only a handful of his personalities actually have malicious intent. The rest are just regular people, and each personality is treated as it's own, separate person. Also, his doctor is on a crusade to show the medical community that it is a real condition, that should be understood, and its people cared for.
While your concerns about how it's treated are valid, aside from him having DiD, there's nothing indicating that the condition is the issue, only that some of the personalities are harmful.

P.s. I should say that I treat anything like this completely separate from the real world, as in I treat any portrayal of mental issues, or sickness, etc as movie constructs. With some basis in reality, but ultimately purely changed for theatric reasons. I don't know much about DiD in real life, so I have no say about how accurate and sensitive it's actually portrayed in the movie.
Some people do have problems with it, but from what I understand it mainly stems from the fact that the villain has this disorder, and it perpetuates a stigma. I don't see that, but again, I treat the movies as the movies, and real life as real life. Not saying people who would find it offensive are wrong, but I just don't see it in that way.

Also, there's one aspect that I feel diminishes any offense you may have with it, but I can't comment on that.

Last edited by Interslicery; 01/24/2017 at 09:03 AM.
Thanked by 3:
Mr. Ite (01/24/2017), The Twilight Mexican (01/24/2017), X-SOLDIER (01/24/2017)
Old 01/24/2017   #6
The Twilight Mexican

Hm. Well, I'm interested enough to try it. Just hope it's better than "Identity." 'Cause fuck "Identity," and especially fuck its misleading trailer.
Thanked by:
Interslicery (01/24/2017)
Old 01/24/2017   #7
Interslicery

Haven't seen identity, so cant confirm.

Old 01/24/2017   #8
X-SOLDIER

Was waiting on someone I trusted to deliver similar comments, as I've yet to venture out to see this, but am now properly intrigued. Hoping that this will be the second film of his I enjoy. (I liked Unbreakable, but LOATHED the Sixth Sense — granted I figured that the "twist" was commonly assumed knowledge from the start of the film, so it was largely disappointing).

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

~ | G+ | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | DA | TLS | FFOF | FF | SCL | KC | CC | ~
X-SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Interslicery (01/24/2017)
Old 01/24/2017   #9
Interslicery

Let me know what you think. I really wanna talk about what this movie does, with someone.

Thanked by 2:
The Twilight Mexican (02/07/2017), X-SOLDIER (01/24/2017)
Old 02/06/2017   #10
X-SOLDIER

Hey Inter, question before seeing this: (SPOILER) Seriously a spoiler
I take no responsibility for anyone reading this
I found out the twist element and want to know — is it worth it for me to refamiliarize myself with said twist before seeing this to fully appreciate it? It feels like it would be worth it, but I wanna know how big of an impact it'd have.

(I know I spoiler tagged it, but I'm still attempting to be as ambiguous as possible in case I'd be better being familiar after-the-fact rather than prior to seeing it).

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

Shademp – on the subject of my seemingly boundless optimism wrote: After Ungoliant had sucked the light from the trees Telperion and Laurelin, she found that there was a third tree but whose light was too potent and immortal for her to absorb. Thusly, Ungoliant left Valinor in tears for she could not absorb the light of the tree named X-SOLDIER.

#TotzCanon

Old 02/06/2017   #11
Interslicery

(SPOILER) awww... It got spoiled for you? That blows... I would say, yes. Depending how much you remember. It comes down to themes, more than anything, in relation to that. It's why you don't really see it coming.

Old 02/06/2017   #12
X-SOLDIER

Interslicery wrote: (SPOILER) awww... It got spoiled for you? That blows... I would say, yes. Depending how much you remember. It comes down to themes, more than anything, in relation to that. It's why you don't really see it coming.
(SPOILER) Yeah, that's what I get for waiting a lot longer than normal before seeing a movie. :\ Hopefully I'll be able to recoup for it, as I remember literally none of that other than I know I enjoyed it way back when, so I might get down to doing a back-to-back sorta thing if I can.

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Thanked by:
Interslicery (02/06/2017)
Old 02/07/2017   #13
Addy Carver

I never considered Jim Carrey's character to be a villain in Me, Myself and Irene, but then I did cheer at some of his antics like curling one on his neighbour's lawn. This discussion probably deserves it's own thread but a bit more multifaceted because I'd like a dialogue about the Chernobyl Diaries - I've not seen it but can't help but think it's phenomenally poor taste.

EDIT: I thought Split looked like total wank when I saw the first trailer, but I'm intrigued enough to want to see it now.
Gold Most Likely to out Bitchslap a bitch on the Sister Ray or some shit
Silver Crack Ship (Cthulhage)
Silver Cheekiest Bastard
Bronze Most Likely to Burn Down a Village
Bronze Most Sage/Knowledgeable
Copper Best Arse
Copper Would Like to Bang Most
Addy Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by 2:
Teioh (02/07/2017), The Twilight Mexican (02/07/2017)
Old 04/26/2017   #14
X-SOLDIER

Spoilers are full out. It's sequel time: http://io9.gizmodo.com/glass-the-seq...l-b-1794669298

X

…Xenomorphaux Pas…

#TotzCanon

Old 04/27/2017   #15
Pixel

Shyamalan hasn't evolved as a writer. He's still pumping out crap that you should get out of your system in film school. Half assed dialogue that doesnt make any attempt at hiding that its all exposition. Blatant, beat you over the head symbolism. It's like every line he writes, he thinks would be a cool moment or reveal. Max Landis is the same. I will happily never watch one of his movies again.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote